Monday, 8 December 2014

Getting ready

Yesterday was getting the Christmas decorations out of the loft day.  Which also meant that it was outside lights day and general clearing up and causing chaos day.

I planned to stay out of the way and keep going at the sewing of felty Christmas decorations that I have been trying to get finished.  So far I have a small pile of cut out pieces, a large pile of pattern pieces and an increasing pile of scraps and leftover pieces.  Nothing is finished.



Furniture was moved around and rearranged.  Then rearranged again and will probably be rearranged some more as well.  I did also discover two bottles of limoncello hiding behind the wine rack.  They have been there since our holiday last year, so it must be high time to get on and drink them!!  I know that it always gets worse before it gets better, but oh how I do wish that I could skip the worse bit.


We have an artificial tree that was new to us two years ago now.  We don't have a real tree as we aren't necessarily always around to tend to a real one and because space is limited we can have a tall thin artificial one and real ones don't come in that shape!  It is all stored away in this crate that is waiting to be opened up.


We have an artificial tree that was new to us two years ago now.  We don't have a real tree as we aren't necessarily always around to tend to a real one and because space is limited we can have a tall thin artificial one and real ones don't come in that shape!  It is all stored away in this crate that is waiting to be opened up.



I have added some artificial flowers around the place to cheer things up and got my Christmas cushions out of the suitcases under the bed where they are stored for the rest of the year (no, I didn't make these!).



The front door is also looking a bit more cheerful and seasonal now.  The pumpkins have been despatched to the green waste bin - they were rather mushy and soft! - and some cheerful coloured twigs added to my planter.  I think that I might get some other seasonal colourful plant to add in another pot too, but that will depend on whether or not I actually get round to it.  My wreath that I made last Christmas has also been hung up again too.  Somehow, despite being stored in darkness in the loft all year the breast of the robin has faded to orange from the red colour that I remember it being.  So he isn't a robin redbreast, he is a robin orange breast!  It goes well with the planter though!!



Hubby has been messing with Christmas lights outside - the mans job in this household.  I just stuck snowflakes on a window instead!!


The guest bedroom is now in a state of chaos with boxes of decorations piled up in amongst gifts that are waiting to be wrapped.  I love this robin, but he is a present, so I can't keep him.  He would have looked nice out by the front door!



Having assessed the bow situation, I think that I am fully stocked, but wrapping paper is lacking so I need to pick up some more.  I thought that I had several rolls, but it seems that hubby someone left just enough to cover the cardboard tube and not a lot else last year.  Also the stash of gift tags that I was sure I had seems to have gone missing too.  I wonder where they can be!  At least I have finished some sewing.  I will show you these again in more detail in a future post.



I have a secret to share with you, well, two actually.  I have boxes and boxes of decorations!  I am trying to be more selective this year though and get rid of some old ones that I don't care for or were bought to fill up the tree many years ago when I didn't have many decorations.  I think after 20 some years they can perhaps move on to a new home.  I also have a plan for some of them which I will explain in a minute.  The other secret is about the fibre optic tree above.  I wanted this tree so much.  When they first came out quite some years ago now, I pestered to get this and really wanted it.  But I don't really like it!!  Eeek!!!  Hubby loves it though.  I tried to lose it some years ago when we moved house, but it followed us here.  I tried to leave it in the loft this year, but it came down.  Hubby has put it in the study window, apparently he likes to see it twinkling there when he drives home.  Fine by me as I won't see it, but if you find a stray fibre optic tree wandering the streets come January you will know where it has come from!!


In the bid to ignore the piles of random things that I found loitering in the hallway - not my doing may I add! - I did get time to take some pictures of my Christmas cactus that I bought earlier in the week.  It is flowering beautifully and I really do love it.  What I didn't love so much was the label.  It was labelled as a seasonal cactus....





The Christmas cards are coming in thick and fast now - well, fairly thick for having only had one week of December so far!  Most of them are from my lovely bloggy pals who took part in the Christmas card swap - that is ya'll of course!! Thank you so very much, your cards are beautiful!


Well, I will keep going with the crafty pursuits and get my sewing finished.  Having spotted the remote control in the above picture at least I now know where that is and don't need to carry on the search for it anymore.


To finish, just a couple more outside pictures.  Above is the results of hubbys efforts with our old artificial Christmas tree.  It was bought in the last century... (really!) and quite a few of the branches are broken - that is why we got a new one a couple of years ago.  Hubby has tied the branches that are all floppy to the other branches to hold them up and cable tied the tree into this pot weighted down with concrete that we still have waiting to be gotten rid of from our efforts with the patio over the summer.  It has lights, and I will add some of the decorations that I don't want any more for our inside tree to make it look festive.  I need to find some wire though as I don't think that the decorations will stay put in the wind unless I wire them on!


The garden furniture has been all wrapped up for winter - well, nearly.  As you can see the cover for the bench has ripped a bit.  I think that we need to get a new cover next year!



Leaves have been raked, but it is too wet to get them out of the borders, so they will have to stay right now.  The garden doesn't look too bad as we have lots of evergreen shrubs, but it isn't a particularly pretty sight either.



That is OK though, we won't be sitting out and the BBQ is all wrapped up too!



Ooops.  I forgot, there were two more pictures to show you in this already incredibly long post!!  I did hang up my cross stitch garland.  You can't really see it here too well, but you can see that it fits here quite well do you think?  It really was far too big for the mantel and we don't have a staircase that would accommodate it, so this will do just fine!  It looks better at night when it is dark outside, but then the photos are rubbish!

Well that really is all folks.  I hope that you lasted all the way through!  I hope you are having fun with your own

Amy

32 comments:

  1. You know I have not even thought of putting Christmas decorations up yet. I'm still trying to finish decorating the stting room ready to put them up for Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Amy, What a great post, looks like your house is getting all festive now!, love all your decorations and trees. Hope you have a nice weekxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure is coming along.
    so much fun.
    Christmas Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Putting up decorations is a lot of work. but it really looks nice! I had the same issue with wrapping paper. It appeared to be quite a good supply, but then there was very little on the tube, so I need to get more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our tree and decorations came down from the loft yesterday and we're all trimmed up now. I wish I was totally organised but I've still got lots of shopping to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy! It's looking very Christmasy at your lovely home! It is a job to decorate and I'm like you, when we were getting ready to put our old house up for sale, I went through Christmas decorations and tried to get rid of some but as I look through them now I see I think I have some more I don't need! :)
    Thanks always for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have enjoyed reading your post, Amy. Your cross stitch garland is looking lovely and I can't wait to see those felt decorations you've made. The Christmas cactus flower is gorgeous - I always love that beautiful shade of pink. Looking forward to seeing your beautifully decorated tree soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. so lovely to see all your decorating in progress. nothing happening here yet except the fairy lights...........

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, very newsy post this morning, so we are all caught up on what you have been up to. Remember those old aluminum trees with the color wheel to make it change color? I thought of that when you talked about your tree. We finally got a lighted artificial tree, and that really makes the decorating go quickly.Love your Christmas cactus. It's an amazing plant, and so pretty at this time of year. Have a special day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cheery post, you have been busy. I love the cross stitch garland and some of those felt ornaments are a real delight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes our house is in that "not too sure where to put all the boxes" state at the moment. Decs are down but not quite ready to trim the tree yet. I normally post my cards on 1st December but as of this minute they haven't even been written yet! Oh well I'm sure it'll all get done in the end :)). P. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. We downsized our decorations a few years ago, but now regretting not having a tree. I told Hubby next year I want to buy a small one. Love those felt pillows and ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are very similar. My guest bedroom too is in chaos and I also have too many decorations, it's because I LOVE Christmas, but I too am trying to be more selective and what I do not put out this year, will not be going back in the loft, she says ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It all looks very seasonal! And, if it's any consolation, a lot more ordered than ours. We managed some outside lights this weekend, but the real test comes next weekend. Can't wait for the usual debate - Where Do We Put The Tree? And we have far too many decorations as well - but some of them are memories it's hard to part with.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it when you write such long posts - it's a bit like reading an article in an interior decorating magazine !!
    Lucky you that your husband puts up the christmas lights outside - here, I'm the electrician in the house... I have the best husband in the world (for me), he only has one weakness : a complete lack of technical knowledge. Hence, I'm the one juggling with timers, remote control thingies, wires, etc., to get our in- & outside christmas lights up & running.
    Love your christmas cushions - and the felty reindeers !! So cute !!

    PS don't be too hasty with getting rid of old christmas decorations... you better have too much stored in the attic, than too little....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your home seems like a warm, busy hub of seasonal preparations. I really miss getting the boxes down from the loft and decorating the tree this year. What a good idea to put the old artificial tree outside in a pot. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's all looking very festive Amy, I too have loads of decorations and I must go through them and throw some out, I also have a white Christmas tree which I loved until I washed it...yes you heard correctly I actually swished the branches in soapy water in the bath, well it was so dusty, it came up a treat and I lay it on towels to dry out then packed it away, when I come to get it out the following year it had turned yellow!! I did try to throw it out but my son rescued it and it went back up into the attic, it's definitely going out this year. I have one of those fibre optic trees too it might join your's out on the streets haha enjoy your preparations, I really must start. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. It definitely looks like you're almost ready for Christmas. I enjoy this phase of it and I enjoy putting it all away in January too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm way behind this year, the house is decorated but the shopping isn't done. Love the idea of you hiding away from all the mess, it's surprising how much it spreads.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm going to put up my decorations this weekend. My daughter is going to be away so it will be a nice surprise when she gets home. I'm not usually too bothered but I'm getting quite excited now seeing all the decorations going up around the village and reading about everyone's online. You must show us when everything is out and decorated. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. So many lovely pictures and you seem quite well organised to me. I've not really started any preparations. I love those cChristmas cushions

    ReplyDelete
  22. We put our tree up yesterday and the whole place looks like a bomb hit it. I really need to put some things away until the decs come down again - there's just not room for it all to be out no matter what some people (ie hubby) might think! :oD

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm feeling very envious of you (and many other people) who have been organised enough to get their decorations up. I really must get on top of the situation for next weekend.
    I got bored of our fibre optic tree too! x

    ReplyDelete
  24. You've been working so hard! The garland looks lovely across the window. The limoncello was a bit of a find wasn't it. Almost as if it was meant to be. I'm laughing about the fibre optic tree. You know it will find it's way back to you somehow, things like that always do. It's nice to have the garden put away for winter isn't it. It's all looking very organised at yours. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful post, Amy, full of Christmas cheer. I love it all! If I lived over there I'd come and steal your Christmas pudding Cushion, and the little metal robin, who is incredibly gorgeous. It is hard to imagine having to cover and put away one's outside things for an entire season. We really do live in a balmy climate in Queensland!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like your ripples! I have not put up the tree yet. I'm waiting to feel inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas at your house. :) I love the Christmas pudding pillow! It's so cute. Have fun decorating. xx Pam

    ReplyDelete
  28. My goodness you are so organized and everything looks so festive. Even the piles in the guest room, we all have those this time of year, you should see my closet, it is packed with presents.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Amy, my house was in a state of chaos but I seem to have finally gotten out some decorations and my tree up! Wow your house is starting to shape up and I'm lloking forward to seeing the rest. I do love your door wreath. Take care and have fun decorating!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  30. We put up our decorations at the weekend. Before we moved we had a good clear out and i am enjoying having fewer decorations around us this year. Your decorations look wonderful and you have just reminded me that I have some window stickers somewhere! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your cushion with the Christmas Pud on is gorgeous, your door wreath is also really pretty. I laughed at your getting rid of some of your old tree decs, I too have some very old decs that really need tossing out - I have this crazy idea that I might try and make some new ones myself for next Christmas - a girl can dream!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gosh you have been busy! You're right about the mess though, it's like a ripple through the house! The cross stitch bunting is looking good xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx