Joining in with various other bloggers, but particularly Annie, here are ten random things about me to share with you.
1. I have a thing about cushions, I have way too many of the dotted around the house, but I love making them and collecting them.
2. I speak English in three languages. English English, Australian English, American English. In theory Australian English is my first language, but most people wouldn't know it. I call that thing in the kitchen that goes on top of your cabinets a bench. In England it is a worktop, in America it is a countertop. I have no idea what the cabinets are called in Australia, but in England they are actually cupboards - well, I think!
3. I don't like birds. I am scared of them. Despite that I have lots of different bird shaped ornaments and decorations and am an avid feeder of the birds in the garden and love to watch them going about their business hunting for food and nesting materials in the garden. I'm just scared of them flying at me!
4. I love my blog. I had no idea how much I would love it when I started. I have always liked writing and I love to write here. Sometimes I seem to get wrapped up in photos, but it is the words that I wish I could spend more time with. I am loving this post because it is words!
5. When I travel by airplane I can apparently be a nightmare for the other passengers. On night flights I cannot bear to have the window blind shut and insist on keeping the blind up. This seems to upset flight attendants. This is not intentional, I just hate the feeling of being shut in. I do not suffer with claustrophobia, it is just one of those things.
6. Spiders and bugs scare the heck out of me, but my greatest irrational fear is of cantilevered staircases. This can be a problem working in an 18th Century House with two such staircases. I just go up and down them as fast as I can! Normal stairs = I'm fine!
7. Pavlova is my greatest all time dessert ever. I love it and could eat masses of it given the chance. It has to be real proper Pav though. I cannot abide meringue nests with cream and fruit sauce dumped on the top being called a Pav - or even worse, meringue nest served with ice cream which I was served very recently and which was described as Pavlova.
8. I never used to really care much about art. Now I wish that I knew so much more. In the meantime I read books and hope to understand it one day. The same goes for architecture. And history.
9. My favourite TV programmes are trashy American ones. The sort of thing that my friends and family would never watch - well, would never admit to watching! I wonder if they do in secret? Best at the moment and my most guilty pleasure is The Real Housewives of.... Although at the moment those women from Miami are not really doing it for me. I like the New York ones. I wish they would do The Real Housewives of somewhere in the Midwest or one of the southern states. That would be interesting. P.S. please don't tell anyone. P.P.S. Please don't judge me!
10. My favourite poem changes. Do you have that? The first poem that I ever really knew was If by Rudyard Kipling. Then I moved to love I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud by William Wordsworth (the one about the daffodils). Now however I am back to If. I quote lines to myself from time to time as a reminder to keep going - And so hold on when there is nothing in you except the Will which says to them: “Hold on!” - for one.
11. I could have written another 100 things here, but that would have bored you to tears!