Thursday, 29 May 2014

Nuffield Place Part 2

I was so glad that you enjoyed Part 1 of our visit to Nuffield Place yesterday, it really is a lovely house - as I said several times! - and does indeed have a very homely feel.  Thank you for your kind comments, really all of the credit goes to the house!
 
Today I will take you around the garden and outside of the house.
 
First of all we stopped off at the garage to see Lady Nuffield's car and this great collection of tax discs from the car - these are a bit like car tags in the USA.  Lady Nuffield's car has only recently returned to Nuffield Place, and it is a Wolsley.
 




We then started our walk to the house through the lovely gardens.  There are so many different plants to see, behind this wall is a work area with a greenhouse and garden tools and plants waiting to be put out into the flower beds.  All sorts of action!



I loved this little pot of Marguerite Daisies, it just looked so pretty and just fitted the spot perfectly. 



Further along there is more shade and the type of plants changes.



The Aquilegias were beautiful and so abundant in their blooms.  I hope that mine start to spread like this as they look so lovely en masse.




This is an MG which was parked outside the front of the house.  If you arrive in a Morris car you can park outside the front of the house if you arrange it before you visit.  Sometimes other historic cars and car clubs visit and they can also park outside the front of the house.


There were lots of Alliums in the gardens all around the house and they were so beautiful and looked lovely in the sunshine.  Once they are all blooming the display must be really stunning.





This is one side of the house with a lovely terrace, sadly though it needs a lot of work as the flagstones that make up the terrace are in poor condition as the roots of trees and plants has made the surface uneven and caused some collapses around the edge.  I am sure that this will all be attended to in due course though.

It was lovely to see this amazing sun clock too.



This is a new pergola and has small climbers planted at the base of each of the posts, so in a few years it will be an even more beautiful sight.  You can see a little more of another terrace below, this is in slightly better condition and is much easier to walk on.



This little pond looks to be in the process of being renovated as there was very little water in it, but with signs of activity around it.



There were so many lovely wrought iron gates all around the house and gardens and I could not resist photographing most all of them as the details on the gates were so pretty.





Originally the gardens were designed by the architect of the house Oswald Partridge Milne, and are very similar in layout now to his original plan.  The gardens are all undergoing renovations with overgrown hedges being removed, the dry stone walls repaired and plantings renovated.




You can see that a lot of work is being put into the gardens, and they are already very pretty, but will be even more stunning in a few years time.  At the moment the bones of the garden are being put in place with the new pergolas and frames for climbing plants and once the actual plants are added the effect will be complete.




This rock garden is undergoing a lot of work and will be a lovely place to visit when it is complete as it is a real suntrap by the house.  The plants will be very happy here.


Plants that are already in place and growing are very happy.  This Cardoon was enormous!



More Alliums!  There were also lots of Welsh Poppies around the gardens too.




There are sweet peas growing up this amazing garden structure, it looks as though it took a lot of work to put together!




You can see some more of the uneven paths and terraces here, the old stones are so lovely though and give a real feeling of having been there for so long and just part of the garden in the most lovely way.


The Wisteria that clad the back of the house was stunning too.  As was this gate.



I especially liked the piece over the top.



Having walked all around the house we started to head back to the car park.



But not before we stopped to admire these pedal cars which are available for children to drive around a track.  There didn't seem to be any takers when we were there, but I am pretty sure that if my hubby had been able to fit them he would have taken them both for a spin around the course!



One thing that surprised me was the quantity of boot scrapers all around the garden.  It didn't occur to me to photograph them all - thank goodness I hear you saying! - but I had to get a picture of this one as it was so unusual.  I have seen these by doors, and even gates sometimes, but never just all around the garden.  It was most unusual I thought.





This brick edging was covered in moss and looked so furry and made you just want to stroke it.



That was the end of our visit as we went back to the car park.  It really was a great visit and somewhere that I would definitely visit again - house and gardens.  If you are ever in the area I strongly recommend a trip there as there is interest for all of the family.

Amy

33 comments:

  1. What a fantastic garden, it looks a great place to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers. I have a Cardoon growing in my garden they get a huge thistle like flower later in the year. I think they are a member of the artichoke family but they are beautiful. I know a young man who would love the cars too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours have never got as far as flowering Mitzi! I look forward to seeing some photos of yours though when they flower! xx

      Delete
  3. Love the gardens! A couple of the house views made me think of houses in France.
    I'd race your hubby to the cars!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The garden looks just as lovely as the house, & what a fab idea to have the little pedal cars in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to explore both the house and garden, it looks a great place to have a wander round. I'll definitely keep it in mind if I'm ever in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I have had another wonderful time enjoying your post. It is on our list to visit if we are ever in the area. Once again thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that both of you have enjoyed these posts! They will probably be a bit thinner on the cars for a while though now! xx

      Delete
  7. Lovely. And good to see it being restored.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful gardens I bet they are stunning in high Summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wouldn't it have been wonderful to actually live in a house like this with wonderful gardens?

    ReplyDelete
  10. One thing I really like about this house is that, although it's definitely pretty sumptuous, it also has more of a homey and lived-in feel than some of the other stately homes I've seen. I really love the exterior, it's almost storybook in character. The garden is beautiful too. I've never seen or heard of a Wolesley (sp?) car before now, so that was something new learned today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you even imagine living in such a beautiful place? All the garden parties, hunts and such. It is a fantastic place with gorgeous gardens. Thank you for taking us along with you on your visit.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a lovely place to visit - I like the green MG (it makes me think of headscarves and sunglasses and martinis)...
    Oh, and you've solved a mystery too. I photographed some big silver leaves last week but didn't know what they were and now I do - cardoons!
    Thank you :)
    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, thanks for stopping by, and for your lovely comment, I totally agree with you about the MG and your daydreams!! Glad to have helped out on the leaf identification!! It is funny what you find out on other peoples blogs isn't it! I hope to see you again sometimes. xx

      Delete
  13. You are so lucky to have such wonderful places to visit in the UK. There's something about the gardens, history and general atmosphere that you don't find here in North America. I love visiting places like these when I am over for a visit. Thanks for the picture tour!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous photos of a stunning garden :-) Thanks for the tour Amy
    Tracey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful garden, it's really lovely. Mine would definitely have been zooming round in those pedal cars. The wisteria is gorgeous, and just the right time of year to see it I think. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This house and garden is definitely on my list to visit when we're in the area. Glad it's now open to the public. I can see it has a charming sense of period full of interesting items in the house and a pretty garden.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am without words at the moment...I am trying to find the words! HOLY COW! The garden just got better and better! Those borders were just outstanding! And I LOVE those poppies...I have not seen those here but maybe I should look online to see if I can order some! And that shot of the blue shutters with the wisteria about knocked me off the bed....seriously! Oh my...you know what my dream job would be...to help work on the restoration projects of these old glorious spaces! I would love to see what they do with that rock garden! Thank you for taking me along Amy! It made my night! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Amy, Wow, amazing photos of the garden :)

    Also I've nominated your blog for the Liebster Award , please pop on over to my blog posts http://emeraldcottage.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/liebster-part-1.html and http://emeraldcottage.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/liebster-part-2.html to see what it's all about :)
    Jillxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing these amazing garden photos. My husband and I enjoy the cars and rocks too.
    What a fun place to visit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful ! Looks like a wonderful place and the old cars are awesome ! Great photos and post , thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  21. That really has the wow factor. I could spend ages wandering around there. The gates are beautiful, and the exterior of the house is gorgeous.
    The car is a stunner. Those tax discs will soon be a thing of the past, and you have just reminded me, I need to renew mine!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So many pretties, Amy! Your photos are all really good, and what a fabulous garden it is. I do love that little pond, with its picture perfect tree, and the gates are gorgeous, and I'm glad you took their picture. I had a boyfriend with an MG once - they were the days!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've really enjoyed part two, Amy - what a gorgeous garden I love all the details in your photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely place and lovely pictures, Amy. I particularly love the sun clock - it's so pretty and useful at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just loved the tour around this beautiful gardens Amy! Your photos were incredible, and you've really captured the essence of a beautiful home. I loved the shot looking up to the wisteria-covered windows through that gate, and also the orange poppy & aged gate close-ups. I hope you continue to visit these lovely places and share them on your blog. You seem to like all the things I like too (fancy gates and mossy bricks!). Wouldn't you just love to spend every day in such a wonderful relaxing atmosphere. Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow the garden looks just as good as the house! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am in love with the Wolseley! Makes me think of "Foyle's War", and is a very good thing indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the tour Amy. Fabulous photos of those glorious gardens. Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful place and thank you for providing the virtual tour.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx