Friday, 5 December 2014

Five on Friday

Today is the first time that I am joining with fellow bloggers to share Five on Friday posts.  A different group of bloggers will be sharing posts each week and you can see at the bottom of this post who else is joining in this week.  Please do go and visit their first Five on Friday posts and leave them a comment.  There is a list of who else will be joining in over the coming weeks on the About Five on Friday page, you can find the link to at the top of my sidebar.

I am really excited about this venture, although I never expected that so many bloggers would want to join in.  As there are so many of us we are going to do posts each week in December and then we might change the format in January.  So if you would like to join in, please drop me an e-mail and I will get back to you.

********************

Before I start my post today I also wanted to say thank you so much for your lovely comments about all that I have been up to lately.  You are all so kind and supportive in all that you have to say and I hope that I do tell you that, but I wanted to make a special mention!  You are all so much appreciated and I find it hard to put my appreciation into words because I find it a bit overwhelming, but the appreciation really is there.  Thank you a thousand times!

Welcome also to new visitors and readers and commenters, you are all so very welcome and it is lovely to hear from you and to know that you are there.  Thank you for stopping by!

On Wednesday I posted about a trip to Bruges that we had some years ago.  I hope that no one thinks that it was meant badly or that it has put anyone off visiting Bruges.  It really is a beautiful and wonderful place that I loved visiting - it was the snowy journey that was the tricky part!!  That said other journeys on the train have been really good, so don't let that put you off either.

********************

When I was thinking about my posts in December it seemed like a good idea to have a theme, and what better at this time of year than Christmas of course!

Anyone who knows me, knows that I love Christmas.  I have been collecting Christmas decorations for nearly 25 years now.  Many are treasured gifts, there are others that we have bought as souvenirs from our various travels, or from the travels of family members bought back as gifts.  There are so many memories attached to them in different ways.

This week I would like to share with you five new Christmas decorations that I treated myself to with some present money from earlier in the year.  These will become treasured in coming years just as my other decorations are.  I chose them because they had a vintage feel and also because they are (mostly) glass which means that they are more precious to me than something plastic or throwaway.  There is nothing wrong with plastic decorations and indeed I have some that are treasured, such as the Santa I showed in the posts for the Christmas Card Swap which is my oldest decoration.  I wanted these new decorations to be special though and I think that these are.


There seems to be a wonderful selection of blown glass ornaments in the department stores this year, and these two really spoke to me.  I like the glitteryness and the shapes as well as the mercury glass effect.



These two are very special!  The one above is from Liberty and I really love it.  It is all glass and the back is glittered too so it is lovely from all sides.  I like the unusual shape too, having a mix of shapes adds more texture and dimension to the tree I think.

The mistletoe is made of pewter and was bought at a craft fair.  It is the most expensive decoration that I have ever bought, but it will be with me forever I am sure.  I don't think that I will hang it on the tree, I think that perhaps it needs to go somewhere suitable for kissing under!  Perhaps from the light in the hallway - what do you think!!


This decoration is hubbys choice.  He loves cars of all sorts and this was just too cute to pass up.  We actually have several car and vehicle ornaments now, definitely more than your average tree I reckon, but I don't mind they are all pretty and sparkly and have special memories for one reason or another and that is the most important thing isn't it!


Five lovely new ornaments to be added to the tree in the coming weeks.  We usually wait until the two weekends before Christmas to put up the tree, but the weather has been so very grey that we might just sneak things up a bit earlier this year...  we will have to see what happens.  Watch this space!

********************

I am joining in Five on Friday, taking five minutes from our day to enjoy five things.  Please go and visit the other people who are also blogging about Five on Friday this week.  Although I have included Leanne on the list, she hasn't posted today as she has got other things going on in her life right now, but please do stop by her blog and leave her a comment with your best wishes, and hopefully she will be able to rejoin us again next year.


Amy

50 comments:

  1. Such gorgeous decorations ! I especially like the pewter mistletoe - I would have bought that as well, no matter what the price !!
    Last weekend in London, I also admired the christmas section at Liberty. But oh so expensive... It struck me that glass deco costs a lot more in England than here.. (Or maybe my view is biaised, and it's just London that is expensive..)
    But anyway, that pewter mistletoe... In the hallway ! Every house needs its mistletoe at christmas - and people do too ;-)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well three out of six blogs with posts can't be bad and yours was one. Like the decorations, none from the park then

    ReplyDelete
  3. These christmas decorations are so beautiful ..... Thanks for sharing them with us ! Have a lovely day !

    http://woolandcats.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful five, your ornaments are a delight. I love unpacking my decorations and remembering the stories/event/place/people behind them. Love the mistletoe ornament perfect for kissing loved ones under.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful ornaments. I especially love the mistletoe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy! What a wonderful selection of Xmas ornaments! I love glass ornaments, they remind me of my childhood! :) They are all very pretty!
    Have a good day!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful decorations! Yes, the mistletoe should be hung somewhere for maximum kissing!! I sometimes look at beautifully dressed, co-ordinated trees and think if only mine looked like that ....... but then I think no, I would rather have our motley collection of decorations that we have collected over the years, and have so many memories of Christmas past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new decorations are lovely, I especially love the one from Liberty. I notice that is a mini with the tree on top. Both hubby and daughter have had one in years gone by. Lovely post and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Amy

    What beautiful and stunning Christmas decorations that hold so many precious memories.
    The Liberty decoration is beautiful. Your mistletoe decoration may have been expensive but it's beautiful
    and well worth it.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ornaments we use on our Christmas trees become treasured memories for our children who eagerly look forward to seeing them each year.
    I still vividly remember many of the items on my parents tree, and wish that I had some of them now. My father would bring in the tree from the garden on Christmas Eve and we would all join in decorating it - I couldn't possibly leave decorating the tree that late myself, but as young children I remember it felt like a bit of Christmas magic before going upstairs to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely decorations, so pretty and delicate, have a great weekend and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely decorations. I love the decorations we have that hold memories for us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely decorations Amy, I add to my collection each year too! Off to see the other Five on Friday posts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful decorations Amy, I especially love the mistletoe. A great idea to collect a few really special things each year. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all of your glass ornaments friend!! They are outstanding!!! Like you I don't feel you can ever have too much vintage and these are just so pretty!! My little bean boy would love that car!!! Wishing you a splendid day and now I am off to visit... Thanks for hosting this link up!!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. They're all beautiful but I think the Liberty one is my favourite. I'm sure they'll all be treasured for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just stopping by with a hug and a wave, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like glass ornaments too because they're so delicate and old-fashioned looking. The first decorations I ever bought was a set of pewter decorations of birds through the mail. They're still my favourites! I like the mistletoe you have, and I think you can come up with a better kissing place than under the hall light ;) My family has actually banned me from purchasing any more Christmas ornaments!! The nerve. Happy Friday Amy, and thanks for hosting Five on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. (first comment disappeared ... will try again) Thanks for hosting this Five on Friday Amy! I love glass ornaments too because they're so delicate and old-fashioned looking. The first ornaments I ever bought was a set of pewter birds through a mail order. They're still my favourites. My family has now banned me from buying any more decorations (I do have quite a few!). I think you can come up with a better kissing spot than under the hall light ;) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have ALWAYS loved mercury glass. I have a little mercury glass owl.

    The mistletoe ornament is adorable. I think you need to hang it by itself too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pretty pretty pretty! I do love when things have a back story to them,and thanks for sharing these stories. I'm trying to figure out how long those beautiful baubles would last here...with fourteen cats taking a very keen interest!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the pewter mistletoe and would have been tempted by that myself :o) Put it up somewhere where you can see and enjoy it- it's lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. lovely, and they all sparkle and shimmer!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful; and how apt that the mistletoe is pewter and will never lose all its berries. You know what they say, "When all the mistletoe berries are gone, the love leaves the home!" I'm glad that the love that makes your home will never leave it.


    Grief, that was almost poetic. I'm off for a lie down in a darkened room until the poesy leaves me!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How nice to pick up some new decorations. We did that last year as we were on an open house tour. It was fun, and I like the ones you have selected. Have a great day, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. They are really beautiful ornaments. I love the vintage look. Would love to join in any blog sharing in January too x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those ornaments are great additions to your collection! I especially love the car ornament. Well done on getting the Five on Friday blog event organized. I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your ornaments, good choice for your 5. I think I've got the label on my blog right, hope so, I did warn you that I wasn't very good at this.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful ornaments Amy, my favourite is the diamond shaped one, there is something special about Christmas ornaments isn't there, I try to buy a new one each year but nothing has taken my fancy just yet, I love making them too, have a great weekend. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. My mama would be in hog heaven as we say in the South. Her favorite ornaments were her crystal ones. The little car looks like a Radko??? (don't know how to spell it) They are all beautiful. I hope that I can join next Friday. What a few treasure you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  31. They are all SO pretty, but I especially love the one with the vintage Santa! So charming. I love how Christmas ornaments can be so special and bring back great memories. My kids love going through each one each year and remembering everything about them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your five ornaments and the five on Friday idea! Wishing you a nice evening and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That Liberty ornament is quite wonderful, all five are special but that one is fabulous! Personally I'm in denial about Christmas this year, so I guess it's good it's not my turn to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely decorations, Amy. I definitely agree that you need to put the mistletoe in a good kissing place! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely decorations Amy. The Liberty one and the mistletoe, especially. Thanks for hosting Five on Friday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. They are very special and beautiful Christmas ornaments, definitely to be treasured!
    Wishing you a lovely and cosy weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a lovely sweet post :) I think my favourite is the mistletoe :) Happy weekend Amy,
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love your gorgeous ornaments. I will be joining up after Christmas, I can't wait.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love that misteltoe decoration so much it's stunning
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Amy,

    I love all your precious ornaments - each one is so very special and will look great on the tree.
    Yes, the misteltoe will need to be where you can sneak in that kiss.
    Have a lovely weekend and thanks for sharing the links.
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your ornaments are beautiful!! I can see I may just need to bump up my collection!! Thanks for organizing the five on Friday, lots to read ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Such very pretty tree ornaments. We've done the same here, adding to (and, with the inevitable breakages, sometimes losing from) the collection over the years. So much more interesting than those carefully coordinated trees, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  43. They're beautiful. I do love mercury glass and that mistletoe one's lovely too. I may start collecting ornaments for Joe - that car one would be perfect x

    ReplyDelete
  44. Lovely decorations, Amy - I particularly like the lozenge shaped one from Liberty and the mistletoe one is wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Lovely decorations Amy, I particularky like the mistletoe. :))

    ReplyDelete
  46. Those are lovely decorations, I really like the mistletoe one.

    ReplyDelete
  47. What gorgeous decorations! It's so nice bringing out lovely memories each year :) I think the mistletoe would be perfect in the hall! xx

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love all five of your new decorations, it would be hard to choose just one of them!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  49. Such pretty decorations. I keep thinking I'd like to start collecting some old-fashioned coloured ornaments and will start to look out for some after seeing these. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx