Wednesday, 25 February 2015

Valentines Heart Garland - tutorial

Do you remember my mantel for February?  There is a garland of paper hearts strung across the mantel, it seems that I always have to have a garland of some sort!


When I revealed the mantel I promised to show you how to make the garland and then somehow time got away from me.  As we are just in the last few days of February, and because hearts can be enjoyed at any time of year, I thought I would share the details with you today.  Better late than never!

To remind you, this is what my February Mantel looks like.


Making the garland is really very simple.


First take a strip of paper that is 12 inches long, by 2 inches wide.


The cut down the centre lengthwise.


So that you have two strips of paper, 1 inch wide, by 12 inches long.  If you are cutting your strips from scrapbook paper, it might be easier to just cut two strips of course!


Fold in half so that one has the pattern facing inwards, and the other has the pattern facing outwards.


Nest the strips one inside the other so that you have the pattern inside and outside.  Then insert the end of the strip where the folds are into your hole punch and make a hole as near to the end of the strip as you can, making sure that it is as close to the centre as you can get it.


To make the next two holes that you need insert the strip into your hole punch as I have shown above - sorry about the slightly fuzzy picture!  Punch another hole.


You want the two holes to be just over an inch apart.  Remember, both holes need to be at the end where you have the fold.


Then staple just above the first hole that you punched - just below the fold.


Then open up the pieces and fold the two open ends back on themselves, this makes the heart shape as you can see in the picture above.


Staple this end.  Again, as close to the end as you can get.  This is the end of your strips without the fold and the holes.


You can see how the heart shape is made and how the holes line up.


Thread some decorative twine through the four holes that you now have.  I have used a contrasting colour here so that it shows up well, but for my actual garland I used some pink and white twine.


Repeat the process until you have as many hearts as you desire!  I made 10 for this garland.  I also used different papers and switched the papers that I used for the inside and outside of each heart.  But I like to fiddle around like that!


There you have it, one Valentines Heart Garland!  To fix it to the mantel I used a blob of blue tak on either end of the mantel and pushed the twine into it.  The whole thing is very light, so doesn't need much to hold it up.  I then covered the blue tak with a crocheted heart.  Normally I use some crochet circles, but you could just cut a heart shape of paper or a circle.

I hope that you will have fun making yourself a garland, either for Valentines, or just because!

Amy

42 comments:

  1. Very cool, Amy. I recognise that pink twine! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant. It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple but so effective. Wonderful, thank you for sharing Amy Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for that tutorial Amy. I love papery bits, when I have spare time, as it's relaxing after I've been sewing for long periods. It's nice to do something different and not have to think too hard. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial Amy well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a fun make, Oh the possibilities! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You give very clear instructions, good teacher Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am completely lacking in any artistic skill. but I love your line that "hearts can be enjoyed at any time of year". Brilliant! And I see you have a lava lamp! Fab.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful. So simple but very effective. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a simple but beautiful idea, very clearly explained.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the great tutorial for the Garland Amy! It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty - quite like the idea of making a garland for a party of some sort! There are none on the horizon but I'm banking the idea for future use :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amy, you are just so clever with your crafts! Good job with this, and really not all that complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the tutorial! It's a wonderful garland!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very clever! :) And very pretty. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a simple idea but it looks great - I'd like to try it using old book pages and twine.
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  17. So clever and adorable! I think this is one of my favorite mantle looks you've had yet!!
    Thanks for sharing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Again, as every month, a lovely garland for your mantel !! Curious what will be the march-garland ;-) !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just because sounds good to me! I can see The Princess going for this any time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's such a cute garland. I really like that it's made from paper so it's simple and inexpensive but very festive too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is the perfect in every way Amy!!! The best heart garland I have seen! Thank you for the tutorial!!! Happy day friend! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have lots of lovely stiff papers that were free gifts with magazine - they would be perfect for this! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This heart garland is so sweet! And it's a lovely decoration any time of the year, not just for Valentine's. Thanks for showing us how to make them. X

    ReplyDelete
  24. so simple, and a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing, Amy. It seems so simple and looks so pretty and effective! xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. So simple and so effective. My grandaughter would love these, .i have a load of scrapbook papers so we have no excuse :-) thank you for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your garland looks lovely and your how-to-make-one tutorial is very easy to follow (yes, even I can!). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Adorable! I love this.. and with different colour papers Amy, you really could have one for any season! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Man....you have a lot of tools!
    Great job!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks by this look beautful Amy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  31. very cool. is that a weiner dog? or just a draft keeper ... oh what do they call those? that might be the right word??! very creative. love it!! the dog and the heart decor. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is a great tutorial. See you in April I believe...exciting! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is such a good idea - thank you for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very nice! Thanks for the tutorial.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is such a nice simple, but effective decoration. Thanks for the tutorial Amy :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx