Monday, 9 March 2015

March Mantel

I have been so excited to write March Mantel as it is so alliterative, but as I wrote March Mantel as the title for this post I realised that May Mantel will sound even better, so now I am looking forward to that.

How daft am I!  Actually, don't answer that!  Moving on...

At the beginning of the year I decided to decorate the mantel in a seasonal way each month of the year.  There will probably always be some sort of garland or bunting involved, and I am trying to use only things that I already have around our home, or have made using, as far as possible,  things that I already have. 

Here is my March Mantel - Ta Dah!


I have gone for a springy look inspired by the daffodils.  In some ways I would prefer to keep the daffodils for April, but it will be Easter then so no doubt an eggy or bunny theme will emerge so daffodils in March it is.



The daffodils are based on the pattern for a wreath in issue 28 of Simply Crochet.  These are a variation of the pattern as after making some as directed I started making two colour ones and working the ends of the trumpets slightly differently so that some flared out more than others.  Just like real daffodils!


The daffodils and the chain were made mostly with stash, and the addition of one ball of very scratchy yarn that was about £1.50.  Most of the yarn is Stylecraft, but the scratchy stuff wasn't!  I don't want to say bad things though, so I won't share the brand.  Suffice to say, you get what you pay for, but for daffodils that is fine!  I used the rest of the yarn for my spring wreath which I have yet to show you and for the daffodils that I made for work.  So I estimate the cost for this months mantel to be about 50 pence!  Not bad hey.


I think this one below is my favourite colour combination!


Moving on to the other objects that I have gathered to decorate with.  They have been selected for their colour or decoration.  This little egg has been with me for probably about 25 years and was selected for the little daffodil that it has painted on it - sorry about the fuzzy picture.



You can see where I made this little bunny here.  This was selected for the wonderful yellow colour - he will still be around in April too when the rest of the bunnies come out to play!


I love these trees, although they haven't made an appearance since the autumn.  It is time to bring them out again though.  They were a gift from Sue last year.  The look as though they are blooming and blossoming, so surely had to be included as a sign of spring.


I shared my little bunch of artificial daffodils with you recently.  They are ideal for the mantel as it is very narrow, so fitting a real bunch of flowers onto the mantel is difficult.  These work well though!


These vases spent a lot of time on the mantel, and will probably be in residence now for the rest of the year.  The one on the right was a charity shop purchase last year on holiday.


Sorry, more shots of the daffodil garland!  You can see how 3D they are and how the trumpets really stand out.



Some of you have asked in previous months how I secure the garlands to the mantel.  This is the little secret.  I wrap the end of the garland string into a lump of blu tak.  That is then covered with something decorative, most often I crochet a circle in a coordinating colour to the garland.  To make the circle, chain 4 slip stitch into first chain, chain three, work trebles into the loop until you have a full circle - 17 in this case - and then slip stitch into third stitch of the chain.  Tie off and sew in ends.


I will leave you with a sideways shot.  I don't know why I like these so much, but I do!


Oh, and a dirty little secret.  Just so that you don't think my home is perfect, what I didn't show you was what was just out of shot.  Still draped over a chair is my quilt that I am no further with yet!  It is all about the editing and cropping of the photos!


You can see the previous months mantels below


I am also working on a page showing all of my buntings and garlands, the link will be in my sidebar soon, so keep an eye out for it!

However you are decorating your home this month I hope that you are enjoying it!

Amy

53 comments:

  1. beautiful and bursting with the promise of spring. I love your daffodil banner and you are so talented with the flowers!! March will be bringing in some milder weather, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your March mantel looks very springy and I love the daffodil garland. It really is very pretty. I also like the colour combo that is your favourite. It is to 'warm' up to just below zero Celsius this afternoon. Just a tease I'm sure. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your March Mantel is lovely an real sense of spring, well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The yellows are really beautiful in your mantel decoration. My favorite daffy is the one yellow one with the orange center. The daffodils are blooming now in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fabulous Amy, I love the daffodils. And I think it would be perfectly OK to sneak some in amongst the Easter eggs for your April mantel too!
    I have a Chinese lantern and a greetings card made by little miss to celebrate Chinese New Year on my mantel xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. May be your little secret but I bet the majority have this one. It's amazing what you can hide with a camera even if the camera never lies. March mantel certainly has a Spring feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your daffodils, I need to make some! thank you for sharing your tip for attaching to the mantle xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore those crochet daffodils! I'm still a beginner on the crochet and am just slowly working my way through a beginners crochet book (I've just learnt treble!) and am not brave enough to venture onto any other patterns yet. Also loving those trees, they are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crochet daffodils are very pretty Amy, your March mantel us so spring-like. I like your idea of seasonal decoration X

    ReplyDelete
  10. So so pretty! I absolutely adore your mantel decorations, every month a different one, you are so clever, thank you for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking forward to Spring too Amy. Those daffodils are perfect for your mantel. Love your banner too. Looks like a good way to use up stash yarn. The little trees are adorable too!
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a beautiful job on the daffodils, Amy! So light and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! I love the daffodil banner. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your March mantel looks great Amy - I'm loving those crochet daffs. Have a lovely week. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your daffodils, ours are about done here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. your march mantel is so springlike and cheerful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a pretty garland and mantel. Spring has arrived in your lounge! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH My goodness - I can not say enough how much I LOVE those daffodils!! That is a perfect bunting for this month!! Love love love! The whole mantle looks so nice and Spring like. The yellow everywhere makes me smile. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another lovely mantel. Your daffodil garland is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very pretty Amy, a lovely March matel display:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the mantel, and the alliteration, I look forward to the unveiling each month. My sitting room mantel is out of sight behind the TV. This is deliberate as it is a hideous tiled affair. The sewing room mantel needs some swift attention. I have been galvanised into action by your post. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful, very spring like. I love your garland, daffodils are such cheery flowers, just the thing when we're coming to the end of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  23. And yet again, a lovely mantel !
    Always such fun to see your monthly mantel - revelation !
    Your daffodils are so cute - and the three trees are lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  24. When I read the title I thought you were going full steam ahead on a Hilary Mantel marathon... I'm glad to see your garland, it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love those little daffs - crocheted means they'll be everlasting! It is interesting how they're all a bit different. I bought a bunch the other day and some have orange trumpets, some yellow.
    Have a great week. Hope the weather's better where you are, seems our April showers have come early...
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely daffs - what a great idea for your March mantel! Lots of time and effort has been put in and it shows! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Amy, I do love your witty texts and beautiful photos!
    And of course I love your March Mantel!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Daffodils, my favourite flower, they are just so jolly and yours are absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your mantel looks lovely Amy. The daffodils look really cheerful!

    Happy week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey Amy,
    What a jolly mantel! I spied a lava lamp. Is it an original? Marc bought one last year. It gives the room a lovely orange glow during the evening.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amy I'm a little bit in love with the garland sooo pretty, the mantel looks amazing
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Amy! Oh, what a pretty mantel and you've given yourself a challenge now! You'll have to show us each month's mantel! Now I just love it and your little daffodil garland is just my favorite! I remember you crocheting the blooms! I love it. Enjoy your week.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Spring has definitely arrived in your lounge, a beautiful mantel. I love the crochet daffodil.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your crochet daffodil's do look lovely....
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your mantel is so pretty & perfectly Spring-y! I love the daffodil garland!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your daffodil garland really is so very pretty, and original, Amy. I love it! March in England definitely means daffodils to me, because that is what I saw when I was last there at this time of year. The mantel looks great! xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. A gorgeous March display. The bunting is brilliant, I love how the daffodils are all slightly different, and all like different varieties, you've got them just right. There are one or two unfinished quilts around here as well! I hope you have a good week Amy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. i love the flower garland ... always a fan of flowers .. no matter what kind of real-ness. so cool!! love the bunny too. i have out my St. Patrick's Day decor out ... soon i will get ready for Easter. i love decorating for each holiday. i have done that since i was a little kid. so fun!! i am always a fan to see what you will share from your mantel. fun, fun, fun!!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  39. It looks so nice! You are very creative. I like the way you stick it there and I really like your sideways shot too.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Very very beautiful mantel and so spring.y !!!! Have a lovely day !

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love your daffodils! When I pit my Chritmas garland on our mantlepiece, I tie the ends round candelsticks!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love your March mantel, Amy. Really love the crocheted daffodils and all that yellow. Very cheerful and spring like! X

    ReplyDelete
  43. Those daffodils are great and that is a perfect March mantel. I can't wait to faff around with my own seasonal mantels displays again. x

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh I love the idea of a Seasonal Mantel,I have just peeked at January and February soooo pretty.Wish we had a Mantel lol.x

    ReplyDelete
  45. That yellow bunny is a darling!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  46. That wreath definitely says spring.
    And yes, your house looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Your mantel looks delightful Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Beautiful, bright and very charming March mantel xcx

    ReplyDelete
  49. I do like the idea of decorating the mantel to match the month. I tried changing mine for March to get rid of the hearts but it turns out I don't have many ornaments to make much difference :( Will definitely be doing an Easter theme though. Love your daffodil garland. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx