Friday, 20 February 2015

Five On Friday

Welcome everyone to the new Five On Friday!  I really hope that this works, so if not, please forgive me and bear with me.  It has been a lot of work for me to get this far as all of this is totally new to me.  We will work through this together and see how it goes.  My thanks go out to all of you who have helped, supported, joined in and generally cheered me along the way with this project!  You are all brilliant!



I think that most of you will be familiar with doing link ups - also called blog parties - with other blogs and it really is easy to join in.  All you have to do is write a post about Five things.  You need to do it on a Friday.  Then you need to add a link back to my Five On Friday post.  I will try and put these up at 7 am GMT each Friday.  The link up part will remain live for 24 hours, so everyone around the world should have time to join in if they wish.  If not there is always next week!

To visit other bloggers taking part, just click on the link thingy at the end of the post.  Please do go and visit their lovely posts!

If you want to grab a Five On Friday Button or get more information, see the All About Five On Friday page the link for which is at the top of my sidebar.

********************

I have been working so hard on getting this set up and working it all out, that I haven't actually had a lot of time to think about what I wanted to post today.  Then I realised, if was obvious of course.  I should post about my crafting!  There seems to have been little crafting here lately, but there has been a lot going on behind the scenes.  I have some works in progress and some finished things to share with you.

1.  A spring time wreath.


At the moment this is very much a work in progress.

Using a Styrofoam flat backed wreath form I am in the process of crocheting a piece to cover it.  At the moment it looks like a short and oddly striped and coloured scarf.  It is pinned to the wreath here so that I can check how much more I need to do - not too much left!

Once it is all done I will do a bit of a tutorial post on this for you.  The daffodils started out with the intention of being for my March Mantel, but they have been sidetracked at the moment into this project.  I will make some more though as they are really easy to do and I have ideas for different coloured ones.


My inspiration for this project is the wreath below which is in Issue 28 of Simply Crochet magazine. 


1 and a half.  A little tiny bunny also from Simply Crochet.  I am contemplating a string of these for Easter, but I have other ideas for Easter too.  It could be a hard decision.  Isn't he a cutie though.  I thought he might make a nice brooch perhaps.


2. In line handle basket.


I am calling this my In Line Handle Basket - because the handles are in the basket - you will see a different sort of handle in a moment and see what I mean about the difference.  It is made with Lily Sugar n Cream.  I stitched it all in UK Trebles on a 4mm hook, stitching into the space between stitches as I worked round. 

The finished basket is about 7 inches across and 6 inches tall.  It is quite floppy as I used a single strand of yarn.  If it was worked in two strands I think it would be quite sturdy.  This yarn is good to work with I think, it isn't smooth and silky, but I would not expect that from a cotton yarn and I do like the matt finish it has. 

I have some yarn left over so I will probably make a small bowl with that.


3.  It was a basket and now it is a bag.  Or is it a basket??


This basket (as it started out being) was worked using Patons 100% Cotton 4ply - Nougart (01715).  I was given 8 balls of this yarn.  Being 4ply it is quite thin yarn I used three strands at once.  This time I worked in UK DC and used a 5mm hook.  The yarn turned out not to be all 4 ply though and there was one ball of DK.  So I used that the make a very long thin piece for the handles which I then sewed on to the basket going right around the bottom - as you can see below.  The finished basket/bag is about 9 inches across and 9 inches high as well.

I have to say that I am not sure if I like this or not.  At the moment it is hanging around and occasionally as things stuffed into it, but mainly it is stuffed into the bottom of my basket.  I don't know what I am going to do with it.  I cannot seem to give it away either!

The actual yarn is great, it is a mercerized cotton and does not split at all.  It does make for a slightly shiny finish to the yarn, in a good way, but if you want something more matt, this would not be the yarn to use.


4.  Another basket!


After my experiment above, I had four balls of the 4ply yarn left, so I am working this basket, again in UK DC using a 5mm hook using four strands.  It is also about 9 inches across.  It is somewhat stiffer than the first one.  We will see what happens!  I will not be adding strappy handles that is for sure!

5.  Shirt Quilt.


I have finally started working some more on my shirt quilt.  I repined the layers together and decided that I would tie it rather than quilt.  I wish somewhat that I had quilted it, but it is too big for me to machine quilt and I think that I would have had about as much difficulty hand quilting as I am having with the tying.  It is about a quarter of the way there and then I still have to bind it. 


I do like the way that it makes it look puffy.  It reminds me of an old fashioned eiderdown.


That is it, my five things for this week!  As and when I finish everything up I will of course share it with you and I will have the tutorial for making the wreath as well.

Thank you everyone once again for joining in.  I hope that you will all add links to your posts down below!

I hope that you all have a great weekend!

Amy


51 comments:

  1. Congratulations Amy, it's working! The flowers are for you! I love all your makes especially the shirt quilt, what a lovely idea. Have a great day my lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your pink bag/basket !!
    And your striped spring wreath with the daffodils is prettier than the one in Simply Crochet - love the colours of the stripes : the blue and green, looks like sky & earth !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Amy, wow you have been busy, not only organising this great link up but look at your craft! Amazing crochet projects and the shirt quilt is fantastic. I am looking forward to seeing everyone else's links added here. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Amy!
    Your crochet works are really lovely and inspiring; I would immediately like to try making daffodils, Easter bunnies and some baskets/bags... :)
    I too have had very busy days. I really hope to be able to join in next week!
    Happy Friday! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy. your shirt quilt looks really nice. I have no idea how to quilt, but would really like to learn. I keep putting it on the back burner, but think I will finally carve out some time to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sitting down to write my post too. Such hard work you've done Amy but already looks like it is paying off. Well done for getting everyone together x

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always, I am in awe of your crocheting ability. I LOVE those daffs and the little bunny. Wish I could make them but I suspect I'd be tying myself in knots! Well done on the quilt- it does look a long job. My William Morris fabric now doesn't look right in our room so I am shelving that one and starting on a new, with more summery colours. I expect the WM one will come out again next winter! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you have been busy. I especially love that quilt. I've tied quilts before now, and they've turned out fine. I shall look forward to seeing it when it's finished. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant, well done Amy! Great work on the link up and the craft fronts! I'll post my 5 on F later! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have put so much work into all of this Amy I hope it goes well for you. If I'm honest I prefer your wreath to the one that inspired you in the first place. Yours has a lot more a Spring feel to it can't wait to see it finished. As for your shirt quilt I wouldn't even know where to begin. Lots of lovely things for your five on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful idea for linking up Amy! You have some fabulous crochet projects here. I love Patons 4ply cotton but had not thought of using it for a bag-I think it looks lovely in Nougat, such a pretty shade. What wonderful and useful baskets too! Have a lovely weekend,
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful crochet Amy - how clever of you to make daffodils - they look quite complicated!
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Thanks for hosting.
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a lovely crafty post and do wish I could crochet like you. I've just been catching up on blogs and your last post shows how your garden is looking so springlike. I wish we could grow snowdrops here, but it doesn't seem to happen. It's probably not cold enough. Have a great weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The wreath is wonderful, really showing the skills and the shirt quilt cant wait to see it all finished so unique it reminds me of beach huts and seaside holidays :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are such a busy girl!! It all looks wonderful and I love the bags and quilt. Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - you've been busy. Your wreath is going to be gorgeous! :) Just ready for the snow I saw forecast this morning?!! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many lovely crafts, Amy. I do love your Spring wreath, better than the inspiration one! I have never seen crotchet daffodils, or a bunny, and both are really cute and pretty. I like your baskets too, and the pink shade really appeals to me. The shirt quilt is a wonderful collection of subtle blue tones, and will be lovely when finished. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your quilt :) I'm looking forward to seeing more of your wreath too. I've got one of those hoop things in a drawer somewhere waiting for inspiration to strike

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your projects, you have been busy, really like your spring wreath too xcx

    ReplyDelete
  20. All such lovely makes, I love them all. Your daffodils are lovely, they would look wonderful on your mantel but will make a fabulous wreath too. I'm looking forward to seeing the quilt once it's finished, it's looking great already.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! You've sure been busy "behind the scenes"! The baskets look great, and even stuffing some yarn in them for storage would look so pretty. What about a few of those cute daffodils sewn onto the base of the handle of the pink basket? It could be part of your next mantel display with that pastel spring pink! The shirt quilt is really coming along. I hand quilted a queen-sized quilt once, but it took forever, and I had help. So tying it seems a good alternative. Love that wreath the best though ... I too think it looks better than the wreath in the magazine. Looking forward to seeing it complete. Congratulations on your first link-up, the links are coming in!! Enjoy your day Amy, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Five lovely things, Amy, especially like your line handle basket. I haven't joined in this week - time ran away with me - but I will be back next week:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Amy I wish you only the best and much success with your five on friday party! I know it will be a hit and thanks for the fun. I love all of your creations and the wreath is really making me want spring to arrive. Your blanket is just gorgeous. Have a nice Friday and weekend.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great projects, Amy!! I've been thinking of that spring wreath, too! I can't wait to see more of yours!! Love all the baskets! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  25. I especially like the bags you've crocheted. They look so handy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your projects. Your quilt is fab and yes, very reminiscent of those comfy eiderdowns we all used to snuggle under.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for all your hard work, I'll do 5 next week, still getting back on my feet. I have several projects planned and I'm definitely going to try a basket.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amy, you are amazing at creating beautiful things. Looks like your links are working. I'll try to link up next week.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amy....Amy....Amy
    Look at you go!
    I could never be so technical....heck, I can't even cut and paste! Hahaha!
    Your crochet looks great.....the small pink one looks like a cat bed!
    Keep on hooking!
    Enjoy your weekend...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amy I'm loving the crocheted baskets, I've always wanted to have a go at making one. The wreaths looks like it going to be beautiful, keep crafting
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Amy!
    Thanks for hosting - how fun!! I think I might have forgotten to put my email when I linked up. Hope that's ok and I'll remember next time! Lol

    I love all of your projects!! You are one talented Gal. I especially love the wreath - looking so pretty. And I love the shirt quilt - it looks so comfy. I'm amazed how you can knit or crochet something into a basket!

    Thanks for sharing and hosting. Happy weekend!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. All so very pretty to . Love the colours ! Thanks for sharing and hosting . Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  33. Clever you Amy for working out how to do the link.
    Your springtime wreath is going to be totally unique, and I do like the combination of colours and stitches in the first basket.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for hosting Five on Friday. I've just added my link.
    Like everyone else I love your crochet wreath. Love the daffs too.
    I wish could crochet but I just end up in a big mess.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Amy you are SO talented. I absolutely love that in line basket....I'd buy it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Everything looks amazing, Amy. Those daffies are fab and the wee bunny rabbit is adorable! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Amy, thank you for hosting! I just love all of your darling projects! The wreath is turning out beautiful and I just love the quilt! I want to make one for my new grandson coming in May. You are such a busy little bee! Everything is lovely. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the quilt! I'm sure you can look at all the little patches and remember when those clothes were worn. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wish I'd seen this earlier. Might link up next week. Loving that pink bag - what about a giveaway for it if you really want to get rid of it? Your work is so neat. Mine's is all over the place at the mo! Thanks for leaving your lovely comment once more, Amy. x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Amy! Oh, my Lord! I've got to rest just reading about all your crocheting! I just thought I was doing a lot! Your wreath is going to be so pretty and I love those little crocheted daffs! Your bags and the little bunny are so sweet. I didn't know about your party! Sounds like so much fun. Now you slow down a bit! :) Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow look at all your projects! It's fantastic! I love your wreath, bags, bowls and a quilt. Such fun projects that make a house a home. I love seeing your lovely projects!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your projects are gorgeous Amy!!! Man you have been busy! Loving the wreath as well! And I am so proud of you for setting this all up! It is just so fantastic!! I look forward to linking up!!! Happy happy weekend! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow you've been busy - so may beautiful things. Love the baskets and the shirt quilt. x

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Amy,

    I love all your wonderful creations and you have been very busy.
    The Spring wreath with the daffodils is sweet and I love the cute Easter bunny and the basket and quilt.
    Thanks for showing us and hope you have a lovely weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a productive week! and now a good weekend! I do like all your makes.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  46. I had plans to join in this week that didn't quite materialise... Maybe next week. I love your crochet basket.

    ReplyDelete
  47. your quilt is looking wonderful, and well done on getting the 5 on Friday linky party started x

    ReplyDelete
  48. You've been very busy. I'd love to hear more about how you've made your quilt and what tying is? xx

    ReplyDelete
  49. Amy congrats what a storming success!! Huge kudos for all your work what a wonderful first 'Five' post and link ups :) I always love reading about your crochet, I especially like the baskets! xx

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love your basket/bag. I think it will be brilliant as a summer or beach bag. Your other WIP's are looking great too. I'm looking forward to your crochet tutorial and hearing more about your quilt. Have a lovely Sunday! X

    ReplyDelete
  51. I swear I can never pull myself together to have a specific post on a specific day. Love your bags and your wonderful quilt. I have a wreath I made two years ago with those flowers on it. Love yours.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx