Monday, 23 February 2015

Tea Towels - or art!

You know may - or may not - know that we are developing a liking for "retro" things in our house.  Following the inheritance of a table and chairs and the purchase of some other items of furniture to go with them we have gradually over the last two years been styling our Living/Dining Room to have a retro feel.  Just little touches here and there.

Of course doing this makes you start to notice things that you didn't take a second glance at before.  Last week I took some things to the charity shop and had a quick look around as I was there.  On the hunt for retro things.  I didn't find anything, there was a vase, but when I looked close up I didn't think it was old and it was rather ugly.  There were also some great soup bowls, but they were only great to look at as I don't think they would have held more than a couple of spoonful's of soup.  So I left them all behind.

This meant though that retro things were on my mind, and when I returned home I had a little job to do and for some reason I was thinking retro at the same time as doing that little job.

So, what was this task, I had to choose two tea towels.  I had been contacted by Al of All Tea Towels who offered me the chance to review two tea towels from his website called, funnily enough, All Tea Towels.  You can find it here www.all-tea-towels.co.uk.  There are so many different designs to choose from it was a hard job.  I was though attracted to a number of tea towels that had retro designs and when I discovered that they were designed in Scandinavia I just had to select one of those.

Here it is!  What do you think?  I really like it and am very happy with it.  The tea towel is a lovely crisp linen and the designs remind me very much of a cookery book that my mother had many years ago.  I just had to pick this one.



I was lucky enough to be able to choose another tea towel so I thought I would go for something completely different for the second choice.  So chose this one.


I loved the saying.  I know several real dogs and bloggy dogs who are so kind and caring and loving and this reminded me of them!


So, the review bit.  Well, the choice of tea towels is great, although narrowing the choices down is hard.  There are florals, funny ones, retro ones, all kinds to choose from.  The service was great, they arrived well packaged and really quickly too.  The designs were actually better than I was hoping for and the size of the tea towels is really good too - some of the ones that I have bought from supermarkets are so tiny, they barely dry up a teacup!  I haven't laundered them - I will explain why - but I can tell that the fabrics are good quality so don't expect any problems there.  If you are in the market for a new tea towel, or a gift, these are well worth looking at.

I had every intention of using these tea towels.  I also planned to use and launder them before doing my review.  I haven't been able to bring myself to though. 

That doggie is so cute and I know just the person who would love this tea towel, so I am going to give it away and I cannot give away a used tea towel can I.  The retro one is as good as I hoped it would be, and in fact, far better. so I have a little plan - that I haven't explained to hubby yet.  I thought that it would look good framed up and hung in our kitchen.


I need to work on hubby though as it will mean that we need to jig things around a bit in the kitchen so it might be a little while, I will let you know how it goes.  If my plans to turn this tea towel into art don't work, I will perhaps make a cushion, or even, just use it as intended.  As a tea towel.  I might even use this one and then just order another one to make a cushion!

So you can see why having retro on my mind influenced my choice of tea towels and this review!  I am glad that it did though as I will hopefully have a great new piece of art of the kitchen.


Just so you know this is the first review that I have ever done.  If I was ever asked to do another review, and I thought that the products were as lovely as these are, and were something that you would be interested in, I would repeat the experience.  However, I wanted you to know that I don't plan on doing lots of sponsored posts or having advertising here.  It will remain as my little blog, and I will always disclose the truth to you, because as you know honesty is very important to me.  I hope that you don't mind this review and will stick with me!

Amy

Disclosure - I received two tea towels from www.all-tea-towels.co.uk to facilitate my review, all thoughts and opinions are my own.  No other compensation was provided.

46 comments:

  1. I love the bright colours in the first one, and of course the second reminded me of Pop so I loved that too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The teatowels are very cool, Amy. Can't wait to see how it looks in your kitchen! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tea towels and lovely choices! I bet hubbie can be persuaded :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love framed tea towels as kitchen art. The retro jars tea towel is delightful, and I live the expression on the dog's face, so appealing! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the one with all the kitchen jars etc. no wonder you want it on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great idea to frame it for your kitchen. Isn't it funny how you can style a room around one object. I have a lovely picture in my front room, bought as I adored the cours in it and of course the rest of the room needed teaming to match lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. "teaming"was supposed to say "tweaking"! Though I suppose it is a kind of teaming too ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. They both look great Amy, I'm sure to would be difficult to choose from a large selection & framing one is a great idea x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of framing tea towels.Why not! I hope you manage to bring hubby round to the idea! Have a super day! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. For your info the words on the bottom picture from left to right are: stewed apples, lingon berries and pickled gherkins. the tea towels look like great quality too. If you are into retro looking things have you seen Jane foster's website and blog? You may like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the retro tea towel! I would happily have that hanging up in my kitchen. Well done on your first review. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're lovely, a great choice. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh the first one is Swedish! Makes it if possible even better! I love teatowels. I have some of my favourites hanging on the wall in the larder. Teatowels are definitely a piece of art! Enjoy your week!xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the retro tea towel the colours remind me so much of the curtain my Grandparent had in the Summerhouse when I was little, I love them so much that when I inherited the Summerhouse and several sets of curtain that fit it I could not resist using some of the fabric to cover a chair seat pad. Such a great idea to frame one
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, I love the doggy one. The retro one will look brilliant framed in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are lovely Amy, and really have that Retro look. I sometimes buy vintage tea towels like these, and have made some linen ones into table mats. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun thing to be asked to do--review tea towels! Your choices are lovely. I especially LOVE the retro one. You really should frame it. It would look great in the kitchen. We've got a Rob Ryan tea towel that we've had framed and it's in our bedroom. X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Amy! Oh, what cute tea towels. Of course I love the doggy one but the vintage one is probably my favorite! It would look very cute framed. Hope you have a great week.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good for you for getting the two tea towels. You did a great job with the review.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Reviewing is fun. Glad you too keep your blog ad free

    ReplyDelete
  21. Linen tea towels often are not used in my house because I buy them as souvenirs and for the artwork on them! I like the retro look of the first one and it would make a great picture if you framed it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both of them are adorable Amy! But I love the retro look of the one that you really like too. I bet it adds a lovely and fun touch to your kitchen.

    Happy week ahead dear Gal! xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I did a similar review for them a few years ago and it was a really fun thing to do. If I remember correctly I chose a heart design so that I could give it to hubby for Valentine's day (as a kind of joke!). Loved reading your choice of teatowel - the dog one is great! xCathy

    ReplyDelete
  24. They are both really cute and perfect for art! I don't have a problem with you reviewing things either - an honest review from someone I trust is always appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like the retro look and it must be fun to see and pickup something that fits in!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really like a good tea towel..off to see the designs!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  27. You can get a reasonably priced frame in Ikea that is perfect for framing a tea towel! I love both designs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the retro kitchen one and can see why you would want to display it on the wall:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ha!! I've framed a tea towel before and each year I buy (rather decadently) a cath kidston christmas one and just staple it around an A4 canvas - simple and cheapish art!!! Loving your doggy tea towel especially and think your art will be great!! J9 x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those tea towels are really cute! You know I love the retro look ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've heard of reviewing books, but never tea towels. I liked both those, especially the doggy one, as he's so cute. I once had a tea towel hanging in a kitchen, just put a string from both ends and hung it on a nail. (very young, no money for art work, but it looked good).Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey Amy,
    I have a thing for tea towels. I love the first one very much It reminds me of a wallpaper that I'm sure my Auntie had in her kitchen.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Tea towels are fun. I especially like to look at the touristy kind when I'm traveling. I would enjoy having a little collection from places I've visited.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello Amy, I say art too! Just found you via Kathy from The Next Phase. I've had a little look around and Beatrix Potter is very popular in this house too! A visit to Treetops when she was about 5 is still inspiring my almost 12 year old to write stories. I am going to try to link up for Five on a Friday but I am very new to this so it could take a while to work it out ha! X

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the retro one. Go on... buy another one to make the cushion. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, they are pretty and that was fun! Well done, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think this is fantastic Amy! That first one is just so lovely!!! I love the pattern and color of it! And how fun to do your first review! Love it!!! Happy week you! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nothing wrong with using te towels as art, or cushion cover.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Liking the tea towels! I have a small stack of tea towels inherited from my grandmother. They are in good condition as she didn't use them and I don't either. I sometimes marvel a the insanity of keeping them only to take them out in a while for a wash and an iron, but who could bear to throw such pretties?
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  40. The first tea towel really reminds me of one my nan used to have. My tea towels are very bog-standard, perhaps it's time to visit the site you reviewed for. I'm tempted to buy some to turn into cushions actually! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. It's a Simon Drew tea towel. I'm sold. 'Nuff said :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. They're adorable! I love retro stuff, especially for their bright and cheery colours. These have many of my favourites, and since they don't contain any neon hues, I like them! My tea towels tend to be covered in stripes, or roosters, and both motifs make me happy!

    xx
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  43. Both teatowels are just too nice to use for drying up! I have made some into cushions and used for wall art before. At the moment i am collecting any colourful ones i can find cheaply at charity shops to make into a tablecloth after spotting the idea in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love those tea towels although the first one is so retro and colourful. I would have to go with the Simon Drew one , we used to have one of his posters on our wall for many years in the 80's. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  45. lovely lovely teatowels! obviously I'm a sucker for that second one, but they are both great, and a fab way of brightening up doing the dishes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx