I am so pleased to be able to report that my All The Colours Ripple Blanket is FINISHED!!! Yay!! Yes, I am shouting!!
I have had a love hate relationship with this blanket. I loved it when I started, then I went off and did other things and wasn't so keen to come back to it. The colours didn't seem right to me. They are much much brighter than I would normally use, especially in such a big way as a whole blanket. I don't think that I have owned something so bright since the 70's!
Although I have small items that are bright, home accessories, all those mandala's!, scarves and so on, this is big and bright for me.
The more that I worked on it though, the more I liked it, gradually, as the combinations of different colours came through I fell more and more in love.
Then, last week, disaster struck again and we fell right out of love. I wasn't in love with my ripple any more! After finishing working all the rows of ripples, and straightening the end, I folded it up for the night and the end I had just finished was narrower than the other end - agghhh! Disaster! We were not in love in anymore.
Of course, I couldn't really give up on it. Apart from anything else I am not a quitter. I decided to sew in the ends and call it good. No border, no finishing. Nothing. That would be it. This was just meant to be a blanket for outside use - on my hammock in fact - and what did it matter if there was a border or not.
I sewed in the ends and gave the narrow end a good few tugs and somehow it seemed to come nearer to the width of the other end. So I thought that perhaps a row of trebles around the whole thing might just hold it in shape. After one row, I added another. And another. Then it seemed like a border. That would need a finish around it of course! So I added a row of DC's and then the final edging, DC's with a picot edge - I love picot's!
There you have it, Ta Dah! a finished All The Colours Ripple Blanket and we are back in love again!!
In fact, I am not sure that I can bear for this to go outside after all that we have been through. That is alright though because it is winter now and so I can use it inside for now and then see what happens when summer comes can't I!
We have been through a lot this blanket and I. I will definitely be making more blankets - I already have the yarn for the next one! - and I will make another ripple at some point too I am sure. I thoroughly recommend them to anyone. Have a go!
For the "techies" amongst us, here are some specifications in case you are interested.
The finished blanket measures 127 cms or 50 inches wide by 191 cms or 76 inches long.
It is made using this pattern from Attic 24. However, I added my own border. This included straightening the rippley ends. Then a row of trebles down the two straight edges. Then all around, two more rows of trebles, one row of DC and then one row of DC with a picot every 5 stitches.
The yarn is all Stylecraft Special DK using this pack of yarn, but remember you can just buy the colours individually elsewhere. I am not promoting anyone here!
All stitch references in this post and in the pattern are in UK terms.
The colours are not true in these pictures. It is the light! They are much brighter than they appear, and actually much nicer! The pictures have come out very "blue".
It took - oh, ages!
I have a lot of yarn left over. I could have made the blanket considerably wider with all that I had, or longer. I used some for mandala's and will use the rest for other things. I have already used bits and pieces here and there for other things. You will be seeing more of these colours!
The colours of the different stripes make for a very long list that I won't give here because it isn't very thrilling. I did make sure that I had no two colours next to each other more than once though and tried to be as random as possible. It didn't always work out to be that random though! Basically I used each colour four times for the ripples.
This picture is the best representation of the colours, I think! It also shows how this blanket will be most of its life. Screwed up and in use! Just as it should be.
So, that is it. All done. Another thing off my list and I can move on to the next thing! Next up is a little valentines project, a crochet hat and working on that quilt!
Oh, and in case you are wondering, no pictures of the snow because there isn't any here. I hope that those of you with snow are safe and warm though!