Wednesday, 7 May 2014

What I did at the weekend

Do you remember being at school and having to write about what you did at the weekend or "what you did in the holidays".  It always seemed to me that I never had anything interesting to write about.  We always did the same things that never seemed as exciting as the things that other people did.  So I'm not sure that what I did this last weekend was very exciting, but nevertheless I will share it with you anyway, and knowing bloggers as I have come to, you will probably find it more interesting than I would have done when I was a child!

It was time to get the garden ornaments and pots out of their winter storage, set up the table and umbrellas and generally get the garden spruced up for summer.  There is of course still more to do, I didn't get my hammock out yet and I want to try and find some new large pots to go outside the front door rather than the little ones that I have been using, but it is good to have ongoing projects and things to look forward to doing isn't it.  Lets face it, gardening is never done, and never should be in my opinion, there is always something to tweak, add, deadhead and so on.  I would hate for the garden to be a static thing with nothing to do.

So, here is what we did this weekend!



 Admired the first of the Irises to come out in the front garden.



The Wigelia is starting to bloom.



The Hornbeam hedge and the Holly are producing new leaves like crazy.




I am always in two minds about this Rhododendron, it looks very dark and boring for a lot of the year, and then when it blooms it totally redeems itself and makes me love it all over again!  It seemed to be looking particularly beautiful when I took these photographs.



The Rowan tree and the Broom are both looking beautiful with their white flowers.



I was very pleased when we got home from our travels to see that the Dicentra (Bleeding Heart) was starting to come into flower, it is looking spectacular now.  I would like to get some more of these sometime.  They look very delicate, but are as tough as old boots as one of my friends says, and they really are!



Little tiny blooms, but very pretty and delicate.


 

Out came the table and chairs, along with the umbrellas.


Garden ornaments out of storage.



 

We planted up lots of pots with annuals to stand on the patio over the summer and by the door, to fill in gaps wherever needed really.  I love Pelargoniums (Geraniums) and always have a few each year.  I really liked the leaves on this one.



These are some of the seeds that I won in a giveaway from Leanne at Today's Stuff earlier in the year.  I don't normally have much luck with seeds, but these seem to be growing well.  Leanne must have sent some of her magic gardening touch with them!



This Fuchsia has lasted through the winter which I am very pleased about, it needs to be transplanted, but it is in with the seeds at the moment, and not wanting to disturb them the Fuchsia can stay here for a little bit longer!


After a total vegetable failure last year, the veg beds are having a rest this year, and following on from the good results with the seeds from Leanne, we have sown a mix of annuals in this bed, along with some Sweet Peas and Nasturtium seeds.  Sweet Peas have a chequered history in this garden, for some reason hubby always weeds them out!  So this year he has been given strict instructions not to touch them and I hope that having planted them by our home made wigwam support he will realise that they are NOT weeds and leave them alone!




Here you can see all of the pots that we filled up!  The solar lights are just stuck in them so that they can charge up and we can work out which ones still work before I dot them around the garden.



I reported earlier in the year I think that I was disappointed that two of my pots of Daffodils had not flowered.  There is a reason for that.  They are not Daffodils!  They are Alliums and are coming into bloom!  I have a few things to plant in the flower beds so I will transplant these and they can flower to their hearts content.  Hopefully they will have forgiven me for being rude about them not blooming!




So, the garden is getting ready for lots of growing activity!

Amy

38 comments:

  1. What a beautiful garden, all the beautiful blooms and growth makes you feel a whole lot better. A garden is a great tonic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your seedlings, I don't let Mike loose on the garden often, I'm pretty sure he thinks everything is a weed. I'm sure I never did anything exciting at the weekend as a child, I do remember writing about them in school as a youngster though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, garden furniture out- it must be summer :-) Garden's looking fab- lovely to see all the colourful plants x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite sure that it is summer yet, but getting there!! xx

      Delete
  4. Very nice garden, you have been busy. Have a guess what I did the weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw what you did at the weekend!! Hope that you enjoyed it. Did you have a go on the ball run!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Amy
    The light in your photos looks lovely - it really makes the best of the flowers. You must be very organised to put your ornaments away for winter - I'm afraid I just leave everything out ( except the umbrella) and hope it all survives! You garden is looking very pretty. Everything is growing so fast here.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks so lovely Amy.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, what fab colours, we have an orange Azalea in our front garden, our neighbour says it's been in there for at least 40 years, when the sun's on it tho', it actually looks like a ball of orange flames just love it
    As ever Thank You for sharing
    Much Love
    Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that sounds so beautiful Sue, wish that I could see it. xx

      Delete
  8. Your garden is looking lovely Amy, so many beautiful blooms already. I have bleeding hearts in pink and in white and I love them. I managed to pressure wash the patio, but my paving is so old it didn't make a lot of difference. I haven't even started on the borders yet I'm so late! but I'm a fair weather gardener so it could take a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Way ahead of us here...looks really lovely Amy...especially those mauve Iris!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you've really been busy Amy and your garden is looking so pretty. Stunning photos.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia, glad that you enjoyed it. xx

      Delete
  11. So many beautiful blooms, Amy and it looks like you are getting a good start on things in the garden! Isn't it a good feeling to get out the patio table and umbrella and all the sweet little garden things? I do love your chairs and those gorgeous iris! My Mother loved iris, too and always filled my arms with bouquets when I would visit. I enjoyed visiting your lovely garden. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garden looks gorgeous Amy. The Iris pics are my favourites. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em, even though I shouldn't say it, I was pleased with how those photos turned out so I'm glad that you liked them too. xx

      Delete
  13. A lovely garden post, Amy! I love to see what you are growing :) The sweetpeas will be lovely growing round your special wigwam. Your iris photos are amazing, it was as if the actual flower was there in front of me! They are the most beautiful colours :)
    Wishing you a happy week.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden is looking beautiful already!
    Bleeding hearts ARE as tough as old boots...they grow here!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!! Your garden is just beautiful Amy!! What a wide assortment of flowers and flowering bushes you have, and they're all gorgeous. You have a lovely backyard with some nice shade there. My bleeding hearts are always shooting up tiny sprouts which are easily transplanted, just have a peek around the base to see if there are some hiding there (saves having to buy new plants). You certainly have been busy, and the work is paying off very well. I'm still waiting for something, ANYthing to bloom here ;) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a beautiful garden! Love the iris pics. Must try and get some bleeding hearts for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your flowers are gorgeous! We are just starting to have warm weather so hoping that my flowers will begin to flower soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your garden is really looking great, very lush and green already. I'm glad you were able to enjoy some time outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You certainly have a green thumb. You're back yard must be a special retreat for you. The blooms are so pretty. The irises in my front yard have just bloomed too. I must remember to take a photo of them. Enjoyed your photo.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous photos and a beautiful garden. X

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful and inviting garden, I'd like to drink Pimms in this garden x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pimms in the garden is lovely indeed Rachel!! xx

      Delete
  22. Thanks for the lovely trip around your beautiful garden - sounds like a fab weekend to me. And I love the story about the daffodils that are actually alliums - that sounds like the kind of thing I'd do too!
    Have a happy day, xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your garden is looking really lovely, thank you for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Lorna! Glad that you enjoyed it. xx

      Delete
  24. Beautiful! I love May because of the wonderful flowers out during this month in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your garden is looking good, lots coming into bloom. I think your rhododendron can be forgiven for looking dull at other times, when it is blooming so beautifully now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful, you've got so much variety and it's all bursting into life. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Agggh, I have garden envy! Mine is full of weeds and untidy, boooo! I love all of the exciting things happening in your garden, Amy. I know what you mean about the alliums, they look just like daffodils don't they! Good job you didn't dig them up! We have a few alliums in our garden, they are looking like yours right now, I cannot wait for them to open, they are my favourite. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't have garden envy Sarah, it has taken 10 years to get to this stage, it was a nightmare when we moved in, a real wilderness. Keep going and your garden will look great, it just takes time. Glad to know that I am not the only one with allium identification problems!! xx

      Delete
  28. How lovely to have a tour of your garden. It's very pretty and organised. I hope the veg growing is successful next year after a bit of a rest. I would love to grow veg, but just don't seem to get focused enough, or maybe it's because I've not had time before.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx