Friday, 19 December 2014

Five on Friday

Today is the third week that I am joining with fellow bloggers to share Five on Friday posts.  A different group of bloggers will be sharing posts each week and you can see at the bottom of this post who else is joining in this week.  Please do go and visit their first Five on Friday posts and leave them a comment.  There is a list of who else has been joining in over the previous weeks on the About Five on Friday page, you can find the link to at the top of my sidebar.

I am really excited about this venture, although I never expected that so many bloggers would want to join in.  So if you would like to join in, please drop me an e-mail and I will get back to you.

********************

According to the "rules" of Five on Friday - such as the are!! - I am supposed to share five things with you.  However, as I made the rules, and as rules are made to be broken, and as it is nearly Christmas, today, I have more of a random miscellany to share with you.  I am working more on the theme of taking five minutes than sharing five things...


The upstairs of the grand staircase at Basildon Park with the lovely swags and bows decorating it.


Noticing this beautiful star shaped light.  I must have walked past this hundreds of times now, but I never took time to really look at it before.  It really is a star at this time of year though.


Some more swags at the top of the "family stairs" at Basildon.  I love the railings on these stairs.



I have been playing with my camera again and in particular using the manual settings for focus and so on.  It is amazing what great effects you can get and this really is just the sort of thing that I wanted to be able to achieve.  I love how these look.  Rest assured though, I will share some in focus pictures next week!


Of course there have been other decorating things going on and I have been playing a bit with the special effects that you can do with photo editing.  Above is a selection of sparkly baubles that are in the kitchen.  The picture was a bit dark, so I lightened it and then added the effect of darkening around the edges.

Below is my new mistletoe decoration.  It is hanging from the light in the hallway so that hubby and I can kiss under it when he gets home from work (sorry, I know, I know, I know!!!!) and again I played with the effect, adding a white fade to the edges of this one.


Some more Basildon things, a decorated Christmas cracker and a view looking down on the top of the massive tree in the staircase hall, an unusual view of a tree.



Finally, the Knitivaty.  This was created some years ago, I believe by a volunteer and has been on display each year in various locations around the house.  This year I see that someone has added some jewels to the Kings.  I am glad that we also have a religious element to the displays in the house.


I hope you enjoyed taking five minutes to look at some pretty pictures!

********************

I am joining in Five on Friday, taking five minutes from our day to enjoy five things.  Please go and visit the other people who are also blogging about Five on Friday this week.

39 comments:

  1. The knitted nativity scene is cute ! And it is a relief that at Basildon Park, they dare to be "historically correct" with their christmas deco... i guess in England you have the same discussions going on about display of religious items (here, many people oppose to it since we're supposed to live in a multicultural society. I agree, but think it's a pity that this implies we should forget our history...)

    And I'm still impressed with Basildon Park's decorations... Would be nice to live there, just for the holidays ;-)))
    Question, did you already have a lot of success with your pretty mistletoe branch ;-) ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Basildon Park is looking amazing, especially the view down from the top of the stairs. I do so love decorations with masses of greenery. Your silver mistletoe is gorgeous, and it looks very pretty hung under the light, it shows up nicely there too. Have a good weekend Amy. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. BP looks lovely decorated for Christmas. The Knitivity is cute, especially the lambs. Have a good day Amy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. what lovely friday things xxx still adore that mistletoe xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of things to like here, thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely collection of festive photos! Sometimes in all the rushing about before Christmas we forget to stop and enjoy the simple things!
    ps - we have mistletoe too - you should always kiss your spouse, and Christmas just means you can kiss them more!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Basildon Park is beautifully dressed for Christmas having a lovely traditional feel to it. Your mistletoe looks lovely hanging in the hallway

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amy so pleased to find your lovely blog! I have really enjoyed reading through your posts and have become your newest follower and am looking forward to seeing more of your creativity!
    I love the photos of Basildon and at Christmas it is so beautifully decorated! thanks for sharing!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! It's good to take the time to stand and stare! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy thanks for the tour of Basildon Park. It is beautiful and I love the tree. The nativity is so nice and I can't believe that it is knitted! I can't wait to join 5 on Friday when things settle down. Have a nice Friday and weekend.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks so beautiful Amy! The shots you captured are all so festive....they have put me right in the spirit I tell you!!! Thank you for hosting!! My post will go up in a bit....have had some sick beans here and one tired mama. Happy day friend! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the photo of the first swag with the giant vine acorn! Lots of pretties at Basildon this year, and you've done a great job capturing it all in photos. Have a great weekend Amy! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely pictures, how amazing Basildon Park looks all decorated for Christmas! Thank you for sharing these lovely festive photos.
    Happy weekend!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. That knitivity is the BEST THING EVER!!! I want one, I want one, maybe Santa will hear me..xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love variations on the nativity as a reminder that Christmas is for all. This is a cute one, for sure. Thanks for the Christmas tour!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the tour! I love that knitted nativity scene! Now I need to look for the pattern. It has to be out there somewhere. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh to have a staircase that I could dress with swags like that. :)
    I shall make do with my crochet baubles and wreath instead!
    Your mistletoe decoration is lovely - and very artistically photographed.
    Have a great weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. It must be fantastic to see the decorations in these lovely big old houses. I love your mistletoe - very nice. The nativity set looks like it has been done from the same pattern as mine. It's amazing how many different variations there are of it depending on who has knit it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything looks just gorgeous! I really like that star light. The knitivity is great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the photo looking down on the tree. Basildon Park looks fabulous all decked up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely festive photos, Amy - I love both sets of swags on the staircase at Basildon Park. Love the experimental photos too:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Don't ever apologise for kissing your hubby under the mistletoe, I think it's lovely. More people should! You know I love your mistletoe- in fact, ever since you showed it a few weeks back I have been keeping my eyes open for one.
    Love the photos, the star light is lovely and just perfect for this time of year, but my all time favourite has to be the knitivity- it's by far my absolute favourite nativity scene of all time. Aren't people great? Brilliant! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely thing to be thankful for.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely photos! I particularly like the star lamp and you're quite right, you wouldn't look twice during most of the year but it looks very special at this time of the year xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. For a moment I thought the swags were on your own staircase! Wouldn't you love a bannister like that to decorate? And it's lovely to have something religious around. I love the German weinachts pyramids that go round with candle light.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Basildon Park is alight with joy and cheer! What a gorgeous tree! Your nativity scene, hand crafted with such care, is sweet, as are all your festive, felt Christmas tree decorations - TOO cute!!

    Merry Christmas, Amy!

    xx
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing these lovely pics, Basildon looks so wonderfully festive and I love the little knitted nativity scene! Happy weekend, xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. It all looks so very festive. Love your new mistletoe decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What fabulous decorations both at Basildon Park and in your home. I almost missed this Five on Friday post... I am so behind on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful, beautiful, always beautiful. I have to say you Amy dear, always enjoyed your posts and beautiful pictures! Have a nice and Merry Christmas with all yours:)))
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the Pesebre (you will lovw this word) we say psebre where is the Mom, Dad, the little and the kings, so beautiful Is the more important here at home.
    Yesterday the kids dressed the tree they still love make that :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such beautifully festive pictures Amy and I love the blurred effect that you have managed to achieve with your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful! And I like the camera effects :) I want to visit Basildon Park one day it looks marvellous xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the angle of the tree photo at Basildon Park, and the knitted nativity. Lovely Christmas cheer here!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have enjoyed looking at your pretty, festive photos, Amy. Thanks for sharing them.x

    ReplyDelete
  36. We call that type of star light a "Moravian" star. Do you have a name for it?

    Love the knitted knitivity. Someone really took their time to make it so perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx