Thursday, 19 February 2015

A mixed bag

Having been a bit adrift in my blogging for a few weeks, I am getting back on track again now.  Although my post for today has alluded me somewhat.  I had plans for a post about Chinese New Year which is today.  If I had stopped crocheting yesterday and taken the pictures I intended, this post would indeed have been about just that.  However, it isn't!  We will still have homecooked Chinese food tonight for dinner though and use - I hope - the new tea pot and cups that I bought Hubby for Valentines for serving his favourite green tea in.  We even have new chopsticks - a first for us at home, although we use them if we eat Chinese food in a restaurant.

So having failed in my quest to share our version of Chinese with you, I thought last night that I would share some of the pictures of flowers that I have been taking recently, and I will share those in a moment.  My mind was changed again though.  I have just been doing my morning round of blog reading - a good start to the day! - and read this wonderful post by Elaine.  It is all about embracing the rain.

Yesterday it was bright sunshine and ideal for taking pictures, today, it is grey and raining and not a good day for taking pictures.  Hence the no Chinese New Year post! 

After reading Elaine's post I decided that I should embrace the rain, and go out and take some pictures.  So that is just what I did.  It is very wet out there and not a pleasant day at all.  I have made it pleasant though.  Taking a few pictures, gathering some snowdrops and making a little arrangement of them.

If I had taken advantage of the sunshine yesterday, I might not have taken advantage of the rain today.  So that is a good thing isn't it!

On with the pictures!


Since I got this camera I have become rather obsessed with taking pictures of raindrops.  It was something that I have wanted to do for so many years, but never had a camera that took them how I wanted before, so although it might seem odd, it is a real joy to me.


On to the rainy pictures in the garden thought.  The Nandina - Sacred Bamboo - is always good for taking pictures in the rain as it is always in leaf, always colourful and shows up the raindrops beautifully.  What more could you ask for in a plant!



It might seem as though everything is rather dead and boring the garden right now.  It is certainly not looking at its best and is in some areas sorely in need of attention.  While I am happy to take pictures in the rain, I do not garden in the rain!

When you look closer though you can see that there are signs of life.  The bulbs that I planted in the old veggie beds and thought that Mr Squirrel had dug up and eaten are coming up - although there should be a lot more!



The snowdrops are doing their wonderful snowdroppy thing in the grass and the border.  Don't they look wonderful!



So I picked a few to make a mini bouquet to take inside.  This is something that I had intended to do more, but last year I only picked one.  Perhaps I will be inspired to do it more often now that I have these inside!

You can see the raindrops still on them, I picked them, came straight in, into the little vase and then photographed them!  Quick worker me.


I know the one above is out of focus, it was in the background of another close up, but I liked the way that it looked sort of ethereal and other worldly somehow.


Snowdrops remind me of the skirts of ballet dancers, so graceful and elegant and flowing all around them.

Once I had my mini bouquet I knew exactly where I would put it.  On my bedside table.  There is a lot of junk here and not much beauty, but I think that these have added a note of wonder and will be a fleeting passing moment of joy!  Much nicer than remotes and telephones and books!



So I am sitting here now at my desk having been out in the rain and being glad that I am back in the warm again.  You can see what a tiny space I have to work in - and what a mess I make - although the stuff on the filing cabinet is NOT mine!!  Well, the printer is half mine!

I have the fire on beside me to keep me toasty warm and snug cosy.


I also have this wonderful new light which takes up so much less space than the old one did - it had an enormous shade on it and actually shines the light where I want it to be - much better!  Sorry to be showing you a picture of a light, but I know that you understand these things!



Yesterday, before I got distracted by crochet and didn't take the pictures I intended, I did take some lovely flowery pictures, so here they are!  A beautiful Cyclamen that I purchased as a treat this week.  Isn't it a stunner, the petals on these are rather like ballet dancers skirts in reverse!




The tulips were a gift from hubby for Valentines.  They are so lovely.  I told him that I didn't want roses please - how bossy am I - they are so expensive and don't last any longer than tulips and I prefer these as they are much more "right" for this time of year I think.  I will enjoy roses in the garden this summer.


You can see again that I have been playing around with my camera though.  The photo above has the focus on the petals and this one on the stamens in the middle.



The colours are glorious aren't they.  What a nice man my hubby is!


Now that I have taken the pictures and uploaded them and written this the sun has still not come out, but the rain seems to have lessened, so perhaps some blue will pass by the window soon.  I will go and look out some Chinese recipes for dinner and see if I have the ingredients, if not a quick trip to the shop is required.

Then I will need to get on and prepare my Five On Friday post for tomorrow.  I am very nervous as I hope that some of you will join in and I am also very nervous of setting up the linky thing, so cross your fingers for me and wish me luck!  Hopefully I will see you tomorrow!

Amy

41 comments:

  1. I'm sure your chinese new year blog would have been lovely but I have enjoyed your alternative just as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of embracing the rain! And, you did so beautifully. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little snowdrop bouquet is so pretty. It's raining here today too, perhaps I should embrace it like you and take some photos of it, though I have to go out in it soon so perhaps not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are brilliant and the write up to, I have a post in mind for five on friday, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not embrace rain very well. It's my least favorite weather event. I would rather it snow a lot than rain! However I think you've captured the beauty of rain or when the rain is done. Your snowdrops are beautiful and I love the bouquet on the table to remind us of warmer days and short sleeved weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's pouring down here so I am concentrating on putting together my post for your Five on Friday (a little sunshine on a rainy day!). We are having a Chinese takeaway this evening in celebration, but hubby will go and get this as I will be keeping warm after a long walk with Coco. Now, where's my boots and cagoule??!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely flower pictures :) I don't tend to bother with cut roses much either, not really sure what the fuss is all about. Having said that I will sometimes snip a bloom from the roses in the garden to have in a little vase inside.

    Love your snowdrops, really wishing I'd planted some last year. Aside from a couple of crocuses I've not got any flowers yet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, your pictures are lovely, especially the tulips. Rain really makes colors beautiful in photos actually. Sometimes the sun distorts the picture a bit. Good luck with five on Friday this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snow still on the ground from Monday night here and cold with gusts up to 36mph. Low tonight of 6 so there has been little melting. My buttercups, ie daffodils, were in bud but have held off opening. Praying our roses and apple tree are okay through this. Thank you for sharing the beautiful pics. I received a white cyclamen for my birthday and they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your pictures - the flowers are gorgeous. We had heavy rain this morning but it's lovely and sunny now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely mixed bag Amy all the same! I wont be partaking in tomorrows five for obvious reasons! unless I can get a photo of the pigeon f course. Love the tulips, mine are white. I agree with you on the roses xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Come rain or shine those photos are a real pick me up. So, Thank You !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such prettiness out there in the rain! Inside, your tulips are looking just as beautiful as the day you received them! What colour! Yes, I agree, time for tulips, since you do have your share of roses in the summer. Enjoy!

    Poppy
    P.S.: I'm sitting in my sunroom, a space heater beside me, while it is snowing on this very blustery, uncharacteristically Cretan day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the close-up shots of your snowdrops :) They are such cute little promises of spring. They usually come up through lingering snow here, but that won't be for a couple of months yet. Beautiful bouquet of tulips too! Such a colourful bunch! I hope your rain clears off soon Amy. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Forget the Chinese New Year thing. This was a much nicer post.
    I like your little work area; it must be cozy with the fire? And the flowery storage boxes in the background are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The snowdrops are such a pretty little flower. There is something brooding (in a romantic way) about rain isn't there? Especially on flowers. It always makes me feel contemplative and reflective about things.

    Those tulips are GORGEOUS!!!! I could stare at them all day. I can't wait to come and check out your new Friday posting and hope to join in! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Snowdrops in the rain are the prettiest things. All the colour in the tulips is heartening on what is a very grey, drizzly day here, too. Enjoy your Chinese takeout this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish I could embrace the rain like you did... I try, but I just can't... I like gardening, walking, working in the paddock, playing with my donkeys, but when it rains, well, it just isn't as much fun... Plus it is wet. I don't mind wet, as long as it is in a bath or a shower ;-) !
    How awesome, so many snowdrops in your garden !! How did you get so many of them ? Did you plant them, or did they spread out ??

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful flower photo's Amy. I agree we have to try to make the best of whatever weather we get on any given day. The tulips are gorgeous, always my favourite at this time of year. X

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful flowers, enjoy your Chinese meal tonight xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Things are coming to life in your corner of the world! We won't have signs of spring for another couple of months. Enjoy those gorgeous flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Alchemilla mollis (lady's mantle) is the plant you want for raindrop pictures, you can't beat it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know, I was thinking exactly the same thing as I read Amy's post! xx

      Delete
    2. I agree with you both. Unfortunately the lady's mantle isn't out yet and the nandina is there all year round, that is why it gets my vote! The little balls of rain that gather on lady's mantle remind me of little drops of silver they are wonderful aren't they! xx

      Delete
  23. Brilliant - I love snowdrops and cyclamen! I know what you mean about missing the moment for photographs when the sun is shining, as it happened to me today!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loving all your spring flowers, sometimes the rain is a good excuse to snuggle up inside, read a book, watch movies and fill the house with baking. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another lovely post which I so enjoyed reading, Amy :o) M got me tulips for Valentines too- lovely red ones which have all splayed out in the most beautiful shape round the vase. I know you're meant to prick them to stop them dropping but it never seems to work so I didn't and now the shape is lovely so I'm glad I didn't!
    Love all your snowdrop photos and it was really nice to see your workspace too. It looks cosy. I will try and join in the 5 on friday because it is such a lovely idea for a blog post. Not sure about tomorrow though as we're in half term mode and my time is not my own in the same way! xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful photo's they made me skippy happy I love the snow drop ones and but wow the cyclamen are just stunning.
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your snowdrops, Amy and tulips are just right for this time of year! We are raining and gray here, too and I don't feel like doing much, so I enjoyed your lovely flowers - they make me smile! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  28. So glad you went out to take pics in the rain - thanks for mention, glad you enjoyed the post. I love the snowdrops in your lawn - that's a good idea because the ones I have in my border keep getting dug up every time I dig the soil over. Your Valentine tulips are such lovely colours - they certainly cheer up a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous photos Amy, and how lovely to see all those snowdrops, and also your rhubarb starting to grow. Your work space looks very cosy and warm. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Loved looking at your flowers ....... very cheery.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  31. How wonderful that you have so many snowdrops in your garden, and how cosy your workspace looks. If Elaine's post was aout celebrating rain I think it is safe to say that yours is about celebrating the simple joys of home.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely to have fresh cut flowers....
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  33. your garden looks lovely in the rain Amy you are very brave to go out there and take them in the cold, your snowdrops are beautiful, there's no sign of mine just yet. My son likes eating with chopsticks of course he and Emily were eating with them all the time she was over here but I'm useless I keep dropping them and the food goes all over the place. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely photos, Amy. Our garden is showing signs of new life too - even in the rain! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I loved being nosy and seeing your workspace. :)
    I'm trying to embrace the rain today - I'm struggling at the moment! Enjoy your weekend (as you can see I'm very behind getting round to reading blogs this week. ) x

    ReplyDelete
  36. A great outside-inside post. I love both rain and flowers and while I love tulips as much as the next person, cyclamens are my favorites. The come is amazing colors these days and are said to be the shyest of flowers.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  37. wonderful pictures, and a brilliant post. glad you celebrated the rain in the end, and hope you had a lovely meal x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love your beautiful flowers. I always embrace the rain, well except when driving in it. We get some heavy downpours here in Florida and people can't drive in them so they freak out. Hope you have a great week,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  39. well it hasn't stopped raining here all day - well, it did hail instead for a while but that wasn't any more pleasant. I applaud your enjoyment of the rain!! Snowdrops are one of my favourites - I love your posy. I recently bought a little vase like that at the charity shop so may try and create a little posy of my own! Take care, J9 x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx