Thursday, 11 December 2014

Christmas at Basildon Park 2014

There has been an outbreak of Christmas Extravaganza at Basildon Park this Christmas.  One of our house stewards has taken control and planned and planned and worked so very hard and produced absolutely wonderful results.  Assisted by the house team and crafting makes from volunteers the house looks more wonderful than ever before.

Of course there are photographs to share and I hope that you will enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed being in the house.  The visitors seem to love it and we are glad to have them.


There is much to see on the walk from the ticket office in the stable yard to the house, but I am afraid that I don't have photos.  If you are close by though you might like to visit as there are some amazing little elf houses to look out for which are really magical.

As you arrive at the house though you are greeted by this wonderful sight of wreaths and trees.



Then as you come into the entrance hall there is this amazing tree with golden ornaments and beautiful lights adorning it.



There are wonderful flower arrangements all over the house that look truly spectacular - far better in real life than in my pictures!




Then into the Sutherland Room.  I don't normally take pictures in here, but I have snuck a few close ups of this wonderful wreath and the arrangement on the table below it.



 
The library looks magnificent with this wreath and swag adorning the bookcase.  The red walls set the colours off so beautifully don't they.  A little secret about the walls - Lady Iliffe painted over the red paint with stout - a sort of dark beer - to give the walls a sheen.  It gives a great effect, but makes touching up any blemishes on the walls very difficult!!


The two large paintings here are by artist Charles De La Fosse and have just come back from having extensive conservation work and cleaning as they are off the Palace of Versailles for an exhibition next year - very exciting!  I wish that I got to go with the paintings!!



Then we go on to the staircase hall.  There are swags going up the staircase and arrangements over the tops of all of the doors.



Of course there is also a magnificent Christmas tree as well.  You can just see the rocking horse peeping out from the right hand side of the tree and our giant teddy too!  He looks very at home doesn't he.




The next room is the dining room and this really is the centrepiece of the decorations this year I think.  The blinds are being kept down so that you get a real sense of the wintery coldness, but gosh it does make the room incredibly cold too!!



It is so magical and cold and snowy looking, really icy in fact.  These centrepieces were created by the house stewards and are amazing aren't they.  We have had lots of visitors trying to work out how they were made and vowing to recreate them at home.



Of course there has been crafting too and you can see just some of the snowball pompoms that have been made by staff and volunteers from all over the property.  Mine are the messy ones!!




The decorations in the octagon room are fairly sedate this year, so I am just sharing this beautiful flower arrangement above with you.


The green drawing room has some wonderful floral arrangements, and I love the glittered balls that have been added in with the flowers.  Many of these beautiful flowers in this room and others are actually very expensive artificial flowers that were gifted to us by the TV production company after the filming of Downton Abbey.  They are very impressive and far better than the kinds of flowers that we can buy on the high street.




 The last room on my little tour around is the kitchen.  We always have some sort of seasonal arrangement on display in the Kenwood Chef (an English version of a kitchen aid).  The arrangements in the kitchen are fairly low key as we still have some volunteers cooking seasonal treats in here and they don't really want to be hampered with decorations.  There are some great 1950's and 1960's paper decorations though and a lovely white tree!





Downstairs in the lower hall is this swag arrangement and then a final tree in the garden room.  That is the end of the tour for this year!


Thank you for all of your kind comments over the last year about Basildon Park.  You know of course that I love the house and love to work there, but really all I do is take pictures and tell you stories.  It is the house that is wonderful!  I am very thankful that Basildon Park allow me to share so much with you.

Amy

38 comments:

  1. How very beautiful! The floral arrangements are superb and I love the kitchen arrangement in the old mixer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy! It all looks very festive! I've lost count of how many Xmas Trees there were! What a lot of work has gone into it!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Amy
    I really enjoyed the tour with the beautiful Christmas decorations. Thank you for sharing.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous. Such beautiful floral arrangements and perfectly dressed trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it looks so fab, I love all the use of colours in the different rooms, and the library with the swag was really lovelyxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic, Amy. As I scrolled down I thought each picture was my favourite, then there is another I love better! Everything is gorgeous, the sparkling trees, and wonderful floral arrangements. The kitchen has just the right touch of retro simplicity. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow Amy !!!
    Your post proves what I've been saying for long : England is the place where they know best how to decorate for christmas !!
    It must be a real treat nowadays for you, to go to work !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Amy ! How enjoy when you share with us these beautiful pictures.
    Is absolutely magical.Al look georgeous and beautiful.
    Thanks by share with us dear Amy!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. A real feast for the eyes, the Christmas tour was magical, a real delight. The trees and floral displays were truly amazing. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy, I really think that you should invite all your blog friends for Christmas at Basildon. Could you imagine how fabulous a Bloggers house party would be?!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! The decorators have outdone themselves. What a lovely place to be and enjoy the season. I love that one Victorian arrangement in front of the golden mirror. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The decorations are amazing, and I just love all the little trees with their bauble decorations. The greenery over the doorways is a wonderful touch. The dining room is beautiful, and I can just imagine everyone coming in for their Christmas meal. Thanks for the tour Amy, how nice to be able to work in such a gorgeous well-preserved home. Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing Amy. It looks wonderful, and so many Christmas trees - I think that's my favourite part!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Amy! Basildon is absolutely gorgoues dressed up for Christmas. I love the trees and the old fashioned look of them. Oh to see it in person would be gorgeous! Thanks always for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is all so beautiful Amy! Such grandeur. The trees, garlands, flower arrangements etc. are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing Christmas at Basildon Park with us. It would be so wonderful to see in person and you are so lucky to work in such a place. Have a great day! Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - truly wonderful decorations. I'm sure it took days to plan and days to put them all up too! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my giddy aunt, I want to live there. Thank you for sharing however, it has made me want to go out and buy some new decorations as mine look so sad in comparison. Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - it is just gorgeous! I can't imagine how much time goes into this, but it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh what a beautiful place to work or visit. The kitchen is the only room I can really relate to, every where else is just a bit post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks amazing Amy, that you for sharing the photo's :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic! So beautiful. I bet you pinch yourself every time you go to work there. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Amy

    Basilon Park at it's most perfect, I love the deep red walls of the library and the swags look so beautiful hanging there. The house must have been magnificient when occupied especially at Christmas time.

    Thank you for sharing your stunning photos.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an enormous amount of work it must have taken to reach such amazing standards of decoration. Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved it here when we visited in September but I'd love to see it now it's all dressed and ready for Christmas. Lovely post :)) P x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Basildon park look so lovely bedecked with Christmas decorations. It's so nice that we can experience Christmas in these wonderful homes too. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  26. What fabulous work. I can well imagine the thought and preparation that went into each beautifully decorated room. Thank you so much for sharing Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh my goodness, those are some of the most beautiful Christmas decorations ever x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous decorations. Thanks for sharing the tip about the stout. Don't think we'll try it here, though. Might be tempted to lick the walls!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love it, it looks so festive and Christmassy. Especially love the garland/swag over the book cases and that large tree with the teddy bear and rocking horse, oh and the centre table piece, oh and.....

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my goodness it looks amazing, but I bet even better in person. I love that hanging wreath.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yep recognise all the places, I do need to go back for a few photos

    ReplyDelete
  33. I missed this post - the NT have done a wonderful job of decorating Basildon Park for Christmas, I wish I had time to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh thank you for sharing the decorated house with us! It was stunning and a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures! It's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this post. Thank you for sharing these stunning photographs x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx