Last year, before Christmas I bought a number of felt Christmas decoration kits. They were meant to be glued together by children. I thought that I would "upcycle" them though with embroidery where they had printed "stitches" and by sewing them together so that they would last longer.
Gosh, was that ever a bad bad bad idea!! The felt that they were made of was stiffened to the hardness of concrete it seemed, so sewing them was hard work! I didn't get them finished before last Christmas. In fact, I think that I had a grand total of three out of 9 actually done! You can see the needle that I used to make all of them here. Look at how bent it has become from forcing through the felt!!!
Due to the decree of hubby - more on that tomorrow! - I had to get these finished and it really needed to be before Christmas so that I could actually use them - they aren't much use in March are they!
So after a lot of sewing and stitching they are all done!! Unfortunately, after all that work, and much like my Cross Stitch Bunting, I don't actually have anywhere to put them - oops!! I really need to plan better in future.
For now they are stuck onto the stair banister to add some colour and decoration to our hallway. Not perhaps the best place for them, but I wanted to display them after all the work that they took. I was thinking that they might make nice Christmas card "toppers" so perhaps I will turn them into cards after Christmas - and then I will be ahead for next year!!
What I will take away from this is only buy things to make something if you have a plan for the finished item and know where it will go!! Also, don't think that you can sew together things that are meant to be glued together, it isn't necessarily that easy...