Monday, 25 August 2014

The American Museum - Folk Art

Aside from the beautiful quilts and the Kaffe Fassett exhibition when we visited the American Museum, my favourite part - although I really did love it all! - was the Folk Art display.

I love American Folk Art.  It was something that I fell in love with when I first lived in America over 20 years ago now.  I don't own any, but I love looking at it.  The "primitive" style really appeals to me as you can really see that it is made by a person not a machine.  Of course it isn't at all primitive, but highly skilled, it is just the style that gives that impression.

When we visit historic houses or museums I often strike up conversations with the room guides as I like to hear what they have to say about their properties as they always have such great stories to share.  The room guide in the Folk Art room was an American gentleman from upstate New York who had lived here for many decades having married an English lady.  He was a fascinating man with a great deal of knowledge about the exhibits and very interesting to talk to.  I could have chatted to him all day if he hadn't been so busy with all the over visitors - and of course he might not have wanted to talk to me for that long!!

I have added a few notes here and then with these photos, but mostly I will let them speak for themselves as art does that so well.




I love these duck decoys, they are so well carved and you can imagine that a duck flying overhead spotting one or a small flock of these from afar could well be enticed to land.




I assume that this is a horse, but the long neck gives it rather a look of a giraffe too.  Either way I like it!









These are a mixture of weather vanes and wind spinnery things.  I love these especially.





The paintings were fabulous and in exactly the sort of style that I like.  They seem to have quite a graphic quality which always appeals to me.  The one below with the snow is so beautiful.




Portraits are painted in quite a different style in America it always seems to me than they are in Europe, and I love the way that they look although some of the sitters don't always look that happy.





This piece is new and was specially commissioned, I think last year, for the museum.  it really is wonderful and contains all the archetypal symbols of America with the flag and the eagle and of course Lady Liberty herself.



The names of the thirteen original colonies were inscribed on the side of Lady Liberties dress.  North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Delaware, Virginia, Connecticut, South Carolina, New Jersey, Maryland Georgia and New York.





If you have any interest in this sort of art, or art in general it is well worth a visit and if you are lucky enough to have the same room guide that we had, you will really enjoy yourselves and find out lots of information.

Amy

31 comments:

  1. I live so close to it... I MUST MUST GO... thank you for the push.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Lady Liberty piece, thank you for the tour, it is on my to do list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a very intersting place to visit. I love the ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful collection. I especially like the portraits, they're intriguing. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the weather vanes Amy, and the horse jumping over the gate is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another place I'd enjoy visiting! I really like the Lady Liberty piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks a wonderful collection, with so many pieces to linger over. I think the paintings are my favourites. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much fun to walk through this display with you...xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lady Liberty looks like she's not to be messed with, doesn't she? I like the artwork and the pictures of homesteads and houses, reminds me of Little House in the Big Woods. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the tour through your photography…thank you for sharing,,beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like an interesting place xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The paintings are beautiful. Quilts are my favorite form of art from the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous place to go - so interesting - I too really enjoy the paintings, they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool place. The portraits are very interesting - your observation about the difference between American and European style is right on. These almost seem cartoonish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing, love the portraits so striking
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed the weathervanes on my visit too - it is lovely that the visit reminded you of the time when you lived in America.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's an impressive collection of folk art, Amy. I think I like the landscape paintings best of all.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow awesome museum-thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. An interesting collection, some of those painting are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love American folk art and would love one of those weather vanes.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the quilts and the weather vanes! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I visited this too, just last week! I'm not crazy about folk art in general, but I loved this room, there were so many beautiful, interesting pieces in there, it was fascinating. My favourite was the cigar ribbon quilt, I was imagining all the stories that must have been told while those cigars were smoked and while the quilt was being stitched, it was truly stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What beautiful and interesting.place Amy

    ReplyDelete
  24. A great tour showing us some beautiful things, I loved the millinery sign and the paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful, Amy - I grew up in Massachusetts and my Mother collected folk art. My Dad made 'Whirly-Gigs' as the 'Wind thingy's' are called :) and I have two that I cherish. These collections bring back fond memories of my childhood. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fascinating. Thanks for sharing it all, Amy. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing! I love the determined look on Lady Liberty, as if through gritted teeth she mutters "You WILL be free, like it or not!"

    ReplyDelete
  28. I didn't even know this existed, thank you! Have just been on the website as a direct result of your post and see Kaffee Fasset has an exhibition there till November, if I wasn't tempted by your post (and I was) I am even more so now. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for this lovely post. I love reading about where other bloggers have been. Will put it on my list of places to visit in the future. I especially love American quilts. In my dreams, I always think that one day I'lll make one.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Amy! You fit so much into your visit to The American Museum, it really looks like a great place to visit and very interesting. The art work is impressive and I would love to visit here one day. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx