It was so much easier blogging this week than when I returned to it last week after the break for Christmas. Life has returned to "normal", back to work and day to day activities. Christmas decorations all packed away. The mantel has been updated - you can see it here if you missed. I have had a big sort out of all of my crafty things and projects waiting to be done and made some little plans for the year - reading more and getting all my WIP's finished and doing all the things in the "to start pile". No resolutions, no words for the year, just getting on and trying to do things in a positive way.
So, here we go - five things which were good or important to me this week, in no particular order it should be said.
1. Congratulations to all of those of you who guessed last week that this was a tapestry frame! I have had tapestry frames before, but never a floor standing one. This was the total revelation that I hoped it would be. It is so much easier to work with as you can use two hands at once to pass the needle and there is no turning the frame over and so on. I cannot wait to get working with it.
It also has the advantage that when I am not working on the tapestry I can let the frame hang down and it stores out of the way easily. The bag holds all of my wools and I had that already.
So, sadly not a loom - sorry Jill and others! - perhaps one day though, because how great would that be!!
2. Now, this is a bit of an odd one for me. Several of you asked to see the inside of our Christmas cake when it was cut. The odd thing for me is that I am not sure why! However, I bow to your requests and here are some pictures of it as you asked for.
Perhaps you could explain why you wanted to see the inside as I am intrigued to know! The "dome" is just to keep it fresh and save from having to keep wrapping and unwrapping it in plastic wrap. It is very tasty and is well on the way to being all eaten up!
3. You remember the Wool Winder? The one that I didn't get for Christmas so I ordered one for myself. Well, it arrived on Wednesday. I got it out of the box, clamped it to the kitchen table and wound a cake of yarn. I was so happy. It worked perfectly and was exactly what I wanted and hoped it would be.
Of course you are guessing that things didn't go so well after that aren't you. They didn't. I tried to wind some more and the spindle thing came off, the wool got all tangled. I discovered that if you forget to pull the strand of yarn from the middle of the cake before you take it off the spool you cannot do it afterwards without making a massive mess and having a big tangle. I also learned that I cannot wind yarn when I have an audience. Oh, and it will not wind more than about half a ball of Stylecraft in one go. This is what you end up with if you try that!
However, after some more practicing and slow winding and paying attention, it is now working really well and I am very pleased with it! Yay for Wool Winders!! Another great tip is to wrap a piece of washi tape around the outside to keep it all together and hold the end in. Sue told me that one - she is very clever! I need to go back and add a piece of tape to all of these now.
4. As I am sure many people are the world over, I am feeling terribly sad about events that are currently unfolding in France. I am so grateful that I live in a country where I can speak my mind freely and although I may not always like or agree with what others say, I support their right to be able to say these things. Having this little place where I can say what I like and know that I am free to do that is very important to me.
5. The final thing to share this week is this beautiful bunch of tulips that I actually bought a week ago. They took a while to show their lovely flowers which were just tight buds when they came home with me. Now they are looking spending and starting to do that growing in different directions thing that tulips do which makes me so very happy!
Thank you as always for stopping by and for your lovely comments. Hello as well to all of those of you who have started following my little blog recently. It is lovely to have you here, thank you for joining in!
I hope that you all have a great weekend!
I am joining in Five on Friday, taking five minutes from our day to enjoy five things. Please go and visit the other people who are also blogging about Five on Friday this week.