Friday, 9 May 2014

Montacute House

Hopefully you are not getting bored with my travels, but I have another house to show you today!  Again I will not bore you with history - mainly because I confess that we wandered and looked rather than paying attention to the details!  I did buy a guidebook though to read - when I, ahem, get round to it!  If you wish to find out more, you can read about the house on the National Trust website here.

When I visit houses with hubby we tend to just wander and he hopes that we don't have anyone talking to us as otherwise I get into conversation about old houses and start swapping stories which hubby finds very embarrassing, so I try and keep quiet and just look, not talk!

The photos are in the order that I took them going round the house and garden, so they are a bit of a mixture, but hopefully you will get the gist!


This is the outside of the house as you approach it, the only way to get a picture straight on was to walk down the drive and I was too lazy for that!  It used to be the front, but now you go in another way.


There were so many tulips, it was beautiful.  I was hoping to see some amazing arrangements in the house with them, but the weren't any, but it was still lovely to see them en masse in the gardens.




This is the front of the house now, you go in through the lovely arched doorway.




This picture is a bit dark, but I liked the way that the radiator had been stuck in front of the fire!



These two green lions are actually called Dogs of Fo, and are Chinese good luck symbols.  They are generally in pairs, with the female having a cub under her paw and the male having either a money bag or ball under his paw.  So you can see here female on the left and male on the right.


This house has lots of amazing architectural details, plasterwork, niches such as this one and beautiful chimney pieces.



This bath is in a cupboard in a bedroom - an early form of en suite I guess.  I couldn't get a good photo of the whole room as it was rather full of people, but it really is a cupboard in the corner of a great big bedroom with a four poster bed!




At first we thought it was rather odd that these windows had been patched up with lead and replaced as they are not stained glass.  When we went to look closer though we realised that the had writing scratched into the glass which is obviously why it had been preserved.  You couldn't read the writing due to the UV film which has been put onto the glass, but if you zoom into the pictures you can just make out the writing although you cannot read it.





This is the detail in the corner of a leather and stud covered chest, it was very unlike anything that I had seen before.




There is a beautiful collection of samplers in the house and I took lots of photos of them to share with you, but they all came out fuzzy or dark or just generally rubbish apart from this one.  The only answer therefore is a return visit sometime!


This is the long drive at the old front/now back of the house


At the very top of the house there is an amazing long gallery, it houses a selection of portraits of Kings and Queens that are on loan from the National Portrait gallery.  It is a beautiful space, but no photos allowed, although I did sneak this one of the information sign and of a chimney piece when no one was looking!  I know, I should be taken out and shouted at really, but there you go!


Then we came back out of the house and went for a wander round - and not because I had been thrown out for taking pictures!



This Yucca is massive and I bet that it is amazing when it is in bloom.






This was another cloud pruned hedge, it must be a popular feature in the local area as we also saw them at Lytes Cary Manor.


Then we found the tulip cutting garden!  It went on and on and on it seemed.  They were so beautiful, and again I thought it a shame that no arrangements had been made with them for the house.






I love the ones with the frilly edges.


 

Then we had a last look up at the house before heading on our way!  It is another amazing house that is well worth a visit - in my humble opinion!
 
Just a reminder for newer readers in case it seems that I go on about the National Trust a lot.  Well, I do, but I am not paid to do this!  I only write about places that I go to and because I love them and Basildon Park because I work there, but not because I am asked to or because I get anything in return for my writing.  It is just one of my interests that I like to share.  Hopefully that explains things.
 
I have just one post left from our holiday which I will try and share over the weekend, if not, I will be back next week with it.  It is a lovely garden!  Crafting posts seem to have been thin on the ground lately, but at this time of year it is all garden garden garden and spring cleaning round these parts, and I don't suppose that you are interested in seeing what I cleaned in the kitchen or such like!
 
Hope that you all have a great weekend peeps, thanks as always for stopping by and for your lovely comments!
 
Amy

35 comments:

  1. What a wonderful walk along with you. Can you imagine living in a house like that? T he gardens are just divine already I bet they are even better in the summer months. What a wonderful day out....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that all the flower borders look amazing in the summer and when the sun is shining too, I am wanting to go back now!!! xx

      Delete
  2. It is a beautiful building. Thank goodness we have the National Trust, or so many of these huge houses might have been lost. We've been members for years, and have had so many great days out.
    I do like the cloud pruned hedges, I don't think I had ever seen them before your post on Lytes Cary Manor. Oh, to have a cutting garden! This one looks to be the size of my entire garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting lots of ideas for tulips next year. I can just imagine you taking sneaky photo's, did your husband act as lookout? Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Montacute House, we've visited a couple of time. I remember that scenes from Sense and Sensibility were filmed there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's my kind of house: Elizabethan meets medieval gothic, lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to take a visit there someday! xx

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the tour, Amy. I enjoy seeing historic homes and masses of tulips are a wonderful thing!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing all this Amy - it is a very stately place to visit,wonderful architecture, and the gardens are wonderfully laid out. The tulips in the cutting garden are so lovely, it does seems a terrible shame that they can't spare a few for the house without spoiling the display outside!
    We visited here a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it too!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks a lovely place to have visited. The tulips look fantastic. I quite fancy adding some of the frilly edged ones to my garden.
    Hope you have a greet weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous house, and that en suite, I don't know if I'd fancy taking a bath in a cupboard. I love all those different tulips, there's something there to suit most people's tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice place to visit. I really love these old houses. It's hard to imagine that people might still live in places like this. They just seem so huge, and old! I can't believe how old things are there. I remember reading a book about Princess Diana and it discussed the Spencer family's home, parts of it were built in the 1500's or something. Wow. Thanks for sharing, I always love learning more history. Those written-on windows are fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just trying to imagine the cost of running the house as a real household,with a full complement of staff etc.
    Imagine the tales that house could tell!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed the tour as it's just the kind of property we'd choose to visit - we much prefer the older ones. Hey, I just read in my NT handbook that Johnny Depp lay in a bed there - I'm on the first train down! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they didn't mention anything about Johnny Depp, I would have photographed that bed for sure!! xx

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful place Amy, I thoroughly enjoyed my trip around it - ah Britain is steeped in history, how blessed you are to have so many exciting places to visit! I was quite taken with the 'mended' window and actually could read a couple of words when zoomed in - lovely writing too! And how about the bath in the cupboard - ensuites way back then! Thank you Amy! Love, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Amy,

    What a magnificent house and many thanks for showing us around. Loved all the pretty gardens and tulips.
    Happy weekend
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful house to visit, Amy, and thank you for sharing your great photos. The architectural details are very appealing - love the white mouldings, and the bath-in-a-cupboard. But the garden wall really has my attention, with that gorgeous oriental little building in the corner, and what appears to be a fountain nearby along the wall. I wonder what the little building was used for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved all the plaster detailing too, it was all around the house in so many rooms, and very attractively done too. So, will you be having a bathroom in a cupboard anytime soon I wonder - hee hee!! xx

      Delete
  16. I love the house and I love the pictures are beautiful Amy!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a stunning place, exactly the kind of house and garden I like to visit. That cloud pruned hedge is wonderful. I'm glad you had such a good time. I hope you have a lovely weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Amy
    Thank you for such a great tour of this incredible Elizabethan house!
    I can't imagine living in anything so huge....
    The gardens are quite magnificent too, as is the conservatory and the cloud hedge - wow!
    But my favourite part is the embroidery sampler.
    I love the history behind these beautiful works of art - the colours of the silk or wool are still wonderfully bright.

    I'm now following you Amy and hope to see more of your travels in future posts!
    Enjoy your weekend.

    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  19. Montacute is a wonderful house - I visited last year, and particularly loved its stone stairways, and the gallery at the top of the house showing the amazing collection of royal paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The long gallery is amazing isn't it Rosemary, and so are the paintings displayed there, I could just imagine walking up and down in there on rainy days in a long flowy dress! I know, wayyyy overactive imagination! xx

      Delete
  20. This is an amazing place. I visited a number of posh on Rhode Island and the detail is wonderful. Love the bathroom closet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love seeing all the sights you share, Amy! I feel I've been neglecting you, not commenting. Just know I'm still reading and following along with you. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely house! I love the tulip borders and the bath in a cupboard and I enjoyed learning about the Dogs of Fo:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amy,
    Amazing is a good description. Love the pictures.Great house. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful place, always love to see the garden design in these places as it's on such a grand scale. I think the way the windows have been repaired/preserved is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are a woman after my own heart Amy! If a conversation can be struck when in a beautiful historic building then I'll be there and my family will just leave me to it. However, why oh why do some places not let you photograph rooms or in fact, the whole visit? It actually makes me boycott buying the guide. So, well done you on being a rebel and taking a couple of cheeky shots :-) Have a wonderful weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ok...Did I mention in my last comment that your photos are stunning! You should start taking pictures for a living because you have such an eye! You really captured this house beautifully! And those tulips against that green are just brilliant! I want to go there! I feel relaxed after reading your post...just such stunning place! A wonderful weekend to you Amy! Hugs! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Amy I love that hedge and I'm so glad you included it among your stunning photos... as I was reading/looking at your post I was thinking I hope I see the hedge :-) I use to live near there for awhile and love visiting the house and garden and nearby Ham Hill.... ahhh.
    Tracey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow - those tulips are gorgeous, I don't think I have ever seen so many colours together Amy. Montacute looks like a great place to visit. We have similar near us and I love having a look around, especially at all the detail inside the houses. It is fascinating to think that people actually lived there once! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful pictures it is a long time ago since we last visited here. The tulips look so good. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx