Saturday, 20 September 2014

A first little taster from Boston

I am still going through our photos from our holiday to New England - in fact, I have barely started - but having downloaded them to my computer I thought you might like to see a few little things.  It turns out that from all the many photos that "we" took, I actually didn't take that many.  Most of them were taken by hubby and although I will share a few of the over 500 he took, I won't make you suffer the rest!

Anyhow, just a few little tasters to be going on with and to give you a flavour of what we did.


This statue is in the Boston Public Library, one of two that flank the staircase.  The whole library is a magnificent building.


One of the main things that I wanted to do in Boston was to walk the Freedom Trail.  I will give you more information about this in a future post, but one of the things that I wanted to see most of all was the various Burying Grounds as I find the headstones so fascinating.  It is amazing to think that they are so old and still in such good condition.


We walked most all of the Freedom Trail and went into most of the places that you could visit along the way.  The Old South Meeting House was just one of them.


This wonderful painting is displayed in the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.  It is an amazing museum.  We barely scratched the surface of looking at all that they have displayed, but we did look at all of the American Galleries and I have a lot of pictures, so I will be sharing more of them in due course.  This painting is massive, it takes up the whole wall.


When we arrived at our first hotel in Boston it was nearly midnight as it had taken so long to get through immigration - nearly 3 hours - and we were amazed when the reception told us that we had been upgraded to a Suite!!  I have never ever ever stayed in a suite before.  It was quite small, a bedroom, living room area with a table and chairs and a bathroom.  It was "decorated" to within an inch of it's life.  We stayed well away from this piece on the wall as we were afraid it would all come crashing down.  I think that they are supposed to be bird houses as there seemed to be a garden/bird theme in the decorating.  It was a wonderful experience staying in this suite.  I doubt that I will ever repeat it, but I can see why people would enjoy it so much!  We were incredibly lucky and grateful for the experience.


After leaving Boston we stayed in a lovely small town called Exeter in New Hampshire and one day found a wonderful garden centre that was full of pumpkins and Mums (chrysanthemums to those of us in England).  It was so beautiful and I told the staff, and meant it, that I thought it was the most beautiful display I had ever seen at a garden centre.  They seemed surprised and as though it was nothing out of the normal, but I thought it was far from normal and took lots of pictures!


We spent a while watching these two little chimpmunks playing running in and around this dry stone wall, they were lots of fun to watch.


The highlight of the visit for me was visiting Louisa May Alcott's home, Orchard House, in Concord Massachusetts.  Louisa is the famous author of the Little Women books, but she wrote many other works too and also served during the American Civil War and was a campaigner for womens rights.  Those of you who know Little Women will be familiar with the character Amy.  I am named after her and got to see Louisa's sisters May's room who the character Amy is based on.  It was the most amazing experience for me.


After visiting Orchard House we went to the Concord Museum and I was surprised to see how similar the style of display was to the rooms we saw recently at the American Museum in Bath.  It was another wonderful place to visit.

Of course the end came too soon, but I will relive it again in the pictures over the coming days.

Thank you for your supportive and insightful comments on my last post.  They are all greatly appreciated and have given me much to consider.  Thank you all.

Amy

41 comments:

  1. Gravestones are fascinating, we visited some well know ones in Key West on a trip, I remember one saying "see I told you I was sick" there was some really humourous ones there, those pumpkins are fab and chipmunks are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had such an interesting trip. I love visiting churchyards and looking at the gravestones, I find them fascinating. How wonderful that you got to visit Louisa May Alcott's home, especially being named after Amy, that must have been very special for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great experience to visit Louisa May Alcott's home particularly being named after Amy making some truly wonderful memories. Looks like a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really looking forward to see your photos - they are so lovely !!
    And you are named after Amy in Little Women ? Nice !! I loved that book when I was young (well, I still love it, of course !) and used to identify me with her... Silly, isn't it... :-))))
    Must have been great to be able to see the writer's house !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have seen things I have never seen (except for the amazing fall garden displays and chipmunks) and I can't wait to see your photos and posts of your trip. I think it's exciting that you visited Orchard house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a great holiday Amy, look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really looking forward to seeing the rest of your trip. We visited Boston briefly a few years ago and walked part of the Freedom Trail. I'd love to go back and do the whole thing. We were fascinated to see chipmunks in the wild and our American friends couldn't believe that they're kept as pets over here! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must have been really special to visit Louise M Alcott's house - a very personal experience. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how FUN to see Orchard House! Beautiful! I love your photos, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great trip. It is so interesting visiting another country and maybe you'll get to visit Oz one day.
    Hope you'll post some more pics. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to see these places. Old cemeteries are so fascinating to walk through. Seeing Louisa May Alcott's house would be great too especially since you are named after her Amy. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful lion. And how lovely to see Louisa May Alcott's house. It must be lovely to be named after a literary character. It's a book I really enjoyed too, I've read it several times. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating post, Amy. Looking forward to seeing more. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gravestones give so much real history, don't they?
    Looking forward to all the pics
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to go! =) You've been having too much fun, Amy!! LOL! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've always to do a cruise up the New England coast. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What amazing time Amy!
    Im so happy you made this travel to New England.
    The pics are beautiful.Thanks for sharing!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I grew up near Boston and went to college in Cambridge - I love Boston and glad to see you walked the Freedom trail and the sights between Lexington and Concord.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I live right here in this country and have never been to see Louisa May Alcott's home, I would love to though. Little Women was one of my very favorite books growing up. So glad you had a wonderful time and saw so many beautiful things.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  20. We were in Boston just briefly, so we haven't had a chance to see the sites. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great pics Amy, how exciting to visit Louisa May Alcott's house. X

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, Amy for the lovely photos and explanations, what an experience to have been there!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a unique trip, Amy, the photos are lovely! Isn't it wonderful to broaden your horizons this way.

    I haven't had much time to comment myself; it's been a busy start of the new school year. Always love reading your posts, though! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely photos, it looks so interesting. I love that you were named after Amy and got to see the house x

    ReplyDelete
  25. So glad you got to see such wonderful things after the dreadful experience you wrote about in your last post. It all looks so fascinating - I love the style of Orchard House - I'm looking forward to seeing and reading more in your next posts:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my, I have always wanted to visit New England, especially at this time of year - and now my teenage daughter also wants to go. Perhaps we shall go together one day...

    I would love to see more photos of your holiday!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely pictures! I really really want to visit, it's on the cards for next year hopefully :) Amazing that you went to Louisa May Alcott's house, I love the 'Little Women' Books!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Welcome back Amy! How exciting to visit Louisa May Alcott's house. I look forward to seeing some more of your holiday photos! Re your distressing incident at the airport; how dreadful that must have been for you. As other readers have said, I would write it all down and send a letter of complaint. I think the very act of writing and sending such a letter would help you gain closure on this incident, regardless of whether you get an acceptable response. Sending a hug xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. It looks as if your trip was really delightful Amy - how lovely that you were given an upgrade to a suite.
    I have been to New England but never to Boston, I understand that it is a really lovely city.
    I do like the appearance of Orchard House - its appearance is quintessential American to me.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, what a great place! So much rich history there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I used to live up north and that is the one thing I really miss ..... GARDEN CENTERS! I love how they decorate for autumn with the pumpkins and the hay bales and corn stalks.

    Awwwwww...the little chipmunks are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I envy you having visited Louisa May Alcott's home. Her books influenced me greatly as I was growing up. How wonderful that you're named after her Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful trip and fascinating photos, Amy! Such an interesting place to visit and it is great to find out more about it from your post!
    Happy week ahead.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  34. How exciting to have been upgraded, such a treat. Love the photos Amy, looking forward to more installments.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sounds like you had a ball! Boston is a beautiful city. Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. we lived for several years just North of Boston, and often wandered the Freedom trail and I think even after going many many times we never saw all of the MFA.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow that looks a good holiday! I have always wanted to visit New England and Little Woman was one of my favourite books when I was growing up. looking forward to seeing more about your holiday. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh, how wonderful! I love, love the history of Boston. I didn't realize that one could see Louisa May Alcott's home...what a treat! Little Women has always been one of my favorite books. I can't wait to see more from your trip! *hugs* :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Amy, how wonderfully enchanting that you got to visit Louisa May Alcott's home, especially since you were named after one of her character's, amazing! Your trip to New England sounds lovely and I'm looking forward to more pics!

    Happy Tuesday,

    xx
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh Amy, I was so excited to see that you went to Louisa May Alcott's home...I so wanted to go there myself when we visited Boston years ago, but there was insufficient time. Now I have seen it, thanks to you! Little Women was my favourite book as a child and I love that you were named after Amy. My niece is called Jo after you know who... Love all your pictures, and look forward to seeing more. New England is a very attractive area, and it looks like you had an excellent time. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow Amy, it looks like you had a great time, and what a fantastic visit to Louisa May Alcott's home, I just love Little Women. The Pumpkins in the garden centre look great too, I wish we did something like that over in the UK more. Can't wait to see more pictures soonx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx