Tuesday, 25 November 2014

A bit of this and a bit of that.....

The weather is grey and wet again and I have the end of a cold - just the horrid itchy sore throat left.  I need to get some itchy cough medicine to clear it up I think.  My tour guiding is cancelled, as croaking tour guides are not an attractive prospect are they!!



So I have been staying inside and putting away the autumn decorations so that we have a rest before the Christmas things come out to play.  It all looks a bit bare now though, so once I have dusted I will rearrange a few things to make it a bit more cheery again.


As the first Sunday of Advent is this weekend, I have been thinking what I want to do for my Advent candles and having a bit of a play around.  So far I am very dissatisfied!  This arrangement is not going to cut it by any means.  I will keep playing around, I am sure to come up with something that will work.


Hubby chose this poster from the Museum of Fine Art when we went to Boston earlier in the year.  We had been to see the David Hockney exhibition, A Bigger Picture, when it was in London a couple of years ago, but there were no large pictures or posters for sale.  It was a lovely exhibition so this is a great memento of that and our holiday.  It has been for a very expensive visit to the picture framers and it is waiting to be hung on the wall - the cloth is a table runner just there to protect picture and wall for now!


A bit of crafting fiddling around has been done, but with mixed results.  These trees are wonky, even wonkier under the dome and the photo is terrible too!  This definitely needs more work!!


You may remember if you are a crocheting blogger that Nordic Shawls were all the rage earlier in the year.  I think that I started mine in about February, but I am only just on the border now.  It is OK, but I am not totally happy with some of my stitching.  I will like it when it is done though I am sure and I am looking forward to wearing it.  Nearly there now!  Hopefully the ta dah moment will include pictures that are actually in focus too...


I have also been watching television Christmas movies in the afternoons while I haven't been feeling myself.  I haven't started on the Christmas DVD's yet, although you can see they have gathered ready and waiting to be watched. 


You might remember that I posted a little bit ago that things were not going so well and that is why I took a little bloggy break.  I wanted to update you as I have had some kind e-mails making enquiries as to how things are now.  There isn't any real change, but things are no worse which given the situation is good news and there are some minor improvements.  I guess that the real change has been in coming to terms with things and being better able to cope with what is going on. 
 
My default when stressed is to get crafting, so I have been doing that in the meantime and I will be able to share the results with you in December as it is mostly Christmas related - apart from my shawl. 
 
Thank you so much for your kindness and continued support.  I really do appreciate it and thank you so much as I know that many of you have your own challenges to face too.  My hope is that people can support each other though, all around the world.
 
I also wanted to say that I have been totally overwhelmed - emotionally and with e-mails! - by all of you wanting to join in the Five on Friday and I have still got people getting in touch asking if they can join in.  The first 20 that replied and I have already agreed how we are going to do the posts in December, but given the level of interest, I really think that come January I will have to change up the plans to include more of you.  Please can you bear with me, this doesn't mean that I don't want you - because I do! - it is just that I wasn't expecting such an amazing response.  Your level of interest really has far exceeded even my wildest dreams and I need to get to grips with it. 

We are set up right now for December to post in groups on Fridays - and I will do my last solo Five on Friday post this week.  After that I think that I need either set up some sort of button that we can all add to our sidebars/posts or a link party.  If I haven't replied to you about this and you want to join in, please can you send me another e-mail as I am worried in case I have lost any.  I will make a list and come back to you either in December or in early January with details of how we are going to go forward.  My e-mail address is (no spaces) love made my home at gmail dot com. 

For those already taking part - you know who you are - there is no change for now!  I will send you an e-mail in the next few days. 

Thank you all so very much for your interest in this, I really do appreciate it, I just need chance to catch up!

Also, I posted the details of who is swapping with who in the Christmas Card Swap yesterday.  Please make sure that you check the post to see who you are swapping with and get in touch with your fellow blogger(s).  It is going to be a lot of fun to see all the different cards that are sent and received!!  I hope you are looking forward to it as much as I am.

Well, that was a lot of this and that wasn't it!  Not much to catch up on, but in other ways lots.  Thank you for stopping by and I hope that you are all well.

Amy

35 comments:

  1. I love Christmas movies! And was yhinking in make some cookies to try new recipes! Here is cloudy but maybe come the sun.
    Is spring.im happy with swap christmas cards.
    This weekend I want to find my christmas card to send:)
    For first time in years I have my candles for Advent and I was thinking is this weekend.
    Lots of love and hugs and thanks Amy:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a cold too Amy, I thought it had gone away but it came back last night with a vengeance! I love autumnal gardens, I love everything a bit damp and leafy and orange...lovely to have a little breather before the crazy of Christmas comes flooding into our lives (I do love it though!), I think I'm going to wait until the 6th to do decorating, I probably won't last that long and will be up in the attic grabbing all the boxes down this weekend!! :o) Hope you feel better soon, can't wait to see that Nordic Shawl xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy, Hope you feel better soonx, I love Christmas movies, already watched 3 and counting! Take carexx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy! Sorry you have been suffering from a cold - hope you will be on the mend now!!!
    Hope you can manage with all the extra excitement you have created, will be nice to see your new Five on Friday spot! And good luck to everybody taking part in the Xmas card swap! (Sorry for not joining in, but I've got too many other commitments right now!)
    Sounds like you been busy, looking forward to seeing some of your recent makes! :)
    Keep your head up! We are all just a (blog) post away!
    Hugs!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I've only seen four of those Christmas films that you've got there, I love the National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation though, very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you feel better soon, Amy. I really like the David Hockney poster, it's so colorful and it will really brighten up any room you hang it in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like wonky. Cute Christmas trees. I sure don't see any dust on that mantel. If you want to see dust, come here. You could write your name in just about anything you see. Ha! :) Gosh, you have a lot of Christmas movies. Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. A lot of folks around here have been passing around colds and such, though I am beginning to wonder, for those who don't seem to get over it, perhaps they have some sort of allergy. Our weather is all over the place right now. Take care, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the little trees, I think I might have a go at something similar.
    Oh, and thank you for the Christmas film ideas. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your throat is soon completely better. Your shawl is looking very lovely - i didn't start a Nordic shawl. My husband and I usually buy a picture/painting of some sort when we're on holiday. This year we bought 5 - then had to get them all framed and find somewhere to hang them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you're feeling better soon Amy, but in the meantime stick close to that sofa and have a little well earned relaxation. The David Hockney picture is great, especially as it's got such good memories attached for you. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get well soon !!
    We're all looking forward to see the christmas things you have been crafting :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope your throat gets better soon. I love watching Christmas movies, I have Christmas 24 on all day during November/December.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lot of Christmas films! I've seen Love Actually a long long time ago, and Home Alone of course, but haven't seen any of the others! I don't watch many films! Hope you feel better very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can take comfort from the fact that your garden looks very neat for the time of year Amy (ours is a mess!). Glad to hear you feel you're coping OK with stuff- sometimes it just takes a while for things to settle down. Thinking of you my dear x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whenever someonne mentions having an cold and a scratchy throat, I always recommend this - Ribena made with hot water, with a large spoonful of honey stirred in ...... soothing and comforting, and just the thing to sip when curled up on the couch watching DVDs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the last three films on the right! It sounds like you are ready to begin the Christmas season, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Amy hope you feel better soon, colds are so rotten. Really looking forward to seeing all the fruits of your five on friday labours :) those xmas trees are adorable, and I'm also looking forward to the Nordic Shawl reveal :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. You just keep those germs to yourself...I don't want them!
    Still thinking about my Five on Friday...hope I don;t get kicked out if they aren't 'up to snuff'!!
    Feel better soon.
    Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do hope you soon feel better and and I'll send an email now that I have your address, as for some unknown reason I couldn't get one up for you on your profile. I'm with you that in times of stress I like to craft or garden, so it can be productive. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Holiday my favourite alway watch thay or love actually on Christmas eve each year, hope you feel better soon
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. hope the horrid sore throat is better soon, glad to see we're not the only ones with a Christmas DVD collection. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope your throat is better soon! It would be nice to do some crafting while watching some Christmassy movies :) I'm still stuck in paint, paint, paint! I just want to stop and knit, but I dare not. I saw a really nice advent candle idea on "Handmade and Off-Centered" yesterday ... right up your alley with crocheted embellishments. I can wait for the Christmas decorating until the kitchen stuff is out of the living room ... and the bedroom ... and the family room ... and the basement ... ugh. Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope your scratchy throat goes away quickly, Amy. Please don't pass it my way - I'm singing in a concert on Friday and I need to keep healthy until that's done!

    I see "The Holiday" in your pile of DVDs. I *love* that film. I want to live in the wee cottage in the snowy countryside ... and the big house in Calfornia too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Amy, I'm sorry you've been feeling ill with the cold. So far it's avoided us but we're bound to catch up with it. Hubby usually brings it home from work just as kids do from school. :) I really like the David Hockney print you had framed. It's beautiful. You have a nice selection of Christmas DVD's. I don't see Elf there though. :) It's a favourite of ours. Kind of silly but fun. Take care. Hugs. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Amy...
    Hope you are better....your yard looks like mine....but yours has more leaves!
    100 km winds yesterday sure blew everything around!
    Enjoy your week...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Christmas movies are a tradition we also keep in family! Love the colorful yarns of your crochet project, hope you will show it us soon! I'm sure you feel better now dear Amy!
    Wish you a nice day!
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Amy,

    Hope you are feeling better soon; just got over long, lingering cold, myself, and it can really zap one's energy levels. Looking forward to your Advent candle creation!

    Happy Wednesday!

    xx
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really like your David Hockney poster. The colours are fantastic. Framing it must have cost a lot but it's worth it! Your little Christmas trees are nice too. Wishing you a happy Wednesday! x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Too bad that you are not feeling well, Amy. My daughter is suffering from a terrible chest cold right now, too. Tis the season, I guess! I hope you are feeling better soon. You have quite a collection of movies to keep you busy! We always watch Lampoon's Christmas Vacation every year with the family. One year, my son Gabe showed up on Christmas day in a black 'Dickie' - we had a good laugh and took lots of photos that year. I love your little Christmas trees and your pretty colored shawl. I know you have been going through difficulties and coming to terms with things the way they are is sometimes hard to get to. We can't change life's circumstances, but we can learn to live alongside them somehow. I am interested to see the link party you are hosting. Hope you rest and recover. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love Christmas movies so much! You have two of my absolute favourites there....The Holiday and Love Actually.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the David Hockney picture.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sending lots of virtual honey and lemon through cyberspace and wishing they could arrive as the real thing to soothe your sore throat. It is good to read that things are on the improve for you, no matter how slightly. Wishing you steady improvement and many happy moments to nurture your spirit. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your cute Xmas trees...it doesn't matter if they're a bit wonky....real Xmas trees are a bit wonky!! Also love the poster and can't wait to see your shawl when it's completed. Hope your tickly throat is better soon. X

    ReplyDelete
  34. Things may not be so different, but you sound more relaxed somehow, perhaps being forced to stop by that cold did some good? Although the comment you left on my blog in the early hours has me hoping you're getting enough sleep!

    You are being organised, with all these link ups and swaps. I struggle to commit to things while the aged P's shenanigans are keeping me so much on my toes ... my mother's latest achievement was to faceplant the pavement last week, while out without her stick, resulting in her first ever ambulance ride ... she almost seemed to enjoy that in spite of all the blood! I do hope life is being kind to you and yours Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a lot of Christmas movies! I always like to watch"love Actually" in December. It always makes me feel Christmassy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx