Friday, 6 March 2015

Five On Friday

Welcome everyone to the Five On Friday!  Thank you so much to everyone who took part last week, you are more than welcome to take part again - and I hope that you will!

Hello to everyone who is new, you are most welcome here and welcome to join in.  Thank you for taking part.  Welcome to new followers!  It is lovely to have you on board too!



All you have to do is write a post about Five things.  You need to do it on a Friday.  Then you need to add a link back to my Five On Friday post.  I will try and put these up at 7 am GMT each Friday.  The link up part will remain live for 24 hours, so everyone around the world should have time to join in if they wish.  If not there is always next week!

To visit other bloggers taking part, just click on the link thingy at the end of the post.  Please do go and visit their lovely posts!

If you want to grab a Five On Friday Button or get more information, see the All About Five On Friday page the link for which is at the top of my sidebar.

********************
 My post today is all about Daffodils!

I love daffodils, they are in fact one of my favourite things about springtime.  The first thing that comes to mind when thinking about daffodils is of course the famous poem by William Wordsworth
 
I wander'd lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils,
Beside the lake, beneath the trees
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
 
Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
 
The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee: -
A poet could not but be gay
In such a jocund company!
I gazed - and gazed - but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought.
 
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills
And dances with the daffodils.

Then of course there are crafted daffodils!


Some that I have been making for my wreath - pretty much finished, but not yet ready to show to you all yet!


I have also been crafting daffodils for work.  These will be for the children's trail around the house.  Basically there is always one of something hidden in each room for children to look out for.  In April there will be an abundance of daffodils - a sort of mini flower festival for daffodils - and these will be for the children to look out for!  They are actually my first ever - unpaid! - commission so I was quite pleased with them!



Then there have been daffodils for my spring garland - because you know I need a garland at all times!  Again, not quite ready to share, but on the way!


The third - although really the first! - best thing about daffodils is of course seeing them blooming outside.  This is the first one that has started to flower in our garden, I am very excited about it.  The others will be a while in coming yet, but it was good to see this little fellow making an appearance.


Fourth on the list of daffodil greatness is real live daffodils bought in bunches cheaply from the supermarket to fill a vase.  They last for just over a week - these are 7 days old now - and for the money are such great value.  I love them and buy bunches and bunches every year!  A bit of a daffodil addict!!


Finally I have this little bunch of artificial daffodils.  Not very cheery in some ways, or at all realistic, but you know what, I like them.  They make me smile and remind me of real daffodils.  Even if I cannot always have the real thing, indoors or out, I can have these and I am glad for that!


So there we have a round up daffodilness - yes, I did just make up that word!!!  That isn't to say that there are not other beautiful flowers - I leave you today with another sneaky peak of the crocuses which are coming even further out into flower - are they not a glorious sight!


Be prepared, because there are more daffodil pictures to come I am sure - in the crafting way if nothing else! - but it seemed like a good time to start to celebrate the daffodil in all of its wonderful glory, brightness and wonderful colour.

I hope that your heart will fill with pleasure at the sight of daffodils when they bloom in your part of the world!  In the meantime though, have a wonderful weekend.
 
Amy

53 comments:

  1. Lucky you - already daffodils in your garden !! Here, they seem not to want to pop up... Surely due to the ugly cold and wet weather we've been having. But... The weather should be starting to change, they say... I hope so, I'm craving spring !
    Love your crocheted daffodils as well - really good pattern you have ! They look so lifelike !
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Amy!
    I just adore your daffodils! It's lovely to see the photos of the real ones, because ours are still weeks away.
    The crocheted flowers are really sweet! I love especially the bicoloured ones!
    Have a lovely weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love daffodils, we have thousands of them popping up in the lawn I am so excited about them and cant wait until they all open, your crochet daffs are brilliant :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely daffodilly post, especially your garland a beautiful spring addition to your mantle. Sadly I couldn't read the poem in yellow but still it says everything about spring. The garden wouldn't be the same without daffodils and I look forward to them flowering every year. Have a great weekend Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Amy
    Good to see that Spring is in the air for you!
    I can imagine how excited you must be after such a long wait!
    Wishing you a happy weekend
    Hugs
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy,
    This is a fantastic Five on Friday. Daffodils bring so much hope that better weather is on the way. The Wordsworth poem is one of my favourites! Your crocus are opening up already and are such pretty colours. Once more I wish I could crochet! Have a lovely day and thank you for hosting this lovely blog hop. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely crochet flowers and colourful florals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely daffodils Amy, both the ones you made and the ones you have in your vases. I love the papery thin petals of daffodils very much. I couldn't read the poem unfortunately (my eyesight has failed me) but I'll look it up later this morning. Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I HATE daffodils. My Grandma F loved them, and I did used to buy her them when I was little just to see her face light up, but the appreciation has definitely skipped me. Give me a bunch of tulips any day - now that's a gorgeous flower. Good job we are all different :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic crocheted daffodils Amy, they will make a brilliant Easter trail. And I love the ones for your own wreath as well. It always amazes me how sculptural crochet can be. I hope you have a lovely weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your crocus pots, so full of the joys of Spring lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful cheery post. I love daffodils too and especially like the idea of a daffodil trail through the rooms of Basildon House. I'd like to come and play!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely daffodils! Those crocheted ones are super, I love the idea of a daffodil trail! Have a great weekend Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love daffodils too. They're bright and cheerful and heralds in springtime. I buy bunches of them too. They're only around for a few months each year so might as well enjoy them as much as I can : ) I remember we had to learn that poem in high school and none of us have ever seen daffodils--we don't have them in the Philippines. Looking back now I think it's funny. X

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely post full of golden daffodils, Amy. Love your little crotchet ones, which are soooo cute! And nothing of course beats the real thing. I have such good memories of going to England just in time to see it all - a sight never forgotten! Happy weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amy,

    I love your daffodils, I made a wreath too!, and I have flowers everywhere at the moment, I love spring!xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post !! Spring is in the air ..... soon, very soon !!!! Have a lovely week end!

    http://woolandcats.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  18. What beautiful daffodils Amy! I love your crocheted ones you made and of course the real ones. Have a wonderful Friday and thanks for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Daffodils are great heralds of Spring! I love seeing them bloom in the gardens, but we're a long way from that yet! Your crocus pots look so cute! Congratulations on your commission to set up Basildon House with daffodils ... I'll bet the kids love searching for your pretty makes :) Enjoy your weekend Amy.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that popped up and you are very diligent! I can't wait, until they bloom in my garden again...
    Wild daffodils in the nature (like in the poem) have never seen, but other bulb-flowers we have on any places.
    (sorry, my English isn't good, I'm still learning)
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm with you on daffodils, they're such cheery flowers, guaranteed to put a smile on your face. I have them in the garden but I love them in the house too, and they're so reasonable so I can pop a bunch in the shopping trolley each week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I've loving your daffodil garland, Amy!!! And, how fun to leave a trail of daffodils for those children's trail. Have an awesome weekend! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love all your daffodils - how clever you are to make those sweet little crochet ones. I've been buying a bunch of daffs every week from Aldi at 99p they bring so much pleasure and cheer into the house. Lovely post:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cheery happy smiley flowers! Something to keep us going until ours bloom (in a couple of months).
    Jane x
    PS My post is up but I haven't added my name to the link.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amy, I love the yellow in your daffodils, but I couldn't read the yellow in the writing of the blog. Great job on the crochet flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are SO clever, I love the woolly daffs. I rather like your artificial ones too. I went out this morning and splashed out on tulips and daffs, and then I saw my first bumblebee of the year, so Spring is definitely on its way! Have a great weekend hun xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your crocheted flowers they are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your crochet daffodils are really beautiful, and I love the pretty little garland you made! How lovely that you are making them to hide for visiting children to find, what a good idea, they will love it! Wishing you a happy weekend, Amy, with lots of sunshine and daffodils flowering.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your daffs are stunning Amy!!! The ones by hand and from the garden!! They cheered me up on this bitter cold day just seeing their happy faces! Thank you for hosting dear friend and a happy weekend to you!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely daffodils! They just look happy. Your garland peek is looking good! Lovely shade of yellow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your daffodils are gorgeous and I love the garland.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful post, Your supermarket daffodils have thrived much better than mine. I love the idea of the children looking for and following the daffodils xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love all your daffodils Amy how can anyone not like them they are such a cheerful sunshiney flower. Your garland is lovely. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. You've been on a bit of a daffodil-fest! Love your crocheted ones, they'll be perfect for "hide and seek" at the house xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Aren't daffodils just the happiest flowers - both indoors and outside they make me smile. :) Wishing you a happy weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Daffodils are SUCH happy flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your crochet Daffodils are wonderful...
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh such prettiness! I love daffodils and crocuses. Your crochet daffodils are so sweet and the buckets of crocuses are gorgeous. Mine are under 3 feet of snow but I know they are trying to poke up through the ground and will be the first blooms of spring in my garden. I can't wait! In the meantime I'll display my artificial ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love all those spring blooms, so nice knowing that warmer weather is on its way.
    Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Gosh those daffodils made me happy :)

    I hope this month goes better for you, Amy. You deserve it :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your daffodils are so pretty, and what a great idea to have them dotted around. Spring time is definitely here and the fields around here are full of daffodil pickers getting the flowers in before they bloom. Take care my lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. The daffies in our garden are just about to open too. I love them ... but I like to see them in the garden so, like you, I buy bunches of them when I go my shopping. I bought some on Tuesday and they've just opened today. The smell is glorious! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh I love daffs too - pure sunshine packed in a flower!! I love the ones that you made yourself! Wish I had that talent. I think next grocery trip once my tulips fade, I'll go pick up daffodils too.

    Congrats again on my drawing! So happy you won dear Gal. You're a gem and I look forward to sending you your goodies. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  44. Gosh...I love those crochet daffodils!
    You crafty devil you!
    Enjoy your weekend, Amy!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Daffodils ares o cheery - both the real ones and your crafted ones!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh I love the crochet daffodils, now you can have them all year round.

    ReplyDelete
  47. All your daffodils are pretty, but those commissioned crocheted ones are TOO cute, as are the crocuses outside your door - what pretty hues!

    Happy weekend, Amy!

    xo
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  48. The first daffodils - miniatures - have just started to flower here, but others are only just poking up above the ground. Luckily we had two of the tinies in flower for St. David's Day last weekend.

    I'm loving the idea of your sweet crocheted daffs in the stately rooms of a NT house :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Well done on your first commission Amy! I am glad you are having fun with it. Lisa mentioned above that daffodils give hope that better weather is on its way soon. In Australia our Cancer Council has adopted the daffodil as its emblem to symbolise hope. While I don't have any live daffodils in my garden or crocheted ones for that matter, I do have a number of daffodil pins. They are such a pretty flower. I look forward to seeing your finished products :-)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Beautiful daffodils in every form. Really enjoyed the poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hey Amy,
    I love the garland! I think many of us are sat near a bunch of daffs. Mine have fully opened today and smell wondrous as I type this comment. A glorious hit of sunshine yellow.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx