Thursday, 18 December 2014

Cath Kidston Felt Christmas Tree Decorations

For Christmas I asked Father Christmas if I could have a wool winder.  I also asked - apparently although I don't actually remember asking this!! - if I could have some more yarn. 

It seems though that Father Christmas wasn't happy with this and he had a word with hubby about my requests.

So hubby has decreed that I cannot have a wool winder for Christmas as it is a tool and you don't get tools for Christmas.  I cannot have any yarn either apparently because I have got too much "crafting stuff" that I haven't finished...  Now, I would of course dispute this, but my protestations fell on deaf ears.  Finish some stuff up was the message coming through loud and clear.

You will have seen the decorations that I finished yesterday, so that is a big tick off on my list of things to get done.  Another thing that I had was this Cath Kidston book, which came with all the supplies to make 12 felt Christmas Tree Decorations.  This had been a gift either last Christmas or the year before - don't tell anyone I can't remember which Christmas...


As with the decorations I showed you yesterday I really needed to get these done because again, not much use in March!

These were hard work let me tell you.  They took the best part of a week of concentrated hand sewing.  First of all you have to copy all of the patterns from the book.  They you have to cut out the patterns, then trace them onto the sheets of felt as per the diagram in the book - that way you can cut out all of the pieces from the sheets of felt and I couldn't risk buying more felt could I!  Then of course you cut out the pieces of felt and then you can start sewing.  I didn't count the pieces, but there must have been over 100 I reckon.


You can see above one of the diagrams showing you were to place the pieces before cutting and below is the diagram for just one item - the angel - and some of these need to be cut out more than once of course.


Once everything was cut out and sorted out for each ornament I could begin the sewing - hurrah!!  The pictures of the ornaments in the book looked a little scruffy in places to me - hark at me!  So I wanted to make mine as neat and tidy as possible.  It was quite hard to do as some of the pieces are very small indeed, but I think that I managed to get them put together quite nicely for the most part.


You can see what I mean about the stitching with the picture of the angel from the book.

Then of course the dilemma of where to put them reared its ugly head again.  I decided to crochet them together into a sort of garland which I then hung across the top of our new picture.  They might not stay in this format - because apart from anything else I forgot to crochet one of them to the garland!!  However, they are made and in use and that is the important thing.


Just a quick review of this book in case you are thinking of buying it.  I really like the designs, the way that the book explains how to make each item - great for beginners especially.  However, trying to cut the pieces out of the very small sheets of felt was a challenge, and it would certainly be hard for a child to do.  Also, cutting out the endless pattern pieces from the book and then again in felt was a chore.


I hope that my angel is more neatly stitched!


On balance though, if you are not making these in a hurry before Christmas as I was I think that you would enjoy making them.  You might want to buy some more felt though so that you can cut out one decoration at a time and not be surrounded by tiny ears and hooves and the like which was quite tricky.  I don't think that I would buy another book like this, but then I am a sucker for these things, and if it was a gift I would definitely make the items.



Here is the garland that I made - and our new picture all hung up too!  In a way they don't show up too well, but I like the bright colours of the ornaments with the bright colours of the picture.



Below I have added the ornament that I forgot originally - the small parcel on the far right side!  Just so that it didn't feel left out!!


I have one more post to show you with some other things that I have made and therefore finished up.  I hope that Father Christmas is now happier with me and that he will tick all of these items off of the unfinished things list and I might be a little closer to getting a wool winder in the new year.

Better go now and get on with my ripple blanket that is still outstanding...

Amy

44 comments:

  1. Can I point out a wool winder is not a tool in the sense of a tool its an enabeler, its designed to enable you to use your wool stsh,, it is also good for your health and improves your circulation all that turning of the handles is good cardio vascular excersise helping to keep your heart healthy and improving upper body strength. I do think Father Christmas should reconsider you definatly need the wool winder. :-)
    I love your little felt ornaments and you have done a much neater job than the ones in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your angel definitely looks neater and better than the one in the boom. Actually you've done a really great job hand sewing them all - they look fab. I especially love the sweet little parcel, and the angel of course! I think I'd enjoy the sewing in projects like these but I'd probably just make one or two. Cutting out all those small felt pieces will probably do my head in! So very well done for persevering and making the whole set! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love these felt decorations. Cath Kidston designs are always pretty, but I can see how fiddly they would be to make. You have done a great job with them Amy, and a stroke of brilliance to string them together in that way. Love your David Hockney picture. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your decorations although they do look a bit fiddly to make. They look lovely strung up as a garland too :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute - but I don't think I'd have the patience to make them!
    They look very pretty as a garland. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cath Kidston lives just across the valley from me, and did you know that she is Kirstie Allsop's cousin?
    You really are very busy being creative, they look lovely made into a garland.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy I love them all and that is something I would love to make. I must get that book. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh those are really cute! You are quite talented! They look great as a garland. I do love all things Cath Kidston.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're not allowed to get tools for Christmas? And you're not allowed any more crafting stuff because you haven't used the stuff you already have? Crumbs, it's a good thing that doesn't happen in my house! :oD

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great Amy. I think FC should get you the wool winder... :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you don't get a wool winder, I'll be sad. Good job, getting those little CK ornaments done! They are so sweet and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a sewer ,patterns look like blueprints of space rockets..I'll leave it to your capable (very sore) hands.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, they really are adorable, and only you could make them into something really interesting as a Christmas decoration. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know....I think the reward should be a wool winder and some YARN...:) Lovely ornaments and I love how you created a garland out of them. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amy, these are really sweet. You have been so busy making such lovely crafts. A lot of tedious work! But, so very worth it. I do hope you get your wool winder in the new year. xx Pam

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE THAT!!!! Each one has a personality all its own and strung up like that it is all so magical!!! Now I need to find a book like that so I can make some! Happy day dear buddy! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous, I love them, definitely worth all the fiddly bits. I love how you've got them displayed too. Hope you manage to get the wool winder.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm afraid Father Christmas may be waiting for me to finish a few projects too! These turned out so nice, but what a lot of work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The felt decorations turned out beautifully! I don't think I would ever have the patience to finish them. I would have got stuck at the stage where you have to cut the pattern pieces out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have read all your recent posts and I think that after all this hard work you deserve a wool winder. You have worked very hard and finished loads of things. I think you should write to santa this very minute .
    Amy, you have been busy I love the robin and the Christmas pudding. Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow Amy you have more patience than me, they have all turned out so lovely and I agree with Dawn about the wool winder it really is a must. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute, cute, cute garland. I love the little bird.

    Tell Santa that a wool winder is NOT a tool. It's a knitting AID! Therefore, would be PERFECT for Christmas!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gosh Amy how many hours do you have in a day ?? More than me, that is for sure... Or, other explanation, you know how to work at an extremely high pace !!
    Those CK ornaments are really cute - don't know if I would find the patience to make them though.. When I read your description of all the little cut felt pieces...

    And a message to Santa : tssss, tsss, not nice to team up with Amy's hubby ! If Amy has a wool winder on her wishlist, it is not up to the hubby to decide she cannot have it ! She has been a good girl all year, she deserves her wool winder !

    ReplyDelete
  24. It sounds all too labour-intensive but the end result is fabulous, well done for sticking with it, they're sooo cute!
    Love that you've made them into a garland. And, I hope Santa sees the progress you're making and rethinks his first stance! 😉 Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous, and the work of quite a few hours I imagine. Do you have a favourite? I'm rather taken with the pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  26. They are very nice, but I think I would have lost my rag if I'd had to cut out all those small pieces. Well Done to you for sticking with it and getting them finished, they look lovely as a garland. x

    ReplyDelete
  27. The garland is fantastic, it will be a Holiday keepsake for years and years. By the way I believe Hubby deserves a big lump of coal in his socking this year. He should not be able to decide if you you need a wool wider (which you do) or more yarn. As far as I am concerned he never needs another tool.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are lovely - I especially like the snowman. You did such a beautiful job on them. I'm about to start playing around with felt myself to make one of those dratted mug hugs - I hope it turns out as beautifully as these. x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amy - you did an amazing job on those ornaments! Your handwork is gorgeous. What an heirloom to hand down thru the family. Beautiful work!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amy they are beautiful! Well done on being so dedicated, it looks like it was a bit of a faff, but your hard work paid off as they are stunning. I have also requested a wool winder for Christmas as my husband is sick of being my wool winder! I think to the end that he won't have to wind any more balls by hand, I may be getting mine :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your garland turned out wonderful, Amy! All the hard work surely paid off - it looks so bright and pretty against your beautiful painting! Well done! As for getting the yarn winder - I always ask for gift cards - the generic ones....then you can get your own yarn winder and hide it! he he. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  32. Well done on that pretty garland, which looks like a lorra lorra work!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your garland is just lovely Amy! Those ornaments are adorable!! I love the homespun look of them and especially with those bright colors. I think it was really clever to make them a garland. I bet each year you could find lots of fun places to hang it.

    Great job Girlie!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. A lot of work, but oh so cute Amy. My favourite is the red reindeer and all together to form a garland they look very nice hanging in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Excellent work Amy.....
    I have 2 words for your hubby....
    But....
    Because I am a lady....I will bite my tongue....
    Hahaha!
    Enjoy the upcoming weekend!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congrats on the lovely ornament finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Utterly adorable.
    Wonderful job.
    So bright and Christmas happy!
    Warm Woolie Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  38. Loved these adorable decorations, Amy! You have been busy and they look wonderful!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oooh, they are so cute!!!!!!!!! I love felt ornaments. There's just something so comfortable and festive about them at the same time. And, because we have hardwood floors that have eaten more than a few ornaments over the years, they bounce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Οh, so very beautiful! Congrats and well done on this festive,hand made garland Amy!
    Happy, magical Christmas to you and your family!
    Love, Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  41. Amy, Your ornaments are just darling! I love how you displayed them as a garland!

    ReplyDelete
  42. How can I nit have known of this book! Please remind me next year! Your garland is fab :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  43. ps a wool winder most definitely falls into the "toy" bracket, perfect for a gift from FC :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx