Although we have not had or are due to get any frosts yet as it has still been so warm, it is getting cooler now and will only continue to do so now that October is here. I decided that it was time to move my Pelargoniums (Geraniums) into the little greenhouse that I had already erected ready and waiting. I have decided to leave the door up for now so it is as if they are outside, but there is a little bit more protection if the weather does change and I don't realise, and if I do know that a frost is due, I can easily just pop out and let the door down and zip it closed.
As you can see they are still busy flowering away and looking really good.
When putting the little greenhouse together that it seemed a little flimsy so I have cable tied (zip tie) the shelves to the frame to make it more stable and I have also tied it to the wire mesh that supports the grapevine. It should stay put! Just to try and be sure though I have put all but one of the pots on the bottom shelf and as they are terracotta, I am hoping they will weight it down!
There is autumn colour appearing in the chrysanthemums that I bought, but over things like the begonias that I grew for the first time this year are finishing. Hopefully I can keep the corms of the begonias from these plants and grow then again next year.
Other tidying up has been done too. The umbrellas have been gathered up ready to be put away and I have taken the ornaments out of the pots and put them in the shed for now. I have a large plastic trunk that I store all the garden things in over the winter, but it is still full of the cover for the table and chairs at the moment, so I need to do a swap over at some point.
The lavender has kept on flowering all summer and still had flowers on it when I cut it back. It had to be done though as it needs to be kept trimmed to keep it in good shape, and really it should have been done earlier, but I left it because the bees were still visiting the flowers. While I was trimming it there were some very confused bees flying around looking for the flowers, so I felt rather bad for them, but this way there will be a lot more blooms for them next year.
Bulbs have been planted, and this year I made sure to label them. Not just so that I know the name of the variety, but so that I don't accuse daffodils of not flowering when they are in fact alliums as I did this spring! Although I have copped out slightly by just not buying any alliums this year.
The rhubarb bed was cleared of any straggling stems - the one on the left - and I planted a row of tulips along one side and a row of mixed narcissus on the other side for a bit of spring colour, the bulbs won't interfere with the rhubarb and the flowers and leaves will have died down before the rhubarb gets big.
In the other bed on the right I planted some more tulips. This bed has become a catch all for all kinds of things, there are ranunculi and anemones that Leanne gave me earlier in the year, a stray fuchsia and an odd cyclamen for some reason. Not exactly a well thought out planting scheme, but it is nice to have somewhere to put these things that come into a gardeners life!
It was also time for the wildflower bed to be cut down. All the plants had gone brown and I gave them a good shake in the hope that any seeds would fall down into the soil to grow again next year. There are a few odd biannuals coming up I noticed, so that is why I haven't cut the wildflowers all the way down as I didn't want to disturb the other plants coming up, and I am sure they will die down naturally over the winter.
Hubby has been busy working more on operation patio by starting the next stage which is to replace the old path with some of the slabs left over from the patio. We want to totally change where the path goes and how it is laid out, so the old one has to go. Although for some reason part way through it was necessary to stop and rake up the leaves!
The old path is made up of a combination of what were originally white - now dirty grey - and pink slabs that were laid alternately. Not really our style at all, and it definitely doesn't go with the new patio arrangement. We have a plan though - as always! - some of the slabs have been used to make this hard standing area around the compost bins and will also make a space for hubby to use his workbench to saw wood and so on. The compost bins are still stood on the soil though. Other slabs have been laid around the back of our garden shed. It is a long work in progress again, but it will get done!
The Rowan tree - which some of you will know as Mountain Ash, they are the same thing though - is changing colour, but I noticed that most all of the berries had already been eaten by the birds. The berries are a real favourite, but at least the birds done eat the colourful leaves.
A last look at the flowers that are still going, or in the case of the primula below, starting early!
The grapes are really black and as ripe as they are going to be now. Unfortunately they taste as bitter and hard and nasty as ever so we will not be eating them. Eventually when the leaves fall off the blackbirds will eat them though, so that is OK by me.
I do love flowers and indeed this bunch of chrysanthemums that I bought over 2 weeks ago is still looking lovely and it doesn't seem as if the flowers will be done anytime soon.
The most exciting thing though is that the yucca in the front garden is actually flowering!!! This is the first time since we planted it 9 or 10 years ago. I am so pleased with it and hope that now it is off it will keep flowering every year. My other potted yucca that I showed you last year here didn't flower this year - it doesn't bloom every year - so I am really happy to see this one blooming.
Although the Rowan berries are almost all gone, there are still lots of other things around for the birds to snack on before they get started on the grapes!
Well that is all for this