Sunday, 5 October 2014

Autumn gardening

Gardening is never done, no matter what time of year it seems.  We have been busy outside again today, catching up on jobs, carrying on with operation patio and gradually getting a few things done.


Although we have not had or are due to get any frosts yet as it has still been so warm, it is getting cooler now and will only continue to do so now that October is here.  I decided that it was time to move my Pelargoniums (Geraniums) into the little greenhouse that I had already erected ready and waiting.  I have decided to leave the door up for now so it is as if they are outside, but there is a little bit more protection if the weather does change and I don't realise, and if I do know that a frost is due, I can easily just pop out and let the door down and zip it closed. 

As you can see they are still busy flowering away and looking really good. 

When putting the little greenhouse together that it seemed a little flimsy so I have cable tied (zip tie) the shelves to the frame to make it more stable and I have also tied it to the wire mesh that supports the grapevine.  It should stay put!  Just to try and be sure though I have put all but one of the pots on the bottom shelf and as they are terracotta, I am hoping they will weight it down!


There is autumn colour appearing in the chrysanthemums that I bought, but over things like the begonias that I grew for the first time this year are finishing.  Hopefully I can keep the corms of the begonias from these plants and grow then again next year.



Other tidying up has been done too.  The umbrellas have been gathered up ready to be put away and I have taken the ornaments out of the pots and put them in the shed for now.  I have a large plastic trunk that I store all the garden things in over the winter, but it is still full of the cover for the table and chairs at the moment, so I need to do a swap over at some point.

The lavender has kept on flowering all summer and still had flowers on it when I cut it back.  It had to be done though as it needs to be kept trimmed to keep it in good shape, and really it should have been done earlier, but I left it because the bees were still visiting the flowers.  While I was trimming it there were some very confused bees flying around looking for the flowers, so I felt rather bad for them, but this way there will be a lot more blooms for them next year.



Bulbs have been planted, and this year I made sure to label them.  Not just so that I know the name of the variety, but so that I don't accuse daffodils of not flowering when they are in fact alliums as I did this spring!  Although I have copped out slightly by just not buying any alliums this year.



The rhubarb bed was cleared of any straggling stems - the one on the left - and I planted a row of tulips along one side and a row of mixed narcissus on the other side for a bit of spring colour, the bulbs won't interfere with the rhubarb and the flowers and leaves will have died down before the rhubarb gets big. 

In the other bed on the right I planted some more tulips.  This bed has become a catch all for all kinds of things, there are ranunculi and anemones that Leanne gave me earlier in the year, a stray fuchsia and an odd cyclamen for some reason.  Not exactly a well thought out planting scheme, but it is nice to have somewhere to put these things that come into a gardeners life!

It was also time for the wildflower bed to be cut down.  All the plants had gone brown and I gave them a good shake in the hope that any seeds would fall down into the soil to grow again next year.  There are a few odd biannuals coming up I noticed, so that is why I haven't cut the wildflowers all the way down as I didn't want to disturb the other plants coming up, and I am sure they will die down naturally over the winter.



Hubby has been busy working more on operation patio by starting the next stage which is to replace the old path with some of the slabs left over from the patio.  We want to totally change where the path goes and how it is laid out, so the old one has to go.  Although for some reason part way through it was necessary to stop and rake up the leaves!



The old path is made up of a combination of what were originally white - now dirty grey - and pink slabs that were laid alternately.  Not really our style at all, and it definitely doesn't go with the new patio arrangement.  We have a plan though - as always! - some of the slabs have been used to make this hard standing area around the compost bins and will also make a space for hubby to use his workbench to saw wood and so on.  The compost bins are still stood on the soil though.  Other slabs have been laid around the back of our garden shed.  It is a long work in progress again, but it will get done!


The Rowan tree - which some of you will know as Mountain Ash, they are the same thing though - is changing colour, but I noticed that most all of the berries had already been eaten by the birds.  The berries are a real favourite, but at least the birds done eat the colourful leaves.



A last look at the flowers that are still going, or in the case of the primula below, starting early!



The grapes are really black and as ripe as they are going to be now.  Unfortunately they taste as bitter and hard and nasty as ever so we will not be eating them.  Eventually when the leaves fall off the blackbirds will eat them though, so that is OK by me.


I do love flowers and indeed this bunch of chrysanthemums that I bought over 2 weeks ago is still looking lovely and it doesn't seem as if the flowers will be done anytime soon.

The most exciting thing though is that the yucca in the front garden is actually flowering!!!  This is the first time since we planted it 9 or 10 years ago.  I am so pleased with it and hope that now it is off it will keep flowering every year.  My other potted yucca that I showed you last year here didn't flower this year - it doesn't bloom every year - so I am really happy to see this one blooming.





Although the Rowan berries are almost all gone, there are still lots of other things around for the birds to snack on before they get started on the grapes!


Well that is all for this rather long little round up of what is happening in the garden this week, there is a lot more still to do, but as I started by saying, a gardeners work is never done, and I am happy with that!

Amy

41 comments:

  1. It looks like you're getting a lot done. I really like that little greenhouse. I've never seen one of those before, but what a great idea. It's really cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a lovely garden, it sounds like a lot of work to keep it so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos and post ! I do like that little green house soo cute ! The sun came out this morning but it was chilly I was able to get outside and got busy tidying up the gardens to , I brought my Geraniums in as I do every year and they are still in bloom , I like having them bloom through the colder months makes a bit more bearable here ! So true a gardeners work is never done or fully panned either as I am already planning next years gardens lol Thanks for sharing have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. gardens are so much hard work, but well worth it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are beautifully organised. I have lots to do here before winter. I was interested to see the beautiful yucca flower - the neighbours opposite have one that I see every day, now I know what it is! I probably need to cut down the lavender at the allotment as well, it also has flowers on that I've been leaving for the bees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There seems to be a lot of berries on plants this year,more than usual. As migrating flocks pass through, the branches get stripped. A juvenile raccoon is stripping the grapes this year...he's welcome to them,they're horrid.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been really busy! Yes, gardening is a lot of work but it sure brings a lot of joy too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really impressed with your garden Amy, you seem so organised and knowledgeable. I love the little greenhouse. I'd love to get something like that but although we are in a dip the wind is fierce at times and I've had to go and pick up the rose pot that landed head down with the last breeze. The yucca and grapes look fabulous just a pity they taste like soor plooms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes its that time of year to get plants under protection better to do it now there is nothing worse than getting up in the morning and finding it all hit by the first unexpected frost. I want to get the insulation up in the greenhouse so I can start moving plants in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The yucca flower is fabulous and you still have some colour in your garden Amy. I think I'd better bring in my geraniums as I don't think it'll be too long before we get a frost here. The low was 4C (39F) last night. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been so busy Amy! I have never seen yucca flowers before, they look very exotic. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been in the same quandary about clipping the lavender and still haven't because there are so many flowers. A must do for this week I guess.
    The yucca is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. After seeing all of the work you've done in your garden, I can see how far behind I am in tending to mine! Thanks for a nudge in the right direction.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of work in the garden in the fall that's for sure! Your garden still looks really nice. I love your little greenhouse, what a great idea. Your new pathway will look really nice

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been doing the same Amy but I must say your garden has a lot more colour left in it than mine. I have had so many of those little greenhouses but they always get blown away no matter how much I tie them down I have given up on them now it was costing me so much. I would love to have a real greenhouse but don't have the room. It's always feel bad about cutting the lavender when there are still so many flowers on it but like you say it has to be done, I still have to plant up my bulbs but there's still plenty of time, have a great week. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks like you are getting ready for Winter. We had a high of 78 degrees today, our first coolish day since last Spring. I am loving the drop in humidity, I almost had to put on a sweater this evening, but not quite.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have a very nice and interesting garden Amy. The yucca flower is amazing! I'll have to encourage my geraniums to look as pretty as your collection. They are a bit on the lazy side. I love the red berries, the grapes and all your flowers. You have been working hard... Happy Autumn xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had to cut my garden 3 weeks earlier than I wanted and as I read through your clean up I was doing that -
    "did I do that? did I take in?? or I think I left a few posts out that will crack when they freeze". Sometimes it is hard to remember everything there is to do. I so like your little greenhosue and is will add a little extra to protect in the event you forget on a cold night. What a wonderful blooming Yucca, that is a long time to wait for it to flower but then it might of had to be an adult plant. It looks like you have a lot of gardening done already. Our grapes were same tasting then I started cutting the leaves off so they would get more sun and ripen earlier and it worked. Have a great week ahead, we are sitting in the RV and the rain is pouring down around us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are on the East Coast of Lincolnshire and as such have a lot of winds coming in off the North sea, we have to pack our little greenhouse away otherwise we would find it in the field next door. Your garden is looking good, we have almost packed everything away and trimmed most things back. We haven't done the lavender back yet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - you've been busy. I'm part way through cutting everything back, but it's slow progress here. I suspect that the rain and the arrival of Autumn is gong to slow things down even further too. Oh well - my garden the never ending WIP! Enjoy your week. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Goodness you are very organised - it is always sad to dismantle the garden ready for winter but you still have lots going on and plenty of colour. I have been planting bulbs like crazy - hopefully we will both get a lovely display come spring.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gosh, you have been busy, I wish our garden had received as much attention. At least I've bought packs of spring bulbs. Just need to get round to planting them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for your kind words about the hoover Amy, makes me feel less slovenly. Wow you have been busy, all I've done is cut grass and hedges. Need to get my bulbs in soon. Your yucca is a picture and look at your cotoneaster, you've obviously got green fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You're very organised, I've still got loads to do, and that includes the allotment as well as the garden. It's funny how some flowers are blooming early this year, I've got a cowslip in flower already as well as some primroses.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your garden looks so tidy and organized. You are right the work never ends, outside or inside for that matter.;) Your flowers all look lovely, liking the color of the chrysanthemums. I have geraniums that are still flowering and even a new sunflower!! Its this crazy weather I think... Have yet to plant bulbs, hope its not to late. Is it?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Amy
    Lots of work going on in your garden! Your yucca photos in particular are lovely
    Have a good week.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely after lots of hard work to sit back and admire, its all looking very tidy and so nice to have the flowers still. xcx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved your garden tour! It's a lot of work to get the gardens ready for winter, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have been busy, Amy and your garden is looking ready for the next season. We have been doing more or less the same things as you over the last few days but rain has stopped play for the moment:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I had no idea yuccas flowered! That is rather exciting. I always enjoy the garden tidying that happens at this time of year, it seems to say to me that autumn is well and truly here. x

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are miles ahead of me on preparing for the autumn/winter. I need to cut back plants this week, and hopefully get my bulbs in the ground. I was shocked to read that a Rowan tree is the same as a Mountain Ash. I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good Afternoon Amy, My word, you have been a busy bee.... your garden is all ready for the colder weather. I really must follow your advice and cut my lavender flowers.... I have left it a little late I know, but I have had so many bees visiting the plants that I feel awful about cutting the flowers..... but as you say it needs to be done.
    It is lovely to see a flowering yucca here in England, as I think this is the first I have seen.... the flowers are pretty fabulous aren't they.
    It is lovely to meet you Amy. I have enjoyed my visit so I have become your 200th follower.... a nice round number.
    Enjoy your day today.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  33. I do envy you your lavender, I have tried so hard to grow it here, but it just doesn't thrive. Your grapes look luscious. We're still cleaning out weeds, bulbs soon I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like your fat birds and the pear! Your garden is wonderful! Look at you go!

    ReplyDelete
  35. We are so messy from moving the chooks I'm too ashamed to let anyone see my garden! yours looks so organised x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Amy, you have made a fantastic start putting the garden to bed, I too made a reluctant start-so sad to wave goodbye to the parasol and bunting. Not a bulb bought or planted yet though. Hey good idea to label them.
    Have a lovely week.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your garden is looking good Amy and I love your little greenhouse. As for getting cooler, today's it's really chilly here and methinks the heating is going to have to kick in later. P x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amy, in a way it's kind of satisfying to do all the garden clean up for winter but it's also sad to see the gardening season go until next year. I haven't done much here but clean out the vegetable garden although there are still marigolds blooming quite nicely in it until we get a hard frost. We'll have the man up the road till them all under and I expect marigolds will be popping up next year from the seeds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love this post Amy :) Such a treat to have a tour of your lovely garden, thank you :) Mine is in dire need of a tidy, a job for this week I think.
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  40. The Yucca flowers are beautiful, such warm weather has brought them all to life. I love to discover things still in flower at this time of year, although it's much colder now. Your lavender looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love your garden and all the preparation for fall/winter. So many beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx