Monday, 13 October 2014

Just me?

Nursing home in the countryside.  Lady needs to see outside for a "walk" so that she is reminded that there is a life worth trying to get better for.  Lady is helped into wheelchair, wrapped up in coat, hat, blanket etc etc.  An escape is effected out of nursing home (once the keypad on the door has been negotiated).  It is raining, but only lightly.  Lady in wheelchair is given umbrella to keep her dry.  Lady has a lovely "walk" and goes back in with a bit of a smile.

Person pushing wheelchair.  Pushed wheelchair along on slippery leaves and negotiated gates while pushing wheelchair.  Wheelchair is very low, so person pushing has to keep stooping down.  Person pushing wheelchair is wearing high heeled boots and has no coat on.  Route chosen is seemingly uphill.  There and back.  How can that be.  The ground is all level because it is a nursing home.......  Lady in wheelchair has no idea that she is banging umbrella into the forehead of stooped over person pushing wheelchair.  A third person is walking alongside the wheelchair and tries to hold another umbrella over person pushing wheelchair, while talking to the lady in the wheelchair.  Third person also has no idea that she is banging umbrella into the side of the head of the person pushing the wheelchair.  Third person is happy that lady has been outside.

Person pushing wheelchair returns to nursing home with head that has been bashed in the forehead and side by two different umbrellas, has backache from stooping over to push wheelchair, exhausted from steering on slippery leaves and pushing uphill all the way - or so it seemed.  Person did manage to remember the different code to get back into the nursing home though.  Why it is a different one to get in.  Person has no idea, surely if they have escaped out no one is going to prevented from escaping back in?

Lady needs to be returned to her room.  Person pushing wheelchair inserts lady in wheelchair in lift, doors close.  No room to turn or breathe.  Person pushing has to reverse out of lift.  Thanks to audience of nurses who appear out of nowhere person manages to steer wheelchair into door frame.  Person has to effect 200 point turn to get wheelchair heading in right direction while nurses look on.  Person then has to remember way back to ladies room, as nursing home has miraculously turned into rabbit warren and all corridors look the same.

Person pushing wheelchair  is now exhausted and roasting hot.  Person pushing is sure that nursing home is heated to 1000 degrees.

Person pushing wheelchair is happy too though because lady has been outside and managed to hold an umbrella (sort of).

Guess who was pushing the wheelchair and now has a dent in the side of her head where the umbrella held by the able bodied third person hit her.........

Lady says she has never read Winnie the Pooh and asks person pushing wheelchair to read it to her on next visit.  Person now has to ransack house to find copy of Winnie the Pooh.  Person hopes that she doesn't sustain any book related injuries because she had no idea she would sustain an umbrella related injury.....

Amy

p.s. the leaves were being cleared and were only in places where residents don't walk on their own so it was safe, it was only slippy because person pushing wheelchair chose to go that way.

p.p.s. person is more than happy to do anything to try and cheer lady up and get her well again so that she can go home as lady doesn't like being in a nursing home and doesn't want to have to stay there.

51 comments:

  1. Maybe Person's back & head are still aching, I'm sure Person has a warm heart today :-). And Lady is a happy lady today !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh darling the things we must do.....keep on doing them, just take a nice thick hat next time but remember to remove it inside so you don't melt. This made me smile. Hug :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I'm sorry that person got bumped and bruised, but I know she feels good about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are human and we laugh in the face of adversity, lovely post, made me smile (a lot).
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on this, Amy....nursing homes are very depressing, and just getting someone outside can be rewarding for the pusher and the pushee in the wheelchair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless you Amy,person pushing wheelchair has made lady's day more bearable, I hope the dent in the head is not too painful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have noticed that too, how can it be that it is uphill all the way when pushing a wheelchair? When I suggested getting my elderly mum a wheel chair I thought it would be like pushing a supermarket trolley or a baby buggy. Good for you anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I took my mum out of her care home to vote in the referendum so I know what you went through. The person pushing her wheelchair was astounded at the unevenness of the pavements and how high the kerbs were. I'm glad it wasn't raining that day or I'd probably have dents in my head from brollies too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really don't understand why wheelchairs are so blumming awkward, why cant they be like a childs buggy which can manoeuvre easily. Care home wheelchairs ALWAYS have under-inflated tyres which is why straight paths feel like you are pushing them up the hill in the Hovis advert. Coat with hood NEVER anti-rain weapon. Good on you for doing this but do watch yourself. I'm sure the lady loved it but your back is valuable too.
    Ps not sure why I am giving a concussed person any advice....lol...!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so lovely Amy, and have a double dose of nice karma heading your way I'm sure :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. That all sounds quite stressful, but what's the expression, if you don't laugh you'll cry? Bless you for doing that, I'm sure the recipient of your love appreciated it. :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good on you for fin ding humour in that situation! I am sure the'lady' appreciated it and probably made her feel heaps better. Look after yourself. I enjoyed the yucca post as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwwww...what a sweetie you are Amy♥️
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pusher needs a large glass of wine.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Amy, you are a dear! I have been that person pushing the wheelchair.....my heart goes out to you and your loved one. It takes such bravery, and yes, a good sense of humor to survive. Wrapping my arms around you. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. How kind you are Amy, I am sure Lady really appreciated getting outside for some fresh air. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. You get extra Brownie Points if you sustain injuries xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful! You are a real treasure Amy. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are such a lovely lady Amy, hope your head is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like Person was very tolerant. I'm sure the lady much appreciated the chance to take a walk outdoors and will be very much looking forward to Person's next visit to bring a bit of cheer to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, what an ordeal, but I'm sure it was worth it. Hope you find that book for the next visit and that lady hasn't changed her mind about it. Bless you and take care Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You did a very kind thing taking the lady out. I'm sure she really appreciated it and is looking forward to having Winnie the Pooh read to her.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sure she thoroughly enjoyed the time outside. And I hope you aren't too bashed and tired. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my, top marks for the wheelchair pusher. I found the hospital wheelchairs quite dramatic recently, the big ones aren't very easy to push, all the hospital workers tell you to pull them. There are about twenty sets of double doors in the mile and a half of corridor you are required to negotiate, and none of them are automatic. And all of them are heavy fire doors. The hospital is also heated to 1000 degrees. Well done you though, the lady in the wheelchair is doubtless all the happier for having been outside. I do hope she is able to go home soon. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely kind and thoughtful person!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Poor you but well done for keeping your cool mentally through all that. I hate the heat in homes and hospitals-so dry and hot and overwhelming. I hope your next visit will be much better.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like to think that what goes around comes around and you'll be rewarded for your efforts, but I can tell that you already feel well rewarded by the smile on the Lady's face. A small thing can make all the difference to someone when they can't do it for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sorry found this so funny read it out to my husband. It was lovely of you to do it. book reading next visit can only give you a dry throat.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amy you are a star, I can imagine how wonderful it must of been for the lady to get out in the fresh air. I remember 'escaping' out of the hospital with my dad. Pushing the wheelchair, negotiating the lifts but it was worth it to see him perk up. He hated being on a ward with 'old people'. He was 87 :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this post and can relate as I've pushed my own mother and mother-in-law about the nursing homes they lived in. As I read it I thought about how I'd feel if I was the person in the chair. I think I'd be so happy to be outside in the fresh air and enjoying the leaves and I'd probably be wondering where my camera is to I might take photos. I'd be asking the pusher to bring me my camera on their next visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Person is an angel... that's all I know! xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, Amy - I hope the Person has got over her aches and pains. I'm sure the Lady was happy to have been outside for a while, the reading of Winnie the Pooh sounds a safer bet for next time though:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Person pushing wheelchair is a saint. Period. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for popping over and visiting my blog.
    I hope the person pushing the wheelchair has recovered from her experience and has found the Winnie the Pooh book ready for the next visit.. I'm sure the lady is happy she got out for a "walk"

    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  35. No, not just you. I took Dad out in his second-hand wheelchair with no brakes on a warm day ... handles became quite slippery in my sweaty palms!! I can SO relate to this :) Keep smiling my friend and thank goodness it wasn't chucking down with rain. I hope you have recovered and also found Winnie. By the time you find the book, she'll have forgotten all about requesting it I'm sure ;) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Person with dents in the side of her head (and obvious blisters from uphill climb with wheelchair) is a Saint! To give lady a memory to enjoy while she is in the nursing home is priceless! Good luck with Winnie the Pooh, don't let lady get ideas of going to a bridge over a river to toss dangerous sticks over the top!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh, Amy...you are truly a dear! Lady is blessed to have Person in her life! I have so enjoyed catching back up with you today. We just had out-of-town company leave, and things are returning to normal. *sigh* And Winnie the Pooh...oh, yes! Everyone should know Winnie the Pooh! *hugs* :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. You're clearly an angel in pain Amy! I was wheezing after helping my mum into the car the other week and proceeded to slam the car door on my index finger. Luckily, inferior Kia door seals saved me from a fracture. I feel your pain. xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh Amy! Despite what you are going though you are able to see the humour too. All my thoughts and warmest speediest wishes being sent to your lady and you. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  40. Bless you, Amy. You did a kind and thoughtful (and selfless) deed. It's not always easy and lovely to help, but you were sweet and willing. I hope you're recovered now.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hahahhaa...Amy I love this. So funny, so true, so well explained how two different people experience the same occasion entirely differently. You made me laugh into my morning cuppa! xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. That's lovely that you took the time to do that. I like how you wrote this, hope your umbrella head is better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Nice post Amy. I love the umbrellas and the fact that 'person' was wearing high heel boots. I'm sure that 'Lady' will have appreciated the effort, even if it wasn't spoken..... xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. (((( giant hugs and lots of love to you)))))
    What a big heart. I too hope you find Pooh.
    I so love him :)
    Woolie Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  45. I can see your next trip involving a bag packed with Winnie the Pooh, protective head gear, a back brace, sports drinks ...

    But good for you. We are really struggling to keep my mother in law in her own home at the moment. I know how tough these times are.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm sure you were SO appreciated, and it's such a lovely and selfless thing to do, despite the dents in the head and the aching back! Take care, Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  47. Bless your heart, and your forehead too.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  48. I was an activity director for 12 years. I can absolutely see this in my mind. So true. LOL. Yelp! 1000 degrees in there! I almost through my daddy out of his wheelchair because he was so determined that I push forward over the cracks in the sidewalk instead of turning and backing out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx