Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Liebster Award

I have been very kindly nominated twice recently for a Liebster Award by Gillian at hookin A yarn and by Chickpea at Cornish Chickpea.  You can read their own award posts here and here.

As I explained in this post, I am not very good at awards for lots of reasons so, I am going to kind of take part and kind of pass it on - as I will explain!

The first part of these awards is to share some random facts.  I think that for now I am right out of random facts, turns out that I am not as random as I might have thought!  I am therefore skipping that part.

The second part is to answer some questions set by the award passer onerer (just made that last word up!).  I am of course going to answer the questions.

Chickpeas are the first.

* Which period in history would you liked to have lived in

This is a toughie!  There are so many things that I would like to know, to know about and to experience.  I would love to know what life was like when my grandparents were young children in the 1920's, what happened at Basildon Park in the 1800's when James Morrison lived there, what was King Henry VIII really like!  I don't think that I could pick a period, but if you can find me a time machine there are lots of times that I would love to visit.  I think that I would always come back to my own life though as we really do have life pretty easy all told.

* Your favourite book as a child

I actually have this book - somewhere - but I cannot find it!!  I also cannot remember what it is called!!  Pretty hopeless right.  It is about a family of wizards who have vacuum cleaners to fly instead of brooms, they are pretty hopeless and hapless.  A bit like someone would cannot remember the name of or find the book!  I should also say that it is the illustrations that I love, not so much the story!  Setting that aside, now, I would say that my favourite childrens book is The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.  It is a wonderful story, the illustrations are amazing.  I own a copy now and love it and always will.  Go read it if you haven't!

* What genre of music would you say reflects your personality

I am not sure how to answer this one!  I guess that I love stories of people, life, things, places, history.  That is one of the reasons that I blog, because I can share stories.  So, bearing all that in mind, I guess that country music reflects my personality because it is all about telling stories.  My favourite music is country music, especially Garth Brooks.

* Favourite quote

There are some wonderful quotes from Maya Angelou in my post here and I love all of them.  However, the one about doing better when you know better is my favourite.  However, the thing that I love most of all is a small section from the Rudyard Kipling poem If, "And so hold on when there is nothing in you except the Will which says to them: “Hold on!”"  I hold on to those two lines all the time and quote them in my head from time to time.  Sometimes I feel that it is all that I can do to hold on, so I hold on and pretty much come out the other side intact.
* Why did you start blogging

Honestly I started blogging firstly because my husband told me not to.  I am rubbish at doing what I am told, so I did exactly the opposite.  Hubby was worried that people would be nasty, nothing else, and apart from some spammers (press delete people!), it has all been fine so he had no need to worry.  I blog to share, to tell stories about the places that I visit, the things I do.  I just want to put it out there somewhere so that others can see and share.  I guess that I am - like a lot of bloggers, if not all bloggers! - a frustrated writer and this gives me a creative outlet as well.  The best part of blogging has been finding ya'll!!

* Describe your character in three words

Kind, caring, loving.

* What is your signature dish

Easy peasy.  Pavlova.  See my post here!  You will see why!

* If you could be any age what would it be

The age that I am right now.  No.  I am not going to tell you what that is!!  It is now a year older than it was last month though!!

* Do you have a heroine

No, not really.  I am myself and try very hard to be myself.  I admire, look up to and care about and am interested in lots of people, women and men, but I do not have a heroine.  However, I can tell you that I am named after Amy in Little Women.  I am nothing like her though as far as I am concerned.  Mainly because I always wanted to be just like Jo!!

* If you could live anywhere, where would it be

Another tough one.  There are about ten million places that I would like to live.  Lots of places in Australia - masses - lots too in America.  In England, I love the Lake District, Cornwall and Devon.  I would say Lake Tahoe on the Nevada/California border, but it snows there in winter and I could live without the snow.  Actually, that isn't totally true.  I have been snowed on in June at Lake Tahoe.  It snows anytime at Lake Tahoe.  The locals call it white rain...........

* Sweet or savoury

Sweet chocolate and savoury crisps!

Gillian set these questions

* What would be your ideal holiday

A visit to Lake Tahoe and San Francisco.  Perfecto!  Oh, unless I went to Italy.  Or Australia.  Or........

* Are you an optimistic or pessimistic person

I fear that I tend to the pessimistic. 

However, I have this thing that I look for silver linings in the clouds.  Sometimes they are little tiny scraps of itty bitty little bits of not a lot of silver, but I can usually find one.  The time that I had a truly horrendous day, really, it was awful, but I had a great conversation with someone about crochet and encouraged them to pursue their interest in crochet.  Having some truly crap times in the last year and yet some wonderful support from you all - that was a very big silver lining in that cloud.  Be they large or small, I try and look for those good things.  I try and always find the good and the best in people.  They do disappoint me, especially when I give them chance after chance in some cases and they continue to behave the same, but I always keep looking for the good bits.

So although my natural tendency might be to the pessimistic, I do all that I can to be the optimist, so I think that actually makes me a more optimistic person, because I try and fight the pessimist within.

* What kitchen gadget do you use most

My fingers and my favourite knife - I try not to use the knife on my fingers though.  I did once slice the side of my thumb off on a mandolin, so I don't use that much these days.  I love my Kenwood Stand Mixer that I inherited last year too but I don't get to use it that much.

* If you had an extra hour every day how would you use it

Right now I would catch up on my blogging and photo sorting, but long term, well, I need to think about that.  Gardening perhaps.  It is the best meditation so that would be good.  If I had the money to do a university degree I would spend the hour studying.

The third part of this is to pass on the award and ask those that you are passing the award onto some questions.  Now, this is the bit where I fall down with all of this award thingy.  So, as I have explained before, I am not going to name any names, but I am going to invite you to join in if you wish, and so I have set you some questions of your own to answer if you want to take part!  Here they are.

Do you live close or far from where you were born.

Cushions - yes or no?

Love or hate your car and why.

What is the hardest part of blogging.

Why do you love your favourite flower, and what is it!

What is your television guilty pleasure.

What is the last thing that you made.

So, get your thinking caps on as I hope that you will have a go.  I look forward to reading your posts!  Have fun peoples.....

Thank you Gillian and Chickpea for passing this award onto me, you are so kind and so lovely to have thought of me, and it was great fun to read your own posts!

Amy

25 comments:

  1. I think these posts are always good fun, and some of the questions dreamt up are great! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you are full of randoms Amy! Not the sweeties I mean of course :) It is nice to learn a bit more about you today.You don't sound much like a pessimistic person to me, and it is really nice to always find the positive sides to everything. Take care, x
    P.S. I am going to look at your Pavlova post right now to compare notes, I like a good Pavlova.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting questions for sure, and thanks for sharing your answers. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy !
    This was so much fun to read !
    "I started blogging because my husband told me not to"
    " I try not to use the knife on my fingers though"
    I still have a bellyache from laughing, after reading these quotes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the award and very interesting answers.
    In my earlier blogging days we used to do a lot of these and had a lot of fun ~ Eddie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting facts and stories! I like how blogging gives you an easy inside into people that probably doesn't happen face to face; it's much harder to ask what your favourite book as a child was when you're busy talking about life. Blogging is just that bit slower than a conversation, so sharing things is easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your award, such a lovely insight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! :-) I know, I'm a little late, but it's heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to read these types of posts - they really make us think about ourselves in a way we probably wouldn't otherwise. Congrats on your awards. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your award Amy, loved reading your answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for taking part Amy, it was lovely to read your answers, I especially like the reason you started blogging! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome stuff ! Thanks for sharing and Congrats . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I so enjoyed learning more about you!!! You are fantastic friend! And I think that is awesome that you would want to live here in the US! Funny I would want to come and live where you are!!! I too would love to live in the 1920's through the 1940's. Happy week to you lady and congrats on the nominations!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to read this Amy- I love Pavlova too and my husband calls me incorrigible! Well they shouldn't tell us what not to do then we wouldn't do the opposite! Super questions and ,many thanks for sharing! Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done. Thanks for taking part. It was very interesting to read your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved reading your answers, and I like that you have answered in the same way I would, saying both yes and no, not picking just one thing, explaining and justifying. It all sounds nicely thought out. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Amy,

    So lovely to know you a little better. Is the book The Wednesday Witch? And good for you for being yourself. I think it's the hardest self to be sometimes.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Amy, and I also enjoyed reading your insightful answers. I do love that you are named for Amy, because Little Women was my favourite book when I was a child. How I wished to live in their time and place! Great post xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great answers Amy! I'll have a little go at your questions and link back x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats Amy, it's well deserved. And a lovely interesting and insightful post too - thanks for brightening up Blogland, and I for one am glad you didn't listen to hubby this time ;-)
    Have a happy day,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great stuff. Loved the bit about being an optimistic pessimist!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Amy, it's me again, here are my answers to your questions! Iifeatsylvanhouse.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on your award Amy. I enjoyed reading more about you. :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx