Wednesday, 24 December 2014

And then there was cake!

You won't remember way back when I was soaking fruit for Christmas Cake baking I'm sure, but I was.  After all the soaking, the cakes were baked and wrapped up and fed some more brandy before being stored away in their tin.  One cake was kept here with us and the other was given away. 


Due to tricky circumstances in various ways we are having some different kinds of Christmas Day's in our family and then having what my family are now calling ChrisBox on Boxing Day - that is what the day after Christmas Day is called in England.  The other cake went to be part of ChrisBox.  Although none of our Christmas Days in our family are going to be what we had planned for the good thing about ChrisBox is that we can prolong the celebrations.


Anyway, two dinners, two present openings, two different days, but our home cake still needed to be decorated.  So yesterday I set about it.  That is to say I set about the job in hand, not  that I set about hitting the cake with a baseball bat!  I had marzipanned the cake last week and left it to dry a little before the icing was applied.  I had no idea what design I was going to go for with the decorating though.  I also could have done without the doorbell ringing halfway through the several hours it took to finish.  I could see the postman was at the door, not some double glazing saleschild so I had to answer it.  That just added to the trickiness of it.

So, here we have it.  Christmas Cake! 


I used fondant icing which I covered the whole cake with.  Then I applied several snowflakes in different sizes, cut out using cookie cutters and stuck on with dabs of vodka - it acts as a glue and then evaporates. 


After a fruitless search through my cake making boxes for some suitable decorations I remembered the tin with the birthday candles in and thought there might be something in there.  Finding two snowmen and three trees has never been so thrilling!  (I didn't make the snowmen, they were bought some years ago!)  It seemed sensible to go with a snow theme.  White icing, snowflakes, snowmen.  You know how it is!  The snowballs cover up the blemishes, especially the multitude around the base.  I have no idea how, despite my very best efforts, the base of the cake where it meets the board could look so much like something had chewed it, but it did!  The snowballs that took an age to make covered it all up though very nicely!


The expert cake decorators among you will spot the errors a mile off I am sure, but for us it looks pretty good and considering that I had no plans and was inspired by the contents of a box of candles it isn't too shabby is it!!  The cake will taste good - please let it taste good! - and that is the important bit.  If you want to see a wonderful cake, go and take a look at Gina's!


Well, that is me for now.  I have quick Happy Christmas message planned for tomorrow and my Five on Friday post will appear on ChrisBox - remember, the day after Christmas, otherwise known as Boxing Day! - and then that is me done for the year.  I have been and will be reading posts, but probably not commenting again until January, but I will be there!



It has been great blogging along with you all this year and I look forward to more of the same in 2015.  Thank you all so much for your visits, kind messages, support and comments.  I hope that you know that you are so greatly appreciated, but just in case you didn't pick up on that, you are, appreciated that is!!  You know I love blogging and I love Christmas and I love you all too! 

Happy Christmas and best wishes for a wonderful New Year to you all!! 

I hope that whatever Christmas Day brings for you it will be good and that you will have an enjoyable and relaxing day and that 2015 will be a great year for you!


Amy

50 comments:

  1. Lovely cake, you did a great job. Merry Christmas to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember to allow a bit of time for yourself and try to relax. With best wishes for 2015 and I hope it is a better year for all of you. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake is a work of art, I love it! Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely message Amy! Happy Christmas! Claire xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. nadolig llawen to you and yours and enjoy your chrisbox day, the cake looks brilliant and I am sure it will taste delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you a very Happy Christmas Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake looks fabulous Amy! And I'm sure it'll taste delicious too xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful cake - you did a great job on the decorating. Have a wonderful Christmas Amy and thank you for visiting and commenting this past year. It has been lovely getting to know you. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please take some photos when you cut the pretty cake. Merry Christmas, Amy❤️!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy, your cake is a sight to see, and I'll bet it is delicious. Thanks for the lovely comment to us, your blogger friends. Merry Christmas to you and your!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy your cake is gorgeous! I would never attempt a fruit cake let alone one with marzipan on it. It's a work of art to me! Have a wonderful Christmas with your loved ones and best wishes for the new year. Blessings and hugs. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is lovely, Amy - love the snow theme and the snowmen. I have little snowmen for my cake too which reminds me I still have to put the icing on - did the marzipan last week. Take care and enjoy yourself. Happy Christmas and New Year:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous cake!!! Amy, I haven't had a chance to visit anyone lately, but I wanted to come in real quick and wish you and your family, a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas to you Amy. I hope you have a lovely time....thank you for all your kind comments this year.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas and what a lovely cake!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a very handsome cake, Amy, well done. Happy Christmas and I hope you have a lovely day tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cake is fantastic, Amy!! You are incredibly talented. Merry Christmas to you and your family. I hope you have a wonderful celebration together!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your decorating puts mine to shame - I just wrapped a ribbon around the bit at the bottom that was all wonky!
    Have a great time and I hope there is time to relax and enjoy the occasion. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's a great looking cake, Amy. I'd love to have this on the dinner table tomorrow!...
    It's been lovely connecting with you through blogging. Thanks for your visits to mine and for all your kind comments. Have a wonderful Christmas! See you on 2015!
    ps. I've already written my post for Friday, so fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I love that cake! Merry Christmas Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is one beautiful cake Amy! I am ashamed to admit that I just wrapped mine in marzipan and icing, no decorations whatsoever. Have a wonderful Christmas! x

    ReplyDelete
  22. The cake is awesome, Amy! Share a photo once you cut it too! Merry Christmas with love.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an amazing cake - it is so beautiful! and I'm sure it is going be delicious. This is the first year in quite some time I haven't made one and now seeing yours I'm quite regretting my laziness!!
    Have a wonderful Christmas. (We're popping over to Italy - it's only a 15 minute drive but it feels so different to here)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amy - that cake is just amazing! I'm tempted to ask you to save me a bit. Have a wonderful Christmas and may everything good come to you and your family in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks really good! We don't like Christmas cake so never have one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. P.S. Happy Christmas, I hope you have a lovely time, tomorrow and ChrisBox!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's a beautiful cake! You did great.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Merry Chtistmas Amy to you and your family! Your cake is fantastic, I could never do anything like that, it's a shame you have to cut into it but I bet it tastes wonderful !! All your beautiful handmade ornaments have been lovely to see in your past posts. Life changes and so do Christmas's but as long as people get together and find some happiness together it's all good!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The cake is lovely! Hope you have a peaceful xmas Amyxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. You've done a great job, it's fabulous. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cake looks wonderful and no doubt will taste good too! However much you worry Christmas cake always seems to come up trumps!! Wishing you a very Happy and Peaceful Christmas X

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness that cake is amazing. I am so impressed. Merry Christmas my friend.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your cake looks amazing! Have a wonderful Christmas! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your cake is a amazing Amy!
    Thank you so much for dropping by my blog, I hope you have a very Happy Christmas!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Absolutely gorgeous Amy and a very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  36. That cake is stunning-well done! Enjoy your Christmas celebrations xxx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Brilliant Amy! That cake looks fantastic, I am in awe!! Have a wonderful Christmas and Boxing Day and a very Happy New Year xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Such a beautiful cake, made with love. Merry Christmas Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love your cake, Amy!!
    Have fun eating it!! ;)
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your cake is gorgeous - and after all the love, care and attention it has had I am sure that it will taste fabulous. I have only just finished icing my Christmas cake so went for the simple look this year as now I am too tired to care! haha! Have a wonderful Christmas - Lorna xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the cake! Happy Chrisbox and a merry New Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  42. You've done a brilliant job on that cake, it's wonderful. I'm wishing you a very wonderful and happy Christmas too. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your cake is a masterpiece! Love it and I'm sure it tastes every bit as good as it looks!
    Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  44. wishing you a very merry Christmas and Chrisbox and all best wishes for a happy 2015 xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  45. Beautiful!!! That is some lovely work. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  46. That looks fabulous! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh Amy your cake doesn't look just "pretty good", like you say, but it looks perfect !!!
    I showed your pictures to The Hubby, his reaction : " sooo pretty and so typically English"..., and then he sighed and got that melancholical look in his eyes (we used to have a house in England..).
    I rarely get my Hubby to sigh with the sight of food :-))) !
    I wish you and your family Merry Christmas, and happy cake-eating ;-) !!

    ReplyDelete
  48. You're so clever to have made such a beautiful cake, Amy, Merry Christmas to you and Merry Boxing Day too!
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  49. What a wonderful cake... So beautifully decorated.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh, Amy!!! Brava!!! It is beautiful! I am not much good at cake decorating, but I do love to eat it. ;) Just wonderful! *hugs* :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx