Friday, 27 March 2015

Five On Friday

Welcome to Five On Friday!  Thank you so much to everyone who took part last week, you are more than welcome to take part again - and I hope that you will!



If you want to grab a Five On Friday Button or get more information about how to join in the All About Five On Friday page will tell you all that you need to know.

To visit other bloggers taking part, just click on the links at the end of the post.  Please do go and visit their lovely posts!

********************

This week's five are total randoms!  All different things that don't fit into posts of their own, which was, for me, how Five On Friday started.  Right now I think that I need to be a bit more random, so this week I am running with it!

1.  Like many people I cut recipes out of magazines, the newspaper and gather them from different places.  Then of course I have no where to keep them.  Last year I received a wonderful recipe box in a giveaway, and I have filled it with a collection of recipe cards that I kept from the years that I read Martha Stewart Living.  Trouble is that I don't actually have anywhere to put it in the kitchen so it is in a cupboard and I never use it.  So I didn't want to put all of my other scraps of recipes in there never to see them again.  Instead I decided that I would start my own recipe book!  I have simply taken a ring bound notebook and glued the different scraps of paper in. 


They are all jumbled up, sweet with savoury, soups mixed with cake.  It doesn't matter though, I am very happy with it.  I can keep this on my recipe book stand in the kitchen, along with my diary and meal list and shopping list and then I can easily refer to it.  I have noticed though that I have a lot of soup recipes for some reason....  As for the recipe box, I think that I will take all of those MSL cards out and glue the ones I really like into my book and toss the rest, then I will find a much nicer - crafting! - use for the pretty recipe box.

This book will never be as beautiful as the one that Carrie from Northwoods Scrapbook is making for her daughter, but it will at least be a practical way of keeping things together in one place!


Of course any recipe with a picture of crochet next to it has to be included.


I am planning to make these muffins on Monday - I will let you know how they go!


2.  Any idea what these are????


They are glass fishing floats.  They are supposed to be suspended in a sort of macramé string net thingy.  When I went to visit Lady recently she asked me if I could make some new nets because after several decades of hanging up in her home the string had perished.  Apparently I am someone who can do crafting things so she hopes that I can effect a repair.  I am now on the lookout for some hairy string - it needs to be hairy to give an authentic look - and have been stalking pictures of fishing floats online!!  I will let you know how it goes.  I need to find some string first!


I am glad to take on this challenge for Lady, especially now that she is home and is missing having these hanging up!



3.  If you follow me on Pinterest you might know that I have a board dedicated to brass pineapples.  I am the only person I have found that has such a board!  Lots of other people pin brass pineapples, I am very particular about the pineapples that I pin though!  They cannot be just any old pineapple.  So when hubby saw these new brass pineapple candlesticks for sale he bought them for me.  How kind is he!!  I love them so much.


They look just like the ones that I pin and without a candle in the top you would not know the difference between these and the very expensive vintage ones that I admire so much.  Mine are just brass plated though.


The best thing is they are narrow enough to fit on the mantel, so in May, once my Easter decorations are put away, I can stand them on the mantel and enjoy looking at them!!  You can find my brass pineapple board here if you are interested.  It doesn't get many followers or repins.  I can't imagine why..........

4.  Once again I have built up a large collection of crafting "kits" from various magazines.  It is time to pull them out and get working on them I think.  So be prepared for a few posts of quick makes - well, quick if I actually get on and make them!


I did have a quick go at this little owl from Simply Crochet.  He didn't turn out quite like the picture because I didn't have a smaller hook to hand to make the eyes with.  So he is a little staring! 


5.  My quilt continues in a rather unsatisfactory fashion.  I swither between carrying on as I am and taking all of the "ties" out and just sewing round the edges in a desultory fashion and calling it done!  To tell the truth I am rather sick of the sight of this project and I imagine that you are too!  I don't think that I am going to be a quilter any time soon.  Or perhaps I just need to try something smaller.  Considerably smaller.  A pot holder perhaps!


You can see the tying below.  Not very good is it!


Thank you all for your comments, for reading my blog and welcome to new followers.  It isn't something that I get to say often enough, but I want you all to know that I am thankful for you!

As next Friday will be Good Friday I am taking a break from Five On Friday posting as I am sure that we will all be busy.  Five On Friday will resume on Friday 10th April.

I hope that you all have a good weekend.

Amy

41 comments:

  1. Love the pineapple candle holders they are a real delight. I too seem to accumulate a load of kits from magazines and never get around to making them up. Thank you for hosting Five on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvellous pineapple! And the recipe book is cool (I earlier had an outfit-scrap with pics of sweaters, cardigans, details and acessoires, which would make by myself similiars).
    Such makramé boules I remember from the past... thas was once a time -
    Now it is hardly to get the right material.
    Have a great Easter time and good luck with all the nice crafting kits

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the brass pineapple candle holders. They look really unusual. Your quilt is so much better than I could do. You should proud of your achievement. I have to be really ruthless with those little kits as I never get round to making them. But some still find there way into the craft box - "just in case"! Enjoy your weekend. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything which is made by ourselves will be beautiful. Likewise the recipe book made by you looks beautiful.The candle stand also looks different. ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the randomness of this post Amy, kept me totally riveted as was not sure what was coming next. Love that you have been given a challenge, I will look out for hairy string for you too. So many little kits, that will be fun making those. Love your pineapple, how fun you have the only pintrest board for them. A coup. Love your quilt it is just so calming and beautiful. And as to your recipe book, you are so right, I once began one, but never got very far, now my cut out are all over the place, never used and many thrown away when they become too tatty. you may have made me begin one again, OH and I'm off to look at the one Carrie is doing for her daughter, thanks for that link. My post today will be a little bit different for me too, just sitting down to write it. Have a fab Easter, lets meet soon after again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your candlesticks look fun, you have a lovely husband. Those kits really do accumulate don't they, I have a carrier bag full. Hope you find your hairy string, it's a lovely thing to do for someone. Just an idea have you tried fishing shops, they might be able to advise. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a very ah hoc recipe book too that I just pop things down in. It is covered in splatters and I don't think anyone else would be able to read it but it is like my kitchen bible. Those fishing floats are beautiful, I remember when I was little they were quite fashionable to hang in the house. Good luck with that project. I love your candlesticks and that your husband just bought them for you - what a love he is! Thank you for hosting this lovely lovely blog hop x

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness you sound like me with those recipe clips. I am going to make time this year to do a good sort out too, but just in small bits. Love those glass floats, such a pretty green. I'll have a look at your Pinterest board and I've quite a few of those sort of little kits and was only thinking about where I'd put some last night. Ooh, I'd love to quilt your quilt for you! Pity I'm not closer. Thanks for a great post and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just thinking the other day that I need to take a dealing with my 2 recipe books/files. Mine are divided into categories but there's a bit at the front where the things I tear out of magazines are kept. That bit is a mess!

    Your big-eyed owl made me smile. He's fab! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. For string have a look at gardening jute, I think your quilt is great and your startled owl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your owl keyring, so sweet! Your collection of kits will certainly keep you busy, I hope you get time to do them in the end. I'm particularly interested in the dreamcatcher one. Do let us know how you get on with it. The quilt has certainly come along, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never even knew there were brass pineapples! I have a book that I stick recipes into although I have a rule only to stick in ones that I have tried, liked and would make again... Which of course means that the hundreds I cut out and have yet to try are in all sorts of folders scattered around the house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pineapples, what a nice husband you have! Garden twine is quite hairy, I wonder if that would work for the fishing floats. The glass floats are gorgeous. Well done on the quilt, don't worry about it not seeming perfect, just finish it and use it and enjoy all of your hard work on it. Wishing you a lovely weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed your five on Friday post, Amy! Your recipe book is lovely, and such a good idea to keep track of the ones you collect. Love your picture of your kit collection and your little staring owl :) wishing you a happy weekend with lots of sunshine!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. A quilt is a very BIG project so I can understand why you are finding it difficult to finish! I must say pineapple candlesticks are totally new to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a recipe book just like yours, with all sorts of bits and pieces glued inside it. Those craft kits will keep you busy for awhile, love that cute little owl. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea putting all the recipe clippings in to one book. Mick bought me a blank recipe book for Christmas a couple of years ago and I haven't done a thing with it yet, I'm meaning to do something similar, writing down all the recipes I use on a regular basis so that I've got then all together. I love the pineapple candle holders, they're so unusual, I haven't seen any like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Random is good. I do like those fishing floats, they would look very good indeed on my mantel! Have a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. love your pineapples! did you know the pineapple has been a symbol of hospitality since the days of the early American colonies!
    and the quilt is gorgeous. don't give up. and don't worry about it being perfect. if it was too perfect you might think it was too precious to use, and that should never happen to a quilt x

    ReplyDelete
  20. The recipe notebook was a really good idea. You can flick through it more easily and you can always mark your favourites with little post-it notes. And the glass fishing float string holder is a nice challenge. Macrame seems to be gaining popularity again and I'm sure you'll be able to find lots of inspirations online. I also have a collection of unmade craft kits. Not sure I'll be able to make all of them. I might use various bits and pieces from them for other projects. I'll be on the look out for brass pineapples now whenever I'm out thrifting- might find one for you! Enjoy your weekend! X

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've just read your comment over at mine--thanks! I've realized my pom-pom makers are both a bit big s we'll be making giant Easter chicks! Lol! X

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a nice Five on Friday post Amy and how nice for your husband to buy you the pineapple candlesticks! Hope you have a nice Friday and weekend.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, Amy...your comment on the saving of recipes tickled me, as I remember going through so many of these when my mother passed. I still have some that I've collected, but I seldom use them. Not sure why I even have them. I tend now to go to the computer to find something to fix. Love your pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I do like your little owl very much! I think you'll feel differently about the quilt once it's finished so stick with it and I'm sure you'll love it again xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely husband you have, they look great. Very pretty quilt...even though it's driving you mad, it looks like the perfect seaside cottage type of item to me. I always read your posts and then wish I was creative!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a lot of those little craft kits from magazines stuffed in a drawer too! Don't know if I'll ever get around to actually making any of them. I hope you'll finish your quilt. I think it's really cute! Much better than anything I could do. I am not a sewer by any means!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love all the random fun in this one Amy! I actually knew that those were fishing floats as my dad-in-law collects blue cobalt glass vases, but has some cobalt floats!

    I'm like you with recipes - but I keep my loose ones in a folder. Lol

    I love the whole brass pineapple thing, but is there any reason/meaning behind it?? Intriguing. ;)

    Love the projects too and you'll get that quilt down yet. Love the colors! Thanks for hosting! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Every recipe I currently use comes from a notebook that I've jotted in. Good luck finding string for those pretty fishing floats. I've also got a few of those craft kits I should work on; plus, a friend who is in Dubai right now is bringing me back the current Mollie Makes so I'll be adding to the kit supply. :) Your quilt looks nice to me. Will be great for keeping warm or as a picnic blanket. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your pineapple is amazing .... and your quilt in wonderful colors... very nice things this week. Have a lovely weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amy, those fishing float things are lovely. And the candlesticks. And especially your quilt! (Don't say bad things about her!) About the only thing that works for me for recipes is a 3-ring binder filled with clear page protectors. That way if a recipe is on both sides of a magazine page or recipe card or whatever, you can see both sides. If it's one-sided, you can back it with another one.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Would regular old twine work for the fishing floats. It has a bit of "hairy" feel to it. The floats are a beautiful color green and I think that the twine would go well.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love those fishing floats and I hope you share the string and them hanging up when you get done!

    ReplyDelete
  33. The colour of those floats is wonderful. I am sure you will do a good job with the nets.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your recipe book idea. I just have hundreds of bits of loose paper dotted about inside other books :o)

    You could try making a quilt with larger squares and therefore fewer of them?

    Have a lovely weekend- sorry I've missed so many posts recently, crazy busy here at the mo xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your recipe book!
    A few years ago, my oldest daughter made me a similar one.
    She typed out all the random magazine clippings and old recipe cards I had.
    Then she organized them and put the in a binder. I love it!
    Of course I saved some of the hand written recipes.
    I framed my grandma's handwritten recipe for pumpkin pie, and it is in my kitchen.
    Have a cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi there! I have a collection of those glass Japanese fishing floats.. they use a twine for the outside and it is tied to make a net. Email me at teresa @ byteresa.com and I will send you a photo back of how it's supposed to look. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I do like these Five on Friday posts - all the little bits and pieces that make a life.
    Have a good weekend!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  38. Good luck with the macrame string thing Amy, hope you can find some suitable string, isn't it funny how once people know you craft they think you can do anything, I have had some strange requests but I'm sure you will rise to the challenge and it will be lovely, I think you quilt is lovely, much better than anything I could do I haven't got a clue! your little owl kit is cute, I have few kits too but I don't know if I'll every get around to doing them :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow so many fun things to see today. Would some sort of rough twine work with those floats? Love the blanket and the wee owl key chain. Hope you are having a great weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm in love with the bunny. I sew, but not often, did it more when our daughter was young, I was pleased when I saw that you had won the book.

    ReplyDelete
  41. My recipe book is exactly like yours, all cut and glued onto the pages! I've got a small blue fishing float that did have the hairy string tied around it. The string came loose and now I have the float sitting on a glass jar of seashells in the bathroom!! I think gardeners twine would give the right effect for the repair job xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx