Tuesday, 27 May 2014

The County Fair

On Sunday we went to a local Young Farmers County Fair.  It is held in a different location within our county each year and this year it was close enough to go and visit.  The show is quite small in comparison to some, but it was a beautiful day as you can see from the photos.  There was enough to see, although not loads so you didn't feel too overloaded.
 
We started off with a wander round the farm machinery area.  I think that this tractor must have got lost though as it was definitely not an entrant for the dog show!


There are all kinds of pieces of old equipment that are no longer used, and I am not always convinced that anyone knows what they were made for years ago, but they are still interesting to look at, and have some amazing details.



Of course tractors are far more easily recognisable!  I liked this display of four different sized Massey Fergusons all arranged together.  Massey Fergusons are traditionally painted red.


This old Fordson was nice to see, we especially liked the little bucket that you can see on the side to catch the oil drips!



I couldn't resist the tractors again!




Then we moved on to looking at the vintage cars.  This is a Morris Traveller.



A Humber Scepter and a Ford Anglia



Who can resist an E-Type Jaguar!  I think that this is the one that I would like to take home.


After looking at the cars we headed over to the Fly Ball competition.  This is where dogs race in teams to go over hurdles or through obstacles whilst running to collect a tennis ball.  It is a sort of relay race.  The noise was amazing with the owners cheering their dogs on and the dogs barking.  It was all in good fun though.  Some of the dogs were quite relaxed and just waited their turn to race, others had to be held back by their owners as they were so keen to set off!




I shot these pictures using the sports mode on my camera where it shoots continuously.  It did an amazing job of taking lots of photos of .... nothing!  However, it did also mean that I got these shots too which I was very pleased with.  Although some of them are a little blurry, it really shows the dogs in action and how fast they were going.






After watching the dogs we went to see the Owl Disobedience Display.  It was of course meant to be a display of various birds of prey flying and showing what they could do.  However, the wind had got up a bit and it seemed to be distracting the birds, especially this Barn Owl.



No matter how much the handler tried to encourage him, he resolutely refused to do anything.


The handler tried moving him to a different perch to see if that made a difference.





Eventually the owl decided to cooperate and flew a short distance to the handler.


I think that the handler was very glad that the owl finally decided to make one flight as he seemed rather embarrassed.  He had no need to as it was not his fault and of course when you are working with animals you have to accept that they are in control.  We felt very sorry for him though.


The handler announced that he would stop as the owl was so unhappy, and that was probably best for all concerned as he really didn't want the owl to become stressed.


We had a look around the competition tent, but it was very crowded so it was hard to take any photos, however, I just had to get a picture of this crocheted blanket for you all to see so I waited and waited by this entry to get a photo.


After we came out there was a little wood chopping action going on.  The one above is as you can tell a saw, the one below is a sort of log splitter.  It was amazingly efficient, although rather scary in the way that it just forced the wood apart.  You would not want to have an accident with this.



By now the owl had departed from the arena and it was time for the vintage cars to come and display themselves and for the owners to answer questions about their cars.  Some of the answers were very funny.  One lady was asked what sort of car she was driving and she answered "My Dad's"!!  It got a laugh from everyone and fortunately the announcer knew what it was so he was able to talk about it.  The poor lady must have been very embarrassed.  She obviously wasn't expecting to have to talk about the car.


A Morris Mini Van and an Austin Mini Super



A  Ford Anglia and a Morris Traveller



A Wolsley Hornet and a Ford Model T


I must give thanks to my hubby for telling me what all of these cars are.  I know the basics, but he is the one with the details!  You will be glad to know that I have reduced his details down - a lot!

Once all the cars had been introduced we went to see some of the animals.  There were only a few to see.  The goats were so much fun, they kept climbing on the straw bale mountain that had been arranged for them, as well as climbing on each other!




The ducks were lovely as well and of great interest to the little children.


That was our day at the County Fair!  It was a nice day out and a good opportunity to get to try out my camera some more.  It is nice to do these very English things from time to time.

I hope that you had a good weekend whatever you were doing.

Amy

44 comments:

  1. What a fabulous country fair and you have just taken me back down memory lane. We visited a very similar fair in Derbyshire once when little J was only about 12 months old, but old enough to love a good tractor and it made for a great day out. I love all your action shots, they are brilliant. I am pleased to see that the weather somehow held it together for you, just what we need over an English bank holiday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shows like this, you can really make a day out if it. It looks like you had a wonderful time & the weather looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a fun day out, Amy, and you took some beautiful photographs. The goats are gorgeous, and I love that Ford Model T. I also really like the line of Massey Fergusons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful day out. My husbands first car was an 850cc mini and the second one was a ford Anglia, he has just enjoyed 5 minutes looking through your photos. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that he enjoyed it!! Probably not what he normally sees if he looks over your shoulder at your blog reading! xx

      Delete
  5. Oooooh I LOVED this!
    I spotted my favourite John Deeres..the dogs looked so excited,the cars reminded me of growing up in the UK, I felt for the owl handler as I've been a hawk handler and sometimes the hawk (Cheyenna) 'misbehaved'...and of course squeeeeeeeeeee for all the animals! Please tell me 'we' had a picnic too!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I miss England... We don't have those types of fairs here in Belgium...
    Lovely photos !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous day out Amy, I love those vintage cars - Ford Anglias, Morris and E-Type Jags remind me of my childhood when you used to see them all the time and now hardly ever. Have a lovely week.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fab day out, there's something there for everyone. It looks like you had the weather for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very fun! Loved the old cars!

    And now I want an owl..just sayin'. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks a fun day out, and I am reminded of the days when I had a little yellow Mini car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were several Mini's, they are so cute to see, we are always happy to see a Mini! Glad that you enjoyed seeing them and had a little trip down memory lane! xx

      Delete
  11. Looks a brilliant day out. One of my first cars was one of those Ford Anglias. It was old but great..... until the door fell off! My all time favourite car is the E-type. Just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that doesn't sound too good! I hope that you were OK even if the car wasn't!! Thank goodness that safety standards have improved. I agree with you about the E-Type! xx

      Delete
  12. I love going to the fair, any fair... I just love them, and this one looks like just my cup of tea! I have to add though, that I have always thought that farming equipment was just downright dangerous! I mean just looking at it makes me want to run in the other direction! My first job was on a farm and I've seen people hurt... Now you think I'm a weirdo don't you? lol... Your photos are lovely, and I do hope you have been keeping well Amy, I have missed my blogging friends and when I'm not able to get around and visit, I always feel as if something is missing!
    I will be in England soon and I do hope we can meet up,
    Much love,
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like a lovely day, Amy. I do enjoy events like this, though there aren't very common where I live now. I would have loved to see those cute goats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these kinds of fairs as there's so much to see. Our favourite is always Fly ball and I'm impressed you managed to get any photos at all as those dogs move so quickly! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, yes, they really are fast aren't they! xx

      Delete
  15. What a lovely day out. Great to see the vintage tractors and cars, I have to drive a tractor at work sometimes and they are a bugger to drive. Aren't the ducks cute?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you had a lovely day out
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love spending Bank Holidays at these sort of events. A perfect mix, I think. I use the sports mode on my camera too. I generally have lots of sky and grass shots to delete when I get home. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great day out and how lucky to have such lovely weather. Your photos are wonderful in showing all aspects of the day's entertainments. I love the goats:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amy, this looks like my perfect day out! You saw lots of great things! My son sound love the tractors, and I think I would too. I'd also like to have a nosy around the vintage cars as they look awesome. I feel a bit sorry for the barn own, something must have spooked him the poor thing. But it is just one of those things, isn't it. The dog relay race looks like great fun, and you got some great shots using sports action. I'll often use that setting when the kids are running around all over the place! It's a great invention. Have a great week, Amy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Amy,
    I love a county show. I have never been to Royal Cornwall yet. I was meaning to rectify it this year, but my plans have been scuppered once more!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lots of lovely photos, as always. I'm rather taken with the red tractors lined up, and I've been in love with morris travellers since I worked with a lady who had one when I was 16! Looks like a fab day out. XX

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely Amy what a fabulous post. Like you I adore tractors and would love to have a go at driving one but only if it is a red one. I used to go on holiday in a Morris Traveller when I was a child and thought it was the bees knees, it looks so small now. My first car was also a Ford Anglia when I was just 19 and it looks tiny - we went to Cornwall and everywhere in this - unbelievable as it was a 7 hour drive then with no motorways. The good old days. I just adore country fairs and cannot wait to go to our first one this year, I get there early and won't leave until they throw us out, there is something so special about the event and the people, especially the WI tent with the fabulous cakes. I really enjoyed all your photographs Amy, thank you for sharing them with us all. Big hugs
    Dorothyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing your day out at the Young Farmers' County Fair. It looked as if everyone had a lot of fun, both visitors and participants, especially the dogs and the owners of the cars as they paraded around. Hope you had a picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would love to be able to explore a nice little fair like this. It sounds like a perfect way to spend the day, misbehaving owl and all.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Amy! Oh this looks like so much fun! What a day you had and thank you for taking me along with you. Thanks also for your sweet comments on The Little House kitchen.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great day!
    Love that afghan...how is yours coming along?
    Enjoy your week my friend!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. sounds and look really fun!! I love your pictures.
    I love Ducks and love pictures them I have made some kitchen towels with them.
    (psst I will make somes to you) betsy have someones I sent lol
    Really I enjoyed!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for your recent comments, I'm glad you have been enjoying my blog :)

    This looks like a fantastic day out, I'm partial to a vintage tractor or two!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is my kind of day! Getting out to enjoy the sunshine and some outstanding pieces of history! My bean boy would LOVE those tractors! He would be absolutely be over the moon to be among so many! I personally like all of those old cars...there is just something about pieces like this from the past that make me feel good! And that blanket is gorgeous! What I would do to be able to make a blanket like this for my home....hmmmm....need to set some goals for myself! Glad that they stopped with Mr. owl....seems as though he was not in the mood! Beautiful shots Amy! Such a lovely outing for you and the hubs! Wishing you a fantastic week! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. My boys loved country fairs when they were little... now they refused to go! So sad.

    (I don't seem to be able to reply to your comments... I get message of 'undeliverable address'... any idea?)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great post, Amy! I loved the Owl Disobedience Display! You can train your animals the best you can but on a BIG DAY they always do what they like :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Now that looks like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you enjoyed it Karen, it was a fun day indeed! Thank you for stopping by as well, I hope that I will see you again. xx

      Delete
  33. That looks like fun Amy, those cars brought back memories. I love a county fair but ours are usually cancelled due to bad weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a great day out, I love going to these kind of things also. Great photos too.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always something to see or do at these events isn't there Marianne. I am glad that you liked the photos! xx

      Delete
  35. I do enjoy going to County shows but unfortunately the Lincoln show is always mid week and number 3 is in school. They do a show later in the year near to the August Bank Holiday which we can get to but it doesn't have all the animals there which is a shame. It's usually in June I'm just hoping the weather improves for them.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a fun day at the fair! I enjoyed this post as it seems so familiar to me (well, except for the many British vintage cars all with right-hand drive!!). I love going to fairs too, but most of ours are in the fall to traditionally celebrate the end of harvest. Love the shots of the dogs in action ;) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sounds like a fab day out and you are right we often don't value what is on our doorstep. Love the haughty owl angling for a raise before working and the cute animals.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx