Wednesday, 27 August 2014

Wordy Wednesday

Well, you know that I am quite a wordy lady by now, but today I am all out of words it seems.  I have a lot of things to write about, and a few posts in draft, but I need photos and the weather has been grey and gloomy and it doesn't do the best for photos does it.

I will give you a bit of a picture in words of what we have been up to lately, how about that instead of photos!

We spent the bank holiday weekend and yesterday working on the patio.  It has been a lot more work than either of us envisaged, and has definitely taken a lot longer than we thought that it would.  We are nearly there with stages 1 and 2 - the path round the house and the area outside the back door and the patio - just need to put in a few more slabs, haven't told hubby that bit yet, and return the furniture and plant pots from whence they came.  I love the word whence, no idea why!!

If it is dry tomorrow I will take some pictures to share with you even if it isn't the full ta dah! moment.  In fact, I don't think that there will be a ta dah! now with the weather having turned the way that it has.

Stage 3 will be to do the path down the garden and will also be quite a lot of work.  Having lived here for 10 years with a path of alternating (and very dirty and seemingly uncleanable no matter what I try) pink and grey slabs I will be so very happy to see the back of this path.  That probably will not come until October though.  Or if the weather is worse by then it may have to wait until the spring, but I hope that it doesn't.

The weather here seems to have changed surprisingly early this year doesn't it.  We never really had a summer apart from the heatwave that we had for a few weeks, all hot and sunny but for about 2 weeks, and just dull and now grey and raining after that.  I have been denying to myself that summer is ending, but I fear that it probably is, I notice that leaves are changing colour and berries are starting to turn red - or already have in some cases.  Sure signs that a change is on the way.

My clearing out and sorting out of the house has mostly been done now and has been great for occupying my mind when I needed it to.  I made a trip to the charity shop with things that I could not rehome or reuse happened last week, and yes, I did come back with something!  A blue and green bowl to go in the bathroom.  I'm not sure about it now that it is there though, so it might go back to the charity shop!  I still have the kitchen cupboards to go through but that is more of a tidying and organising job than a getting rid of things job.  I don't have room to store everything in the kitchen all at once, so my plastic picnic ware lives in a plastic crate in the loft in the off season, I need to gather everything up ready to go back to the loft.  Some things haven't even seen the light of day this year due to the weather and the lack of time that we have had.

The front of the house is all looking good, the rendering, roofing and painting are all done.  The builders and other tradies really did a good job.  I have been holding off showing you a full ta dah again because I have been waiting to complete some touches here and there and we also want to paint the garage door.  Paint was bought at the weekend, so perhaps if it is dry this weekend I will have a go at it.  We also bought a lovely new plant pot for the front door and a bay tree to go in it - a very very small bay tree, those things cost a fortune it turns out!!  I have been waiting for this for a long time, so it was lovely to finally choose a pot.  We got a really good deal on it to as it was reduced to half price!

Well, for someone who started off this post by saying that they didn't know what to write about, I sure have shared a lot haven't it!!!  I told you that I could talk a lot.

That was definitely a wordy post for a Wednesday wasn't it!

Back tomorrow with pictures and more normal "stuff"!!

Amy

24 comments:

  1. A lot getting done, it will all be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a clear out too- always feels good to de-clutter. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely, I can understand you and I loved to read this post.
    My home is going crazy.. my garden too.
    School begins in 6 days, and I am preparing all the stuff for the kids. My craft room is waiting for me and all my stuff, my garden flowers is turning crazy with all the grass that grown and my men just began a new job.. and I do not have pictures to show on my blog my craft.
    I need to be here with normal stuff too but I can't : too much work at home these days.
    Routine day is coming soon ... and I will be here to read from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was certainly on the wordy side. :) I'm glad you're getting so much done, you'll be so happy when it's all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll keep my fingers crossed we'll have a nice indian summer this year, so that you'll have plenty of nice days to finish all the work...
    Looking forward to see the photos of last weekend's work on the patio !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like there is wonderful movement happening by you!!! I can't wait to see your patio but hear you on the amount of time it takes....we are living in mud currently! And how nuts that the trees are changing already!! They are changing here too! Can't wait to see your new plant and pot for your front door! And yay to organizing!! Happy week to you dear friend! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I bet it feels good to have gotten rid of many extra things. I would like to do that, too. I really don't know where to begin, though!
    I'm so glad your house project has turned out well. I'm sorry that the sun has not been shining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad your donating, our cat charity seems to be a bit short of donations lately x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done on getting those jobs done and for having a clear out. I hope we get just a few more days of good weather so you can get finished off xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Decluttering feels so good, doesn't it? I want to do some too so I made a start in my sewing room and then got distracted with fabric - as usual. I might get round to it some time! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am thinking like you that this is definitely more wordy than where you started. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the word whence, too. We have had a fabulous summer up here (West of Scotland), best I can remember in fact. There were some rainy and dull days of course but overall, it has been great. I measure the greatness of summer by the day spent on the playground. De-cluttering is always satisfying, isn't it? Hope you get the garden finished before the winter so the path can settle over the winter. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a very productive time in your home right now. Well done for putting in all that effort, it's going to be worth it when it's all done. And thanks for that excellent solution to my lack of cupboard space in the kitchen - tomorrow I'm going to pack all our picnic & outdoor eating things into a plastic box and pop it in the loft for the winter! Brilliant idea, thanks - don't know why I never thought of that before. :-)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bay trees are pricey aren't they, but I do love them. Hardly any picnics here this year either, how the summer flies by. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. The end is in sight! Wow envy you some rainy weather, We haven't had a good rain in months and today it is 33 deg C. Cleaning up cupboards and de cluttering gives one such a great feeling of accomplishment! Hope the sun returns soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know it's sad that Summer is nearly finished already, I think the weather is supposed to be nice this weekend. You have done so much work on your home Amy you must both be exhausted, I'm looking forward to seeing the tadahh moment I bet it looks lovely :) oh and I love the word whence too it's an old worldy word I like them all.... from whence do you cometh my good lady haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. After a 2 day clean up of our front path, I feel your pain quite literally! But doesn't it feel goodnwhen it's done?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amy you certainly been very busy! I have a bay tree in a pot that n eeds plant out into the garden as the roots are cracking the rather lovely terracotta pot! It is so nice to be able to pop out and pick a bay tree when cooking stewas and suchlike. Have a lovely wek.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There are certain words that I love too. Whence is one and so is thrice. I can't believe that summer is over - next week is the start of September!! I start thinking about baking my Christmas cakes in September. Well, obviously, I actually start thinking about baking them in August!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wordy is good..hehe
    So exciting I can't wait for photos.
    Everything takes longer than we plan but so worth it when done.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Amy - do protect and shelter your Bay Tree if it is really cold and icy during the winter. I have lost two during severe cold.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's great to get things done :) Things often take longer than expected or don't go quite as planned in life, but we always get there in the end eh? It'll be great when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ha ha, thanks for the update Amy! I know what you mean about the weather, I wish we had had a better summer although it was certainly better than the year before... I hear we are going to have a September heatwave? We'll see! I started my Christmas shopping over the weekend - scary! I am glad you are making progress with everything. Keep going, nearly there!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx