Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Greenway and Coleton Fishacre

My shoulder continues to improve - which I put down entirely to the good wishes that it has been sent through the airwaves from all of you lovely bloggers!!!  Thank you!  Although I did overdo it a bit yesterday and I really noticed it by the evening.  I should heed all of your warnings to rest it up.  Less arm waving today I think! 

Today I am revisiting another of my early posts.  This is from August 2013 - just the second month that I was blogging!

The pictures were taken probably in April that year.  I thought that it would be a good post to share again so that you can enjoy the beautiful spring flowers at the right time of year!

One of the reasons I wanted to start my blog was to have somewhere to share all the photos that I take and to share the places that I have been.  So, playing catch up a bit here with some of those places from earlier in the year, here are some photos from visits to two National Trust houses, one called Greenway.  This was Agatha Christie's house.  The other is called Coleton Fishacre which was the home of the Rupert D'Oyly Carte of the D'Oyly Carte Opera family.

Both of these houses were interesting in different ways.  Coleton Fishacre was my favourite of the two, which was a surprise to me as having been a lifelong Agatha Christie fan, I thought I would prefer her house, Greenway.


This is the front of Greenway house.

Greenway was left to Agatha's daughter, Rosalind, who lived in the house until her death, so the house was more of a "Christie Family Home" than Agatha Christie's house.  This is completely understandable as of course her daughter was not going to live in the house as though it was preserved in Christie's time, but it did not have the feel that I expected.

It is a difficult balance for the National Trust to strike with all properties in deciding how to present a house and at what time period it is "set".  For example the National Trust house where I volunteer (Basildon Park) is set at the time of the last owners who gave the house to the trust in 1978, and the main flavour of the house is the 1950's because that is when Lord and Lady Illife bought the house.

Greenway has been set as though it was Christie's house, but lived in by her descendants.  Hence less of her feel and more of a house that has continued to evolve.

It was still interesting to visit though and the Dining Room was probably my favourite room.  I could imagine Hercule Poirot in there giving the conclusion to one of his murder mysteries!


The front view of Coleton Fishacre.

Coleton Fishacre was a different matter.  The house was set in the 1920's and the furnishings, carpets etc were correct to the period.  It was also nice to see a more "modern" house as so many historic properties are set in the 18th Century and they start to all feel a bit the same.  Coleton seemed like a home and as though it was somewhere you could actually live (if you had the money of course to pay for the upkeep!).

Coleton was very much a family house, used for family living and it still had that feel.  I was expecting less from this house, and it gave me more - perhaps because of my expectations.  The furnishings were lovely and there was a wonderful lady playing the piano in the drawing room, she got a well deserved round of applause when she finished playing.

A lovely visit!

So, firstly here are my Greenway pictures:-

 

 
I love this front door and the porch.


The house is set on the river bank, and if you take a trip down the river you can see the house through the trees.
 
 

 

 
Of course you know I need flower pictures wherever I go!
 
 

 


One of the boats taking tourists up and down the river.

These are my Coleton Fishacre pictures:-


The back of the house, with the covered patio area below.  Apparently the family used to sit out here for meals quite a lot.




Loved the centre of this old mill wheel, it has been filled with slates on their edges and a series of terracotta plant pots in decreasing sizes.






Again, I need flowers!  Especially the wonderful cherry blossom below.








The water feature ran all through the garden from the rill above, down the water fall and onwards towards the sea.





 
 

The bark on this tree was amazing, slightly rough and a wonderful colour.




This area is called the quarry and some of the stone for the house came from here.

I hope that you got a flavour of both places!

Amy

Greenway and Coleton Fishacre don't know I exist by the way, this is just a report of my day out which I wanted to share.

32 comments:

  1. Glad to read your shoulder improves and you're soon feeling better with it ! Your retrospective is nice... Have a cozy day .... hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coleton Fishacre is one of my favourite NT houses. The garden down to the coastal path in the summer is beautiful. Thanks for taking me back there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Arts and Crafts architecture and gardens so Coleton Fishacre is high on my list of special NT properties. It's location overlooking the Dart Estuary, as you have shown, is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always am interested in the time periods that are chosen to represent places that have evolved over many years. I work on HMS Belfast and that has areas on board which are staged as they would be during different conflicts, WW2 & Korea. It usually takes quite a while before visitors notice that there are hammocks as well as bunks for crew to sleep in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are on the mend, take it easy. Loved the stroll around the gardens, I love the flowers and blossoms at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful places, especially Coleton Fishacre, it looks quite lovely. Nice to see that white magnolia flowering. No doubt they will be out again soon. Please take it really easy Amy, try and just forget things that don't absolutely have to be done and have a nice quiet sit down. You deserve it! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some nice places you visted there though if you read my link you can see where Agatha really did live which is just down the road in Winterbrook. http://graveplace.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/agatha-christie.html Pity the place is not open to the public like the ones you visited

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on the coleton fish acre one, it looks picture perfect. Keep resting Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. From the photos you share, I would choose Coleton Fishacre over Greenacre, they're both lovely though. Glad you're shoulder is improving, hope it continues to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post Amy. glad you are improving. Did you know she had a house in Wallingford too? there is a blue plaque put up there and her grandson still resides in the house. She is also buried in my village! We love her in this household too. My 15 year old is ploughing her way through her books at a rate second to none x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting place, love the history. hope you're shoulder keeps improving xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always wanted to visit Greenway, maybe some day. What I like best about the houses we visit are always the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear your shoulder is slowly improving, these things take time. Your retrospectives are very enjoyable. Take care X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy, the Fishacre house has my vote as well. Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both places are so nice, what amazing gardens. And to actually visit Agatha Christie's house! You're a lucky girl, Amy. Glad to hear the shoulder is on the mend. No don't overdo it.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to know you are feeling better. Hope you continue to heal up quickly.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh so pretty! You visit the best places!
    Glad you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful photos and post . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the photos of the Fishacre property and especially the back porch where they may have dined on a nice evening (or morning!) Thank you for sharing. Take care of that hurt wing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lucky old Agatha! That's the kind of place where I'm sure I could sit and write a book! I love the other house too in its own, very different way, but Agatha's is the one for me! Great post, thanks. xCathy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such lovely photos! Thanks for sharing - I love this kind of stuff. And I'm with you in that I like the charm and feel of the Coleton house a bit more. xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad your shoulder is improving - more healing vibes are winging their way to you!!
    Super photos - I enjoy posts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such wonderful photos, I love visiting places with you Amy! I am just catching up and was sorry about your shoulder but glad it is improving now. Loved seeing all the spring flowers here.....they are just opening here now and it is feeling spring like.
    Take care.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful place! I wasn't in blogland in 2013 so these are all new to me :) Hope your shoulder continues to feel better and you are back to normal soon :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely photos, Amy. Thanks for sharing. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I very much enjoyed this post and was quite excited to see the water feature at the second home having recently seen one at a featured home via Houzz. And it is lovely to see spring...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad your starting to feel a bit better! This is why we need to return to Cornwall. I would love to visit both properties, we are massive Agatha fans! X

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is heaven, I would be happy to visit a place like this!
    Thanks for sharing Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Two places I'd love to visit one day, Amy, especially Greenway:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I agree with your favorite, although both houses are lovely. The Coleton Fishacre house seems more homey.

    Lovely pictures, Amy :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. What gorgeous gardens and settings for these houses. Must be beautiful to visit in spring and early summer.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have never managed to visit these two properties so it was wonderful to see them through your eyes. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx