Friday, 30 January 2015

How NOT to do what I did

Thank you ALL for your kind comments on my post yesterday.  I will be taking up offers of help with the badge thingy and will explain what that is all about once I have it sorted - after a good dose of help from the lovely clever bloggers out there!

As far as the photos, I spent pretty much the whole day yesterday putting pictures back into my posts, one picture at a time, one post at a time.  I post most days, with lots of pictures, so that is a lot of posts and pictures!  So far I have gone back to the end of November and still have to go back to sometime in September before they will be OK I think.  There are also some earlier posts than that affected too.  It will be a long job.

The photos are all still there in Picasa, and once I started to repair the damage I realised what I had done.  I had clicked something that I shouldn't have and it meant that the link between the photos on my blog and the photos in Picasa was broken. 

Unfortunately, though, although I can make a jolly good guess at what the photos were and where they were placed because of the words, they might not be totally the same.  So if you go back and look at a post and the pictures are different than you remember, that is why.   I have mentioned below how I am hoping - should another catastrophe ever happen - to not have that happen again.

So, in order that you don't make the same mistake - although I am sure that you are far too clever for that! - do not, I say, DO NOT!!!, change the privacy settings on each photo album.  Once you have put the pictures into your blog, whatever the privacy settings are on that album, you jolly well have to leave them there.  Picasa will tell you not to change them if you try and will warn you not to do it - it is cleverer than me.  But if you ignore it, you too will end up in the same sticky sorry mess as me!!  If the privacy setting for the album is changed, Blogger cannot find the pictures, and then you have those nasty no entry looking signs where your photos should be.

Just wanted you all to know in case you too are tempted to go fiddling around!  Of course, if you want to delete all your photos from your blog in one easy fell swoop, well, easy peasy!  Just do what I did!!

Some of you mentioned backing up your blog.  Now, I am clearly NOT a technical person, but I did have in my head somewhere that the backing up is of your template, not the actual blog posts - but please - PLEASE - tell me if that is wrong.  In order therefore not to be in the horrible position of having no blog posts or photos ever again, as I rectify each post I am copying and pasting it into a word document so that I have a record of them (and then backing that up too!).  If anyone knows a better way though, please let me know.

Oy!  I know they say you live and learn, learn by your mistakes, don't make the same mistake twice and all that, but really.  I could have done with not learning this lesson.

My stomach is churning over less now and I did sleep last night, unlike Wednesday night, so that has to be an improvement doesn't it.  As I sat putting the pictures back, post by post, I had hubby's Kindle sat beside me so that I could check that the pictures really were there in the posts as they got repaired and updated.  Then last night I made him - poor man! - go through the posts that I had repaired on his laptop to see if they were there too.  Some of you e-mailed as well to say that they appeared to be there - they are the repaired posts - so that was good news too.  Thank you for letting me know!

Today I will be doing more and will keep on until it is all fixed as I cannot bear to have all those nasty no entry signs on my blog after all the work that I have put into it.  One thing at a time hey.  It does mean though that I will be around and about less, so please bear with me.  I am reading your posts somewhat and trying to comment, but I will be sloooooooooowwww!!

Thank you again - I know, I am always saying thank you, but it is because you give so much to be thankful for!! - for being so wonderful.  I will be putting the thanks that I have into my special thanks jar, but I might miss out the reason so that I don't have to relive this all again next January!!

I knew that bloggers are brilliant, already, and this week, meeting Selma and having all of your support and offers of help has just confirmed that.  So remember, don't fiddle with the privacy settings in Picasa and BLOGGERS ARE BRILLIANT!! 

Amy

p.s. just off to copy and paste this now!

49 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you are getting it sorted - albeit it slowly. I hope you have a bottle of wine in the fridge for tonight! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, you're a star for working slowly through it all and putting it back the way it was. So frustrating, but it will be worth it in the end to have your lovely blog back whole again. Keep going! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Amy

    I am so pleased and happy you have sorted it out, albeit slowly, and thank you so much for
    explaining what not to do.

    Have a large glass of wine.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. we can all learn by others mistakes thank you for the advice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will keep this in mind just in case I ever hit that wrong button.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you worked the problem out and although it is a hero's day's work, it will be well worth it in the end. I upload all my photos from my harddisk, which probably avoids similar problems. I never quite got to the bottom of Picasa, too complicated for my simple mind. Just as well. Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phew! What a relief you are able to get it all back together again. I assumed blogger saved all the posts but am now wondering about that so a back up is an excellent idea, and when M is home tonight I shall be asking him because I am useless at that sort of thing. So in a way (although I am so sorry you had to be the one to go through all that) you have helped the rest of us avoid these things in the future and I for one am very grateful you highlighted these things :o) Hope you have a more restful weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, after reading your post yesterday, I was reminded that I hadn't backed up my blog for a while - October last year - so I immediately went and did it. Yes, it backs up your template but there's also a way of backing up your posts. Let me tell you how:
    1. To back up your template: click on "design" at the top of your screen (when you're on your blog), then "template", then "back-up/restore", then "download full template". That will download a file to your computer so put it somewhere safe so you can get it if you need it.
    2. To back up your posts and comments: Click on "design", then on "settings", then on "other", then on "export blog", then on "download blog". Again, save the downloaded file just in case you need it.

    Do it, everyone (using a blogger blog). Do it now! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, I am fascinated by this as I want to move some blog posts from one blog to another, long story, won't bore you. I had no idea you had to backup blog stuff, but then I am a techno-twit! I am wondering if I did what you said above could I move the posts that way? thanks for any extra info.
      Susan x (aka Dollyclothespeg)

      Delete
    2. Hi Susan, yes you can use this function to move posts - I did the same a couple of years ago when I moved from wordpress to blogger. Not sure where your blog is stored, but here's the link to the blogger support page for this: https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/97416?hl=en

      Delete
    3. Thank you, I will have a go. My family don't know because of the sensitive posts, that is why I want to move them and 'start again'.
      x

      Delete
  9. Oh dear such alot of work for you but at least it sounds as though you are getting sorted now.. There are all sorts of issues on my blog and no matter how hard I try to find a way to make them right I have failed miserably. Never mind, when I'm feeling brave I might even change the header!!! Enjoy your weekend xcx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you're managing to sort it out, but what a job. I'm not technically minded at all and it's something I would do if I went messing about with my blog so thank you for the warning. I tend not to touch anything in my settings or change things around as I know I'd end up deleting the lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You poor thing! I'm glad you are getting it sorted now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so glad you sorted it out-that is a scarey event to go through. I have a blog friend that wrote a gorgeous blog and had 100s of followers perhaps close to 1000 and she was doing something-I think she wanted to changeher blog title but did something she should not have and her blog was wiped out-no way to get it back she was devastated I am not a tech person so I just type lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Amy. What a bummer!!! I hate to try to "fix" things on my blog. Right now the time setting on my e-mail is off... and I've tried and tried... and think I have checked every single setting that could make it off... but NO LUCK! Sometimes it can make you crazy! Good luck with getting things straightened out! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember those feelings Amy, as a couple of years ago I somehow mislaid a load of photos from my blog....I too put them back one by one, only to find, through my wonderful bloggy friends that they had been there all along and I was putting back multiple copies! Great idea to have two devices alongside each other so you can check!
    I agree - the bloggy community is fab!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a to do! Sorry this happened to you. I have on occasion backed up my template and my blog but I need to do that again :) Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amy, don't worry that we will see something amiss among your pictures on your blog...our memories aren't that great! Glad you are getting it sorted, and thanks to Ann for the tips on downloading.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Amy. What a mate and what a helpful husband too. Glad you can sort it despite it taking so long. Sending hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Amy so sorry for the mess you have with the blog. I do hope that you get it all sorted out. I'm sorry about the badge thing but I'm not too good with that kind of work and hopefully someone will help you out with that. Do have a good day and weekend.
    Hugs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Amy - glad you are getting there, as you mention we learn by our mistakes, it is so easy to press the wrong button, and bang wallop all is lost.
    You can back up your blog content (posts/photos/comments)
    You can look at this link which gives a good step by step
    http://www.shineyourlightblog.com/2013/01/how-to-back-up-your-blogger-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you got it figured out! I don't know if this helps, but I put my pictures on a flash drive from Picassa, then onto my blog from the flash drive. That way I don't have to keep them all on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh no, what a nightmare, glad you are managing to fix it slowly. I have now set up my blog so that each new post is emailed to me, so that I have a record of them. I didn't do this for years though, and I don't think you can do it retrospectively........

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just catching up and realised what a huge stress you have been having......so glad you are getting it sorted out now, and well done for persevering! I know that feeling of panic when you do something that has an unexpected result on your blog.....it is soooo stressful! I hope you have a nice relaxing weekend now, Amy!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  23. Darling Amy, don't forget to breathe in between! Well done for getting it sorted and persevering with it so take a deep breath, give yourself a big pat on the back and exhale. This too shall pass :-)
    Hope you have a lovely, stress-free weekend,
    hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad you've got it all sorted now - at least knowing what went wrong and being able to fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh you have definitely learned a lot the hard way Amy. I didn't even know there are privacy settings on Picassa!!! Oh dear. I haven't a clue how to check that and see if I have any on mine. And I've never backed up my blog either and didn't know how. Sheesh. I'm learning stuff here today. I'm so happy for you that you got things worked out and are up and running again. Perhaps a tutorial on both of these topics would be a help to not only myself but other bloggers?? I would dearly hate to lose my photos or my blog. I hope you have a restful weekend after the stress of the week. Hugs. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  26. I read your blog last week but I was on the move with my tablet and I always make spelling errors when commenting on my tablet so I waited until I was comfy at the PC and on my! what an IT disaster. You are one step ahead of me because I blow my photos away after they are on my blog to save hard drive space. I should start to keep them in an icloud or something. Glad you kept good humored about it. Love your picture. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been blogging since 2007, and I can tell you I've had more support from bloggers that almost anyone I know. Glad you have some that are tech. smart...that would not be me!!! But I'm here for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for all the information Amy and must look into backing things up and I don't touch much at all. I'll read through a few more of the comments as I've noticed a couple who seem tech savvy. Hope it doesn't take you too long and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh no!
    I don't envy you that thankless task. I upgraded the theme of my blog last year and it changed all the formatting of earlier posts. Having ignored the problem for months I've just started to go through it all, post by post, to get it all put right. I do a few every night so it doesn't feel so bad... sympathies!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm glad you are making progress. Thanks also for the tip. I had backed up my template but not my blog posts. I'm just off to do it now. I would be very upset to lose everything.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh Lord what a mess, bless your heart I hope you continue to get it all sorted out. Hang inthere.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  32. At least you know what caused the problem and what to do about it. Glad you're getting your blog back in some sort of order xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have had my blog since Aug. of 2011 and I still don't know what the heck I am doing. I need to do change my profile writing and really, the whole layout of my blog, but I am afraid to, since I figure I will just mess something up. Once, I hit some kind of button, and everything shrunk, it was so small, I couldn't even see what I was typing! AHHHH!!!! I really shouldn't have a blog. I really don't know how to do much.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh no, Amy! I'm sorry this happened but glad you're on track now! Hope you get it all straightened out.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm glad you are figuring it out Amy....and thank you for the advice as I sometimes have no idea what I am doing! I could use all the heads up I can get! You take care and good luck getting the rest sorted friend! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  36. Good tip, and well done for figuring out what went wrong (although why life can't just have a permanent 'undo last action' button to make it simpler, I don't know.)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I keep the pictures from every post in a named folder on my laptop and, when I've got about ten or twelve, I transfer them to a memory stick on which I only keep blog photos. I don't trust Picasa or anything like it! xx PS - my email address is: emparko@gmail.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Glad you are getting it sorted Amy but you have far more patience than me. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. So glad you have it figured out - but sorry it involves so much work! Ugh!! ((Hugs!)) thanks for the good tips too.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Amy so glad to hear you have figured out what to do. Even though it will be a lot of work at least you know you can get things back to normal. Thank you for sharing your tips and for your followers sharing their tips. I don't post much but I would hate to lose all of my posts. Good luck and don't stress out over it too much. Your blog is always a fun spot to visit on the WWW!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sorry to hear about all the stress! Well done on getting it sorted you are certainly more talented in the technology department than me ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Makes me shudder just to think about it, I have had those moments when your press something then realise you shouldn't have and get a cold feeling. Glad you are managing to sort it x

    ReplyDelete
  43. Amy how upsetting for you but so easily done I too have done this but I only did it witha few pics before I realised that it was all linked. I do hope you can sort it all out soon...bestest of luck
    D xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  44. So sorry you have had so much problems by just pressing a button. You reminded me that I hadn't backed up for ages too! Fellow bloggers have given so good tips too, so as you continue your job of restoring just think you may have stopped so many others from doing the same thing, which is just so easy to do. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx