Friday, 27 February 2015

Five On Friday

Welcome everyone to the new Five On Friday!  This is the second week, and I really hope that this works again this week.  If not, please forgive me and bear with me.  Thank you so much to everyone who took part last week, I hope that some of you will join in again this week and that we will perhaps have some more new people joining us as well!

Hello to everyone who is new, you are most welcome here and welcome to join in.  Thank you for taking part.  Welcome to new followers!  It is lovely to have you on board too!



I think that most of you will be familiar with doing link ups - also called blog parties - with other blogs and it really is easy to join in.  All you have to do is write a post about Five things.  You need to do it on a Friday.  Then you need to add a link back to my Five On Friday post.  I will try and put these up at 7 am GMT each Friday.  The link up part will remain live for 24 hours, so everyone around the world should have time to join in if they wish.  If not there is always next week!

To visit other bloggers taking part, just click on the link thingy at the end of the post.  Please do go and visit their lovely posts!

If you want to grab a Five On Friday Button or get more information, see the All About Five On Friday page the link for which is at the top of my sidebar.

********************

This weeks post is all about a little expedition which I forced took hubby on last weekend.  It was to a yarn show!  The first that I have ever been to.  The things that I have to share are mostly from that.

1.  This kit is to make the superb little rabbit or hare that you see in the picture below.  Isn't he wonderful!


The roving - the woolly stuff used to make said rabbit - is incredibly soft and feels wonderful.  I have to admit that I am rather terrified of this though.  Not just because of the needles that you use to felt it all together which are pretty scary in themselves.  It is the thought of something totally new and that if I mess up I can't easily get more stuff to make it with.

None of that is a reason not to have a go though so I will.  When I am in the right frame of mind and less scared!  You will of course be informed of progress!


2.  Another shawl pin!  Because I use my others so often....  This one was rather gorgeous though, but it doesn't show up well in my picture - which I tried to take loads of different ways.  What it means really is that I need to crochet more shawls doesn't it.


3.  Blanket patterns.  Again, because I need more blankets right!  These two blankets were on display and were so bright and vibrant and colourful that I didn't think having the patterns would be a problem.  I am not sure that I will make either, certainly not right now, but I did think that the one on the left could perhaps be made into a shawl - see above! - so I might start with that.


4.  Not very exciting to some, but thrilling to me.  A yarn cutter pendant.  For the uninitiated you slip the yarn into one of the little grove bits on the side and there is a hidden blade which cuts your yarn.  I just need to find something to string it on so that I can actually have it about my person and stop keep poking my scissors with my elbow!


5.  I do have one last lovely thing to show you today though.  This wonderful shawl which I received as a gift - sadly not any use with the shawl pin!!  It is the finest and lightest fabric you can imagine and floats and glides so beautifully.


What really attracted me though are the embroidered flowers.  Aren't they pretty.  It gives it a very vintage feel I think, which I like.


Five things!  I hope that you don't think that I am a shopaholic or a bragger, I just wanted to share them with you because, well, you understand and don't look at me oddly when I wax lyrical about a thing to cut yarn into shorter pieces of yarn!

I do have a couple of other things to say today, you might be thinking, what was this, nothing but a shopping trip.  What about the yarn show thingy.  Tell me more.

Sadly I don't want to tell you more!  Because I don't want to be saying bad things.  It was expensive to get in, very crowded and full of lovely, but incredibly expensive yarn.  Very worthy yarn, but therefore far to expensive for me to afford to buy enough to ever make anything.

It is the first such show that I have been to, so I don't know if that is what they are all like or not.  I hope not.

There you go, that is why I am not saying more and why there is no yarn to share!

I also wanted to let you know that I have been trying to reply to comments via e-mail.  There are a couple of issues with that though.  If you are a no reply blogger though, I cannot reply.  Also, just lately it seems that I don't always get an e-mail for every comment, so again, I cannot then reply.  The third issue - well, I think it might be an issue - is that I get a lot of e-mails and it says for example Amy via blogger bounces.  I reply to those, but have no idea if you receive my replies.  I just wanted to let you know and explain why you might not get a reply.  It isn't because I don't want to talk to you, it is just that I don't have an e-mail to reply to!  If you want to change your no reply status you just add your e-mail address to your profile - there are loads of easy tutorials online to help you.  You can e-mail me , I am a replyable blogger and my e-mail address is on the About Love Made My Home page.

Oh, and for some reason I have terrified myself into thinking that this link is not going to work, so if it doesn't I am sorry!

Also, I hope that my post yesterday wasn't too much of a downer for you.  It is what we are dealing with here and I don't like to bore you with it, but it does show just how important the campaign that I have been asked to take part in is.  The campaign is the reason I shared it!

One more thing, I am still working on my need to apologise for myself all the time - sorry!

I hope that you all have a wonderful weekend doing lots of fun things.  I hope too that you will join in and link up.  I look forward to reading your posts!

Amy


50 comments:

  1. Nice and useful things! But I know that: all what I see is too expensive. (I have very tiny pension)
    So I live creative, look at a lot and try to do it yourself from other things that I have randomly. Whether knit sweater or build something as a tool, I often find a way to do it by myself. Even though it is not always perfect...

    The link is working without problems, thanks for hosting and have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen something like that yarn cutter !! That is truly fantastic - no more looking for the scissors who always seem to disappear somewhere between the blankets and cushions of the sofa when crocheting/knitting !
    And your bunny, oh so sweet - can't wait to see it finished !! (Ps good luck with making it ;-))
    And PS your last post was not a downer at all - it was more a wake up call, to keep us alert how the elderly are being treated/having to pass their last years on earth. It is a good thing there are people who care and who want to try to do something about it to make things better !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,
    I hope I have attached the right links, my fingers are crossed, sorry if not. I am still struggling with the techie bits.
    That rabbit is adorable, good luck with it, can't wait to see your progress. I was the uninitiated but what a fab tool the yarn cutter must be and such an interesting design.
    Thank you for hosting the Five On Friday.
    Have a lovely weekend! Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy! Thanks for your reply to my email and letting me join in without the button thingy. I've just linked up twice--the first one you'll have to delete because it's not going directly to my post. That was my fault. Sorry!
    I've never seen a yarn cutter pendant before--that's so clever and handy. I'm curious about needle felting but a bit scared of those needles. Let us know how you get on. Those blanket patterns are gorgeous and your shawl too. What a wonderful present!
    Have a lovely Friday! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, amy I love the hare and look forward to seeing it when you find the courage to make it which I'm sure you will:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post full of lovely things Amy. I haven't managed to join in as I can't get the badge to work, I'm such a numpty when it comes to computers! Enjoying reading them though xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Amy
    What a lovely celebratory post! I have tried needle felting and found that it is important to try and keep the needle as upright as possible and to keep your fingers out of the way - the needle does hurt a lot! I really enjoyed it though and made an owl and a rabbit (with very big ears!). I am going to continue as I want to make some felt flowers which have needle felted details. I do like the look of that kit though. I'll be really interested to see how you get on.
    Have a lovely weekend
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely things you've shared Amy... And just go for that hare, you can do it! And stop saying sorry, you've nothing to apologise for! I'll stop being bossy now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Hare, cannot wait to see how he turns out. I love needle felting, it is such fun. But have not put my hand to this for a couple of years now...you've got me itching to have another go. Not totally sure I will have time to post 5 today, just put a post up already this morning. But if I can I will. Love this community you have created Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lot of nice things today, Amy. I have one of those pendant cutters, which I bought after 9/11 when you were no longer allowed to take scissors on planes, and I had always done cross-stitch on long flights. I wear it on a ribbon around my neck, and it works well. The hare is soooo pretty. HB just told me he saw one early this morning when he had to drive to the airport before dawn. It is nice to see a hare in the moonlight in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those blanket patterns are stunning! Love your felty rabbit kit, will you have him finished in time for Easter? x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What event did you go to Amy, they can be expensive but sometimes you can pick up bargains, needle felting is fun look forward to seeing your results :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed your Five, sadly most of the craft shows I've been to were like your yarn one. I'll be joining in next Friday's Five.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went to Unravel too! I also bought a Jenny Barnett kit - I made the little sheep and he is beautiful. It was scary, but so rewarding. You'll lose yourself in it!

    Good luck <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Amy! Oh, I love that little rabbit! And...the crochet is just beautiful.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I look forward to seeing your needle-felting. I think that's a really interesting craft, once you get past the needle concerns, which I haven't quite done yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amy, you are adventurous for the crafts you tackle. The yarns in the blankets are beautiful. I've been making some dish cloths, as I found some cotton yard on sale and make them as housewarming gifts. I don't buy expensive yarn, just watch for sales.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've got that same hare kit, it's so cute isn't it? I saw it at Yarndale last year and Mick bought it without me knowing and gave it to me for Christmas. I haven't started it yet though. I've got the same yarn cutter too, though I have to admit that I haven't tried using it yet and I've actually had it a few years. Such a shame that you had a bad experience at the yarn show, Yarndale was such a lovely day out and there were things there to suit all pockets, but I know what you mean, some yarn is so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're going to do a great job on that hare! Your shawl pins are so pretty and those blankets are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never seen a yarn cutter pendant before...very clever!
    The shawl you received is absolutely stunning...gorgeous!
    Jane x
    PS Hoping to join in next week

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a great list of favorites this week. Love the spun bunny, the yarn cutter (beautiful) and shawl pins are always a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't mind you showing off your purchases - I get the high from shopping without the expense! The bunny is gorgeous and those blanket patterns too. I'm glad you treated yourself. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Hares and your one is going to look gorgeous. I enjoy seeing what others' are buying when they go shopping. Your gift of a shawl is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your lovely five. Incidentally, as you know I had a problem with putting the link on my post. I also tried putting it on my sidebar with no luck. I'm normally ok with computer stuff but this has left me intrigued. Any help would be gratefully received! Have a great weekend. P x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the felted hare. I bought a felted sheep kit 18 months ago and just had a little go at it last week. Within the first ten minutes I stabbed my finger and drew blood, and then I broke the needle. Hope you have better luck with yours xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Amy, such a nice 5 on Friday post. I love the yarn cutter and in the yarn shop where I live one of the sales ladies wears hers as a necklace. Sorry I did not have a post for this week. I will be joining in next a Friday. Enjoy your weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely stuff, Amy. Don't you hate it when yarn costs more than a tankful of petrol - and goodness knows that's not cheap these days!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The hare is lovely as are the blanket patterns, thanks for sharing
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  28. love the rabbit! thanks for the invite on Friday! I'm in

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the bunny and the shawl pin in particular xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your felted hare kit, I have never tried needle felting but I'd like to! I love the blanket patterns, they are quite stunning blankets aren't they. Your shawl pin and your shawl are very lovely. It's too bad the yarn in the show was too pricey, it really discourages people from trying new hobbies. There are a lot of designer yarns on the market now and I wonder how all these little companies will survive.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Despite the expense of yarn, you got some nice things at the show. I've been using a lot of my mom's stash of yarn for the past few years, but when I did go to a yarn store to buy something "nice" (not even fancy!), I staggered out of there with my purchase of $70 to make a winter toque! I almost fainted, but had promised this to someone so was stuck with the bill. I really like that shawl pin, and the wool cutter ... cool stuff ;)
    Wendy
    PS sorry so late in joining today (computer troubles revisiting me ... rrrrrrrRRRR!)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Amy sorry I didn't have time to comment yesterday, I love your 5 things, I love going to craft shows but I agree with you they can be very expensive but I like to get up close and stroke those fine yarns haha another thing I do is if I see something I particularly like I will make a note of it then google it when I get home to see if I can find it cheaper on line. I love that shawl by the way I love anything embroidered. I have the same problem with the no reply blogger thing but you know what Amy I'm sure people aren't that bothered about getting a reply I'm sure most know we love to receive their comments. : xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your little felting kit, I hope you do an update on it as I've been tempted for a while to get one xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Does anyone really need to be forced to go to a yarn show? What could be more fun? :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good luck with the needle felting - what a cute little hare! Lovely Five on Friday and no, I don't think you're a shopaholic or a bragger in the slightest! xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think I know where you were! Actually I wondered if you'd be there on one of the days. I saw the shawl pins, and I have that yarn cutter, hubby got me one for Christmas, I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the needlefelting kit - I have one to make a frog that I must make an effort to do. I could have been at a woolly event today, but I would just have bought (expensive) yarn that I don't need!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Five good things! I love the yarn cutter (at the moment I use my teeth... bad, I know)

    ReplyDelete
  39. That shawl is gorgeous friend! It is like a piece out of a romantic movie!! And that bunny kit is adorable! Seriously too cute for words! And my email stuff is all messed up...bloggers have been telling me that they have not been getting my comments in their inbox and emails have been bouncing back to me....I have no idea what is going on! Anyways...thank you so much for hosting Amy! This is such a great party and once I have my stuff together I will be linking up too!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  40. Seems like a great show! I love the tittle rabbit!

    ReplyDelete
  41. The crochet blankets are beautiful. I love anything kaffe Fassett and would love to have seen them. X

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautiful things! I am particularly jealous of the yarn cutter ;) The felting kit is gorgeous - looking forward to seeing the final results :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. Lovely to see your five beautiful things here Amy! The little rabbit is so adorable....I have never tried needle felting but I really love the things you can make with it. The shawls are beautiful...both the crochet ones and the lovely fabric one....and your shawl pin is very pretty, and so practical too. You write such interesting posts, and I love to catch up here regularly. Wishing you a happy week ahead!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  44. That rabbit is adorable. Amazingly. I had read about yarn cutters only this morning; It's so nice to see what one looks like. I'm sure it is very handy having one hung around your neck rather than looking for the scissors again. Pity about the over-expensive yarn show but well done for getting hubby to go along! x

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'd love to try felting.....your blog is very informative.....I'll be back to read more....thank you!x

    ReplyDelete
  46. You've got to make the bunny Amy, he's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  47. That bunny is absolutely gorgeous and good luck with making him. I've tried needle felting but found I was not that good at it, I'll try and show my crazy rabbit I made if I remember! I think wet felting is more my thing but as you seem VERY multi talented I'm sure you'll take to it like a duck to water:) Sx

    ReplyDelete
  48. Lovely shopping trip and can't wait to see how you go with the "bunny" . I've thought about doing something like that, but have no idea how to start. I must pop you an ordinary email and see how that goes. I know I'm a no reply blogger, but don't know what to do about it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Sorry I was gone last week and so unable to join - but plan to this week! Loved seeing your 5 things though! That shawl is beautiful!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  50. I plan to join in this week! I like the bunny kit, felting is fun, watch your fingers though! I like the clover thread cutter, I have seen those but not tried one out. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx