Wednesday, 14 May 2014

Wordy Wednesday - Ten random things

Joining in with various other bloggers, but particularly Annie, here are ten random things about me to share with you.

1.  I have a thing about cushions, I have way too many of the dotted around the house, but I love making them and collecting them.

2.  I speak English in three languages.  English English, Australian English, American English.  In theory Australian English is my first language, but most people wouldn't know it.  I call that thing in the kitchen that goes on top of your cabinets a bench.  In England it is a worktop, in America it is a countertop.  I have no idea what the cabinets are called in Australia, but in England they are actually cupboards - well, I think!

3.  I don't like birds.  I am scared of them.  Despite that I have lots of different bird shaped ornaments and decorations and am an avid feeder of the birds in the garden and love to watch them going about their business hunting for food and nesting materials in the garden.  I'm just scared of them flying at me!

4.  I love my blog.  I had no idea how much I would love it when I started.  I have always liked writing and I love to write here.  Sometimes I seem to get wrapped up in photos, but it is the words that I wish I could spend more time with.  I am loving this post because it is words!

5.  When I travel by airplane I can apparently be a nightmare for the other passengers.  On night flights I cannot bear to have the window blind shut and insist on keeping the blind up.  This seems to upset flight attendants.  This is not intentional, I just hate the feeling of being shut in.  I do not suffer with claustrophobia, it is just one of those things.

6.  Spiders and bugs scare the heck out of me, but my greatest irrational fear is of cantilevered staircases.  This can be a problem working in an 18th Century House with two such staircases.  I just go up and down them as fast as I can!  Normal stairs = I'm fine!

7.  Pavlova is my greatest all time dessert ever.  I love it and could eat masses of it given the chance.  It has to be real proper Pav though.  I cannot abide meringue nests with cream and fruit sauce dumped on the top being called a Pav - or even worse, meringue nest served with ice cream which I was served very recently and which was described as Pavlova.

8.  I never used to really care much about art.  Now I wish that I knew so much more.  In the meantime I read books and hope to understand it one day.  The same goes for architecture.  And history.

9.  My favourite TV programmes are trashy American ones.  The sort of thing that my friends and family would never watch - well, would never admit to watching!  I wonder if they do in secret?  Best at the moment and my most guilty pleasure is The Real Housewives of....  Although at the moment those women from Miami are not really doing it for me.  I like the New York ones.  I wish they would do The Real Housewives of somewhere in the Midwest or one of the southern states.  That would be interesting.  P.S. please don't tell anyone.  P.P.S. Please don't judge me!

10.  My favourite poem changes.  Do you have that?  The first poem that I ever really knew was If by Rudyard Kipling.  Then I moved to love I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud by William Wordsworth (the one about the daffodils).  Now however I am back to If.  I quote lines to myself from time to time as a reminder to keep going - And so hold on when there is nothing in you except the Will which says to them: “Hold on!” - for one.

11.  I could have written another 100 things here, but that would have bored you to tears!

Amy

37 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your ten random things. I'm quite partial to a pavlova too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this post Amy, it's a great idea. I may borrow it at some point if you don't mind. I've met so many lovely and interesting people through blogging and it was nice to get to know you a bit better through your ten things. ps- are you a fan of eton mess? It's what I make when the meringues rebel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, but I admit, I do use those store bought meringue nests for that! xx

      Delete
  3. No, 100 things wouldn't have bored us !
    And I'm number two who also is fond of pavlova ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these 'ten random things' posts that i keep coming across and yours is no exception ..... Oooooh you can't beat a proper pav!
    love Jooles x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am a fan of pavlova. Years ago I went to a restaurant up in Lancashire, and the waitress pronounced it pav-er-law-ver, and I still hear her voice today when it is mentioned.
    Interesting facts, I enjoyed reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm you can't beat a proper pav, my fav is a chocolate one with raspberries on top & you can never have too many cushions. Mine seem to breed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a countertop in Canada too...although I sometimes revert to English and call it a work surface.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. urgh I'm totally anti birds too, especially pigeons! And i love Real Housewives, though rarely admit to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a Real Housewives of Atlanta, haven't seen it, but it's probably as tacky (southern word) as the rest of them. Have to ask, what's a Pavlova?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a fun post! I'll have to be careful what I serve you if you stop by my house. I make the meringue nests rather than the proper thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I speak English in 3 different languages made me smile, but oh so true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent randoms Amy, with you on the Pavlova,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wrote a draft 10 things, but keep coming up with changes ... so it sits as draft. Loved your 10 Things :) I think Australian English is the most difficult to learn, but the most fun! I've never had pavlova, but see it in the stores ... it looks sinful, and I suppose a proper one really is. Since I don't have any flowers in the garden to show (yet) perhaps a Wordy Wednesday would be in order for me too!! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting things to find out about you. Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amy,
    Hi! Interesting to learn a little more about you.Good post...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, this was fun!

    I don't like spiders, either. ha. And my word verification was 'creep'. lol...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh irrational fears, well mine is house spiders-I'm fine with garden ones and I really wish it wasn't a fear of mine. Shame you're scared of birds, you would certainly not like rescuing herring gull chicks and injured birds, but at least you can and do enjoy them at a distance. I think it's a great list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was lovely to read your random things Amy, I love real pavlova too but lets face it how could anyone not haha, I love watching birds but would be afraid of one flying at me too and I have a thing about bird ornaments my mother always said they were unlucky so I can't bring myself to have one in the house, I have garden ones though. I loved this post it's a great idea, loved Wendy's too. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another 100 things wouldn't have bored me at all, I love these random posts, and yours is excellent. I'm very much a Blinds Open person as well, I hate closed doors and shut curtains. Even when it gets light at 4am!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hate, hate, hate spiders. But I love pavlova. And I really prefer having the shade open on the plane window too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I could never complete an assignment like this....
    Good for you...
    My daughters love "real housewives"...I have a hard time with all the surgery faces...this is one of my pet peeves..
    Anyway....great job....I hate spiders too!
    Enjoy your evening!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely to get to know you a little better ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fun post Amy. I always learn so much about the blogger/writer in these types of posts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I loved learning more about you friend! Ha! You cracked me up with the "Real Housewives"...guilty pleasures indeed! And I know this sounds ridiculous but can you tell me a little more about that dessert?!?!?! You are a blast pal! Wishing you a beautiful day tomorrow! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post and to learn more about you. Love proper pav, its benches and cupboards here in NZ too. I am the same with open curtains etc, got to see the garden! Zana

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Amy,
    How lovely to know you a little better. I make a very good pavlova by the way. Anytime you are in St Ives, call in and I'll make sure there is one ready. We can dive in together!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Amy really interesting to learn more about you! I'm also scared of some staircases! xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great post, Amy - I loved learning more about your world and would certainly not be bored with 100 more things. I love the diversity of your interesting random things too!
    Oh and ps. (sshhh... don't tell) I got addicted to the Real Housewives of NYC too, although I'm not usually a trashy telly kinda gal... or maybe I am but haven't acknowledge that yet... tee hee ;-)
    Oh and I HATE spiders too!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Interesting lot of thoughts.
    Do you know I have never flown? Must be the onlt man in England not to have done so . . . but I lead such a sheltered life!
    Interesting about the three English languages but I thought the word 'cabinet' is used in English English as in wall caninets.
    Love Pavlova - both the one you eat and the Ballet Dancer.
    Speak soon ~ Esdie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never flown on a commercial flight either Eddie, although I do have a (currently lapsed) glider pilot's license. Now that really is flying ... no engines to hold you up, just the air!

      Delete
  30. Amy, I have secret, don't tell anyone, but I love the American TV programmes too - so I certainly cannot judge you, ha ha. I watch them all,but the hubby hates them so I have to wait until he is out, or busy doing something else. :) I have a funny thing about anything flying things too, mainly butterflies, moths and bats. I cannot look at photos of butterflies close up as I get goosebumps!! I don't mind looking at the wings, but the body, eek - I just got goosebumps thinking about them! Thanks for sharing your random things, I enjoyed reading them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nooo, these posts will never be boring. So glad you joined in :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amy, I had so much fun reading these 'random things' and actually, the list was too short for me! Please write some more!
    Marielle

    ReplyDelete
  33. I loved reading these Amy. Always lovely to find out more about a blogger!

    Have a super day!

    Vanessa x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Brilliant! I enjoyed this so much, We have a LOT in common. I don't much like those dusty shop bought meringues either, they need to be gooey and marshmallowy in the middle. American Housewives of the Midwest - now that I would watch! x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such an interesting post. I enjoyed reading immensely...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx