Friday, 16 January 2015

Five on Friday

This has been a week of odds and ends.  I have spent a lot of time crafting and the weather has not been at all conducive to getting out and about and doing anything exciting.  My quilt is still laying folded up waiting to be unpinned and then pinned again, I might give it another go today - perhaps...

My brain has clearly not been working well as yesterday I somehow turned off the comments on my post!  Anyway, I realised and so I have turned them back on if anyone wants to make any remarks!  Sorry if you thought I had gone crazy - I had!

I am also considering how to take Five on Friday forward.  There are so many of you now joining in with this and wanting to join that I don't quite know what to do.  I am working on a "badge" and then wondering whether to do a link party or something similar to The Year in Books perhaps.  Anyway, I will keep both readers and participants informed as I go forward!  Nothing is changing right now that is sure.

So, in random fashion here are my Five on Friday! (oh, there are more than five pictures by the way!)

1.  I was leaning out of the window taking pictures of the clouds for another post - which I will come to in just a moment - and I suddenly saw this bird flying around.  I took some pictures quickly, zoomed in as far as I could, before it flew off.  No time to grab my long lens.

It is a red kite.  We see them flying overhead from time to time.  I don't suppose that he will deign to visit the garden for the Big Garden Birdwatch either!  In fact, since my Woodpecker sighting, I have hardly seen any birds in the garden.  Oh well, it is a couple of weeks away yet.







The kite disappeared and I went to get my other lens and wait for it to come back.  After a while it hadn't returned, so I took a picture of this nest - I don't imagine this is the kite's - in a neighbours tree.


A last the kite made one very brief appearance and I got this last picture of the kite before it flew away and didn't come back again.  It looks almost ghostly and at the same time the wings remind me of angels wings!


2.  I haven't been out in the garden to do any work for ages now as the ground is so sodden and I have to go on the grass to do anything and we try and stay off the grass so that we don't compact it any more than it already is.

However, yesterday I really wanted to get out and see what, if anything, was happening out there.

My little greenhouse is still doing well.  It hasn't blown away or fallen apart and the geraniums are still OK inside.  I didn't open it though as it was bitterly cold and I didn't want to give them a shock, I just peered in through the cover!



I love my Nandina Domestica - Sacred Bamboo - and the wonderful berries that it has at this time of year.  The birds don't eat them at all, although I don't know why, so we get to enjoy them for a long time which is nice.



Other things are doing well too, this achillea is still alive which is a miracle, the first one I have ever managed to keep and the self seeded geraniums are still very happy.



There are lots of other things growing too, above are ranunculi and anemones.  Below is my wonderful bright red oriental poppy.



The snowdrops are starting to make their appearance, although we seem to get a lot less each year.  I think the squirrel is slowing eating them all - he eats everything else!



This patch of moss looks pretty bad, but it confirms my belief that this will be the right place for a new border of hostas later in the year - nice and damp and cool and shady!



The pots of bulbs are coming up, but the squirrel has been at these too.  Grr!!


Little Mr Robin is supposed to keep these critters away, he isn't doing a very good job!


3.  Returning to number one where I said that I was taking pictures of the clouds for another post, well, they are for my Sunlit Sunday post this week.  I promised Karen that I would share with you all that you are most welcome to join in, wherever you live in the world.  Visit Karen's blog here and you can find out all about it and perhaps join in if you wish.  It is lots of fun and only runs for a few months each year.

4.  Although I am supposed to be getting on my with quilt, I have just started a little something else that I need right now.  Can't be without something on my crochet hook!  Any idea what it is yet?


5.  You will know if you have been reading this blog for any time that I am rubbish at keeping houseplants alive, but that I found I could grow Kalanchoe - thanks to my pal Linda!

Well, I would like to introduce you to my new Kalanchoe.  She is called Katy.  Because apparently these plants are also known as Flaming Katy.


She sits on the kitchen window sill with my Christmas cactus - that is also somehow still alive.


My now year old Kalanchoe is also here.  Looking a little bedraggled, she needs a tidy up. but she is still flowering her little socks off and I am so pleased.  I am calling this one Linda, after my pal who introduced me to these plants and also, because Linda gives her houseplants names, so I am hoping that will make mine grow better!


Five little moments!

*******************

I am joining in Five on Friday, taking five minutes from our day to enjoy five things.  Please go and visit the other people who are also blogging about Five on Friday this week.

CJ from Above The River
Jill from Emerald Cottage 
Nicole from My Garden Diaries 
Beth from The Whimsical Dowager
Julie from Julie's Lifestyle
Alison from Life At Sylvan House

Amy

40 comments:

  1. Wow that is a big Five on Friday. I thought you lived near Basildon Park or at least in that area because Red Kites are very common round here. My wife told me we had snowdrops growing through the lawn but as it dark when I go to and from work I have not seen yet but today I will. House plantes need love, if your killing them love them some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely to see the garden waking up isn't it.....have a great weekend :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, Amy! I have a Flaning Katy too, a yellow one. I'm rubbish with houseplants too! Your ripple blanket is fabulous by the way. Is the pink crochet going to be a jacket for your plant?? :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Christmas cactus is very interesting. It looks like it forms flowers along the sides of the leaves too. That makes for a LOT of flowers! COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely five! We have started to see red kites around here lately although I always see them when I'm teaching in Great Missenden. I did wonder why I couldn't leave a comment yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely post! the Kite is magnificent! and I'm so excited about snowdrops :) are you crocheting a hat? xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bulbs coming up here too and our grass is also sodden so not much getting out in the garden here either at present. Love the colours in your latest crochet project and Katy is lovely- very cheerful xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, a red kite, lucky you. My biggest boy will be so envious. He's hoping to see some in Wales in the summer. Lovely to see what's coming up in your garden, and I really like the metal buckets of bulbs. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is nice to see how your garden is growing even though our climates are very different. I didn't realise that squirrels could be so pesky! I love your zygocactus and kalanchoe - I am growing them too...although my zygos need repotting because they are looking a little tired after a drought. Yours are looking very lush. Good luck with your bulbs - I hope they manage to survive your squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely to see everything emerging in your garden, soon there will be a rush of colours from your bulbs, love snowdrops so pretty xcx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought it was me not being able to leave a comment yesterday!! :)
    I love seeing the red kites when I drive up to my sisters - there always seem to be so many near the motorway - how lucky to see one near your garden. Buzzards have made a reappearance round here, and I saw one just before Christmas a bit further up the lane. Isn't it great to be able to see birds of prey. Have a great weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are making me want to get out in my garden, Amy! That's a good thing. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Red Kites are such beautiful birds, It's wonderful to see them around as they were near extinction at one time. I'm terrible at keeping houseplants alive, the only ones I have are a couple of orchids as they don't take much looking after and are very forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing all the snowdrops peeping up through the earth. We've only just planted our daffodils but hey ho ours will be a few weeks (or months) later than everyone else's. Have a great weekend. P x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Five on Friday, I love all the things coming to life in the gardenxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amy, I'm guessing you are making a hat? Looks like you are getting things growing well.Those pesky squirrels. They are so cute, but can do so much damage!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aren't those squirrels the most annoying creatures? I planted spring bulbs last fall and some are coming up, but not nearly as many as I planted. I fear our resident squirrel population has had a feast. Snowdrops are my very favourite spring flower. Yours are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How wonderful to see the Red Kite - such graceful birds. I've mostly seen them in Wales and I love that mewling sounds they make overhead. Is your crochet a bright and cheerful winter hat to keep you warm in this weather? Look forward to seeing the completed work later:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Amy, thanks for hosting this fun five on friday. I love the bird flying and it looks so beautiful and peaceful. I love your plants and they look so pretty and remind me of spring. I can't believe that your bulbs are growing so well too. Take care and I'm so glad to be a part of your 5 on friday! Have a great weekend.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Amy! The kite is amazing! Wow!
    I think your garden is very encouraging! We don't have any of that and won't for a few months. Are you crocheting a pretty bowl? Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The red kite is lovely to watch, we get them now and again. I have spotted some snow drops here and there in my garden too, and green shoots for something else. Hmmm what are you making?? Maybe a bag or basket/bowl to keep things in. Nice colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the photo of the ghost-kite !! It is so beautiful - more art than just a photo of a bird !!
    (Ps is it a cap or a sort of bonnet you're crocheting ?)
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Linda is the Kalanchoe lady for sure! She bought a white one before Christmas and I'd been looking for one and finally found one yesterday, which pleased me to no end. Great to see a rare bird in your area! I like the ghostly photo of it. It's so nice to see the snowdrops and other spring bulbs coming up already. Have a lovely weekend Amy. xx Pam

    ReplyDelete
  24. You're not the only one who struggles to grow house plants, Amy. I've killed quite a few over the past years that I've now decided I'll just have cacti and succulents. They're easy to look after and the ones I have are still okey...so far : ) Loving your other 'Fives'. That kite is amazing. What a lucky sighting! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like the look of your 'sacred bamboo', I think the HWH might need one of those! X

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really enjoying your five for Friday. I wanted to take part but i' m not sure I could commit. I often struggle. I once ran a group on ravelry called project 365 . I thought Id be able to take one picture a day. I realised my photos were not very interesting and sadly gave up. Well done you for hosting this.I for one look forward to your posts. Have a lovely weekend .

    ReplyDelete
  27. How lovely to have a Red Kite! I can kill a house plant just by looking at it by the way.....we should start a club! xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this lot, especially that you caught the red kite on camera. I think you must be making a small container to put "something" in. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely post today, so fun to see things popping up from the ground and the pots.
    Happy Weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  30. How exciting to see the kite! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm rubbish at keeping houseplants alive too. The only plant we have in the house is a Christmas cactus - which flowers whenever it feels like it. Oh, and my poinsettia is still alive from Christmastime. That is a miracle! :oD

    ReplyDelete
  32. You have a lot growing there already. I think nandina berries are toxic to birds so they must learn quickly to keep away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just LOVE all your green & growing things!! They feed my Spring-needing soul. We still have so long to wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I can not get over that your garden is coming through as all I see is snow! And my goodness are your shots beautiful! Loving your little greenhouse as well! And your pots are rocking Amy!!! Wishing you a glorious weekend ahead! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  35. I absolutely love the environment so of course I love this post! I especially love the sacred bamboo... so gorgeous! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    Much love,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  36. When I come down to my home town through Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire it's a pleasure to see the red kites cruising around high up in the sky. Well done for getting some shots which I've never been able to do. Isn't it good to see the Spring bulbs popping up? Like you I'm also enjoying my indoor plants. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  37. We saw Red Kites when taking Rob back to uni the other week. When Mike said look at the Red Kites Harry immediately stuck his head out of window and then complained he couldn't see anyone at all flying 'red kits'!! It's lovely to see the garden waking up again isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely bird pictures Amy, it's far too cold for me to get out into the garden right now, and my fence has blown over so it looks a complete mess, you have so many signs of new life already. Have a great weekend. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have never seen a red kite - we don't have those birds here. Nothing at all blooming outside here...we're still in the thick of a very cold winter. We won't see anything poking out of the ground until late March, at least. Your Christmas cactus looks so healthy with all those little buds on the ends of the leaves. Mine rarely ever flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Those brightly coloured berries are beautiful, Amy, and I'm a bit overwhelmed that you're at the stage (in your part of the world) where snowdrops are blooming and bulbs are sending up bit of green through the earth. I'll be patient. Thank you for mentioning Sunlit Sunday to your friends. I'll see you there soon!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx