Thursday, 22 May 2014

Garden love

Right now I am not able to get into the garden, it is raining torrentially here.  It was raining so hard earlier that I could hear the rain over the radio.  Our driveway is now looking a bit flooded as it has rained so much in one go.  Within a few minutes of it stopping it will all disappear though.

Sadly the plants in the garden are now looking a bit battered having been rained on like this, but the water will do them no harm and they will recover and bloom again or new things will come to take their place.

Actually I am glad in a way as I have so much to do indoors and the rain will keep me there working rather than taking a cup of tea and going to sit outside which is what I would love to do on a normal sunny afternoon.

I have a new camera and have become obsessed with taking photos of the flowers in the garden.  So this is what has been and is growing and blooming in the garden right now and since my last big garden post.  Sorry about the large number of pictures, I have edited and edited and come down from about 250 photos to this 60 or so!

I hope that you enjoy them.



I love to see the leaves opening up and unfolding on the Hornbeam hedge.  It is quite big now and will need its first proper cut later on this year.  Up to now we have just trimmed it here and there with secateurs but this year it will be the hedge trimmer I think!  Hornbeam makes a great hedge I think as it holds on to its leaves as a Beech hedge would, but I prefer the pleated leaves of the Hornbeam.


The Weigela is blooming beautifully.  I love the masses of blooms that come every year.


This years grapes are starting to form on the grapevine, just tiny little dots at this stage, but they will grow and grow - and the rain today will help that!



This years new pelargoniums are already blooming beautifully.


The start of an allium bloom.



This year the Rhododendron did very well, I had cut it back a couple of years ago and it seems to have been worth it.



I know that I have already shared the Dicentra (Bleeding Heart) with you, but you can always take another shot right!


It seems as if everything is putting out new shoots right now.



This Cistus only allows us to enjoy a few flowers at a time although it is a very large shrub.  I have decided that after it finishes blooming this year it will have to be taken out.  The shrub is so large it takes up a huge area in the border and although the blooms are stunning I don't think that it is earning a place in the border given the space that it takes up.  So I will remove it, and plant another one somewhere else that where it can grow as large as it likes and then I can use the space in the border for other things.










The last bluebell in the garden for this year.  They will come back again though.





If you see the large green ball at the end of the border that is the Cistus that I talked about earlier, you can see what I mean about the size of it.


The lavender has loads of buds coming along so I hope that it will be spectacular again this year.  The bees and insects love to spend the summer visiting.


There are still beautiful red berries on the Nandina Domestica (Sacred Bamboo), and there will be flowers again soon.


My geraniums are all starting to flower, I keep adding more each year as I love them so much and they are starting to spread themselves around as well which is great.


I know that I have already show you the Irises, but you all enjoyed them so much, here are some more shots!








More Weigela shots!



Just one solitary flower on this Clematis, I am going to get some manure to put round the base to try and encourage it to grow more and I have been feeding it too.








The Allium opening up a little more, and then finally starting to bloom as you can see below!



This rose is looking spectacular.  A few years ago it was very unhappy and I started to train it up the fence in a more organised fashion, and now it is so much happier and produces far more flowers than before.  Both rose and I are happy now!









Now that I have finished writing the rain has stopped and the sun is trying to come out, it is too wet to sit in the garden, but I think that I have earned a cup of tea now!

I hope that you are enjoying whatever is blooming in your garden, local park, or just on the roadside as you go about your day.

Amy

50 comments:

  1. It's been raining heavily here, too, but I rather enjoy being out in a good downpour (just as long as my feet stay dry!). Love the garden pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that after the rain smell, all fresh in the air! xx

      Delete
  2. Amy your garden is looking beautiful and as for that cistus flower - gorgeous. I love seeing everything returning as I tend to forget about half of the things I squash in the year before and then get a lovely surprise. Your rose is doing very well - ours are just starting to get tiny buds so we've got a way to go to catch up. As for the weather - we seem to have missed the heavy downpours but just had the leaden skies and drizzle - I was looking forward to a good old thunderstorm! Off to take a peek outside while I still can x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a wonderful lush green and colorfoul garden Amy! We have 30 Celcious at the moment, it's too hor for the season...Thanks for this lovely garden tour , thank you for your nice words and enjoy your cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all look fabulous Amy, I need a new camera if I stopped spending all my money on yarn & fabric I might be able to get one, or hint heavily instead perhaps. Weather has been dire here too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is so pretty. What sort of camera have you got now - the photos are really clear and the colours great. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have had thundery downpours and hail today, it serves me right for posting about the good weather we were enjoying!
    Your garden is looking lovely, so much to see. It is interesting how things are flowering at slightly different times to mine. I usually go out first thing when I get up and do an inspection, I think I stand there willing things to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pictures and very lovely garden. We too have had heavy rain followed by sunshine. XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful garden, its raining heavily here too. My garden once again is flooded at the bottom, hopefully it will soon drain away. I think I will join you with a nice cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a beautiful garden you have! And I truly enjoyed looking at your beautiful photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie, glad that you enjoyed it. xx

      Delete
  10. Hey Amy,
    Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I love seeing the overall shots of other peoples gardens. How they are constructed. What kind of shrubs and flowers and trees and other plants are there. So nosey!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with a nosey round someone elses garden, it isn't as though I was hiding it from you all!! I love to see other peoples gardens too! One of the reasons that I like blogs like yours!!! xx

      Delete
  11. Lovely pictures your garden is gorgeous Amy, you have so many beautiful flowers. My roses are starting to bud but no flowers yet and my vine is just beginning to get some leaves, I had edible grapes last year for the first time just tiny one's and they had pips but I ate them just the same We have had rain here too today and it's cold so my poor border still needs weeding, hopefully I will get some done this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've had thunderstorms here in Essex too Amy and now the sun is shining again and yes everything is looking a tad bedraggled but oh so lush again. Your photos do your garden justice, they are stunning.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is looking splendid! We had our torrential rain overnight. When I woke up this morning a lot of stuff was flat but gradually it picks itself back up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how it all fluffs up again, I am just a bit miffed about losing my oriental poppies so soon! xx

      Delete
  14. Amy! Your garden is so PRETTY!!!!!!! I am at a loss for words which totally doesn't happen often but boy....those shots (again your photography!) are amazing! The blooms that are greeting your garden and the foliage of your plants like those pleated leaves are magnificent!!! And your flower beds are so lush and full! I would say you have magic growing where you are! Keep these coming...I can not wait to see more as the season keeps moving! BEAUTIFUL! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is a wonderful time of year, and everything including your garden is looking beautiful. A shame that you have to remove the Cistus, the blooms are so petty.
    By the way I can definitely see an improvement in your photos, they are much sharper and clearer - good camera choice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well it all looks blooming lovely! The rain has battered my poppies that had just opened up!! Go away rain!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain - I have the same situation! Not fair is it!! xx

      Delete
  17. Your garden is so much further on than ours! I love the photo of the Bleeding Heart. Our lavender is looking good too - although I still have quite a lot of last year's crop left!
    We had a lot of rain overnight and this morning, but it dried up this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your experiments with your camera! Your garden and plants look fantastic! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your garden is lovely Amy :-) Great photos too
    Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. My daughter has just this second asked why was it hot and sunny and now it's all rainy.....because we live in the UK, I replied....I think she's planning to emigrate! Your garden is looking lush and very pretty :) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. We've had heavy downpours here too on and off all day. The paths near our pond are underwater again and my lovely peonies are drooping or dashed. Your garden is looking lovely, Amy with so many pretty flowers:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have so much variety in your garden, Amy. I'm glad you've been enjoying photographing the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The textures of your beautiful flowers and greens come through so wonderfully in your photography. Just gorgeous! I am sorry that I have been a silent commenter as of late. I feel that I should go back and comment on every one of your recent posts...they have been so wonderful. I especially loved your 10 Random Things and the Pavlova! I love Pavlova. My first one ever was made by a Kiwi living in the States. MMMmmmm!!!! I found a recipe that is supposed to be good for the altitude, so now I'm going to HAVE to try it. Thank you, Sweet Friend, for your comments on my blog. *Hugs* :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't ever worry about reading or commenting, do what you can as and when you can/want to! I hope that you have fun making your own Pav! xx

      Delete
  24. I love Hornbeam too Amy; I wish I'd never planted any Beech in our hedge. It STILL isn't out whereas the Hornbeam was thriving over a month ago. We had that rain all morning too. Not good for the delicate plants....x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have one Beech in amongst the Hornbeam it is always takes ages for the leaves to come! It makes it look very odd. It blends in eventually! I hope that your hedge is out soon! xx

      Delete
  25. What a lovely tour around your garden. I have lots of similar plants but up here, they're nowhere near flowering. One day hot and sunny, next day grey and grim and cold! Did you know that Dicentra is known as 'Victorian Lady in Her Bath'? If you turn the flower upwards and pull it apart slightly, you will spot her doing her ablutions!Honestly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your garden is looking blooming! So much colour, and everything looking so neat and pretty! You have so many of my favourites too - cistus, weigela, roses, rhodedendrons....all look so lovely.
    Thanks for sharing Amy!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. The camera takes such amazing shots!
    Your garden is gorgeous, I can see why you love it so much.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a lovely variety of plants......just lovely!
    Great job Amy....
    Cheers!
    Linda:o)

    ReplyDelete
  29. It certainly did rain yesterday didn't it? I have a stack of garden jobs to do and am looking forward to having the time now. Lovely shots of all the colour growing in your space x

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's always like this with a new camera - one just can't stop taking photos. And especially when you have such a stunning garden. I was glad to see your pictures of roses, I had hoped you had them in your garden. And they are really beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fabulous photos Amy - having a great camera makes all the difference. Here's hoping for a sunnier Bank Holiday, have a good one X

    ReplyDelete
  32. A new camera, lucky you, and your photos are beautiful, you clearly have the hang of it already. I really like being inside and getting things done when it rains as well - I don't feel so torn between inside jobs and outside jobs. I hope you have a good weekend, keep snapping! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, what beautiful photos, and such a lovely garden you have. The first photo of the leaves, I feelI could actually touch them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Hornbeam, they do indeed feel amazing when you touch them. I wish that I could send you one, but it would be crispy by the time it arrived and not so much fun! xx

      Delete
  34. Lovely photos, and lucky you getting a new camera, what did you get? I got one last year but I'm still working out how to use it. Your garden is looking wonderful, so many beautiful blooms. We had torrential rain yesterday, I think it's in for the weekend in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sunning photos- definitely worthy of an horticultural Catalogue :) Great that you have a new camera- i hope you have fun playing with it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful pictures, Amy! It is fun to try out a new camera, and you have lots and lots of lovely plants growing in your pretty garden to do just that! Wishing you a happy weekend and some dry weather to enjoy your camera and your flowers.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my gosh, those Bleeding Hearts are divine things!!! What a beautiful garden you have Amy, such an amazing variety of flowers. Enjoy your new camera :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amy your garden and all it's flower is so lovely. You must enjoy seeing the new things blooming every day. Have a lovely weekend. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Amy, I am just catching up with your blog posts and can I just say how much I enjoyed looking at your photos! Your garden looks amazing at it is very clear to me that a lot of hard work has gone into getting it to look that way. I am so impressed! I know what you mean about the rain, it is still like that here today and I am getting a bit sick of it now. It is heartbreaking when you go outside and see the rain has made all of the petals fall off your flower. Can you believe my little girl took the head off one of my alliums! It's very strange as she never does this and she is very, very good - but she just had the urge and off it went! I know she regretted it afterwards and felt really sorry. Luckily I have a few more left. :) We have Weigela too, this is the first year it has flowered so I am very happy! Your roses look fab. Keep up the good work Amy, and keep sharing your photos - they are inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh Sarah! How funny that your little one did that, the attraction to grab it must have been just too great for her. The Weigela will just get better each year now it is flowering for you! Thanks for your lovely thoughts, you are so very kind. xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, I have serious garden envy! You have a lovely garden and so many beautiful flowers in bloom. I'd love to grow roses but never have any success with them for some reason. Lots of rain here too but, like you, I actually welcome it as it means I can catch up with other things. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't have envy Julie! It is only the result of hard work and has taken 10 years to get to this point so you can get there too one day! I have no tips for roses I am afraid, we have some that do well, others that are frankly pretty awful! I feel your pain though because of that! xx

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx