Friday, 30 May 2014

Five on Friday

My Five on Friday is a little different this week.  Following the death of Maya Angelou I reflected on one of her famous quotes and went looking for others written by her.  Here are 5 of those that I found to be very inspiring and why.  I found these quotes here.

1.  “I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”  

This is of course probably one of Maya Angelou's most famous quotes, often quoted by Oprah Winfrey.  This was the quote that I first thought of and which set me off to look for other words of wisdom by Angelou.

I try to bear this in mind when looking back at things I did in the past.  I cannot change the past, but I can strive to do better and be better in the future.  When I look back at some of my blog posts I wish that I had written them better, or said different things - or not said them! - but I cannot change those and although I could delete them that would be dishonest and would not show the truth of the past.  I can and will do better in the future as I learn.  Not by simply pressing the delete button.

2. “When someone shows you who they are believe them; the first time.”  

This was a revelation for me when I read it.  So many times I have ignored this.  I am someone who believes what people tell me and as I always try to see the good in others and to be kind and caring and most of all honest with others, I assume that they are, and will be, the same.

Sadly however, I have been proved wrong in this.  In future I will try and remember that the first time they show me that they are not what I would want them to be I will indeed believe that they are that way.  I will also steer a wide berth around them if at all possible.

3. “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.”  

Another great lesson indeed.  I have definite control freak tendencies.  I need to learn to let things go a lot more and to relax.  These are perhaps the most valuable of these words of Maya Angelou that I could learn today.

4. “Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option.”  

Being someone whose natural instinct is to care for and love others I can indeed spend a lot of time with my focus in the wrong direction.  I have very recently made someone a priority, at times to the exclusion of all else, including myself.  However, I came to realise that they did not care that I was doing this, and that my actions were making no difference to that person.  The only person affected was me, and not in a good way.

I am not an option, if you want me, you want me.  If not, that is fine, but you will therefore only become an option to me to be fitted into what I want and need.

5. “Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”  

What inspiring words these are.  So often it feels as though all we can do is survive, we are drowning in the events of everyday life and what is going on around us.  I love the idea that thriving is elegant.  I will strive to thrive with elegance!

I could of course have chosen many other quotes for many other reasons, but these were the first five that I came across that really spoke to me.

I hope that you are never an option to anyone, that you will thrive with elegance and never be reduced by anyone.

Amy

34 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this post Amy, some great and wonderful word of wisdom. Such a sad loss
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't really know very much about Maya Angelou. I'd heard Oprah speak about her and I'd seen her on one or two of her shows but that's all. She sounds like a very wise lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness what a great post. I think definitely quotes 3 and 4 apply to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just loved this post Amy :) These quotes are beautiful and reflective on so many things going on in your life. It's so nice that they have given you a positive outlook. I particularly like No. 4 & 5! But all of them are so very true when we come up against different people in our lives. I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead of you and that the sunshine we are having here today will shine down on you as well. Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. She had such wisdom, and I think we can all relate to some of her quotes. I find her books very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A really fabulous post with real food for thought. I think many of us can really take some of this and apply it to our every day lives with a little more thought! I hope you have a lovely weekend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, I love the five quotes you chose. Thank you for sharing them and your thoughts with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing these five quotes. Each one is filled with an incredible amount of truth and wisdom. She had a unique way of doing that with the words she used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such wise words - as I see everyone has written. I might print this out, and put it on the fridge as a daily reminder! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Number 3 and 4 - I will remember those in particular x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful quotes, she showed great wisdom. Have agreat weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Amy,
    I am struck by her last quote. It reminds me of the Stevie Nicks poem "Not Waving But Drowning" for some reason, as this poem is probably an opposite to the saying. I have very often identified myself with that poem. I know that I should aim to thrive rather than survive. I have written it down. Thank you.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amy! Oh, these are some great quotes. This lady was so wise and rally had a way with words. Thank you for sharing them with us. I really appreciate your popping in to see me and hope you have a wonderful weekend.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a wonderful collection, Amy. I am inspired by her words and your application of them. Number 4 is one I struggle with and need to remember more....
    I wish you a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing these quotes and thoughts today.
    God bless your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They're all very important lessons. One and two are the closest to my heart and I've lived by them for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh she was such an inspiration, and her words and wisdom will live on.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was indeed a sad loss, it's a very reflective post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous post, I do love to read inspirational quotes. XX

    ReplyDelete
  20. My Lovely Amy you are such an inspiration - your wonderful post really made me think about things - like you I tend to believe in the best in everyone and always try to help others, only to find sometimes that they actually do not care that much and just walk all over me. It is so hurtful but we learn to fight another day and carry on even though the tears are stinging at the back of our eyes. Your wonderful post really touched me Amy and I will carry this with me - thank you from the bottom of my heart. All my love as always, Dorothyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely post, I watched Maya on Oprah's shows when it was on terrestrial TV, she was such a wonderful lady.
    This post of yours is inspiring, thank you for it.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brilliant post Amy, and so inspiring to read Maya Angelou's best quotes all of which really resonate with me. I have seen the first couple before, but the power of 4 and 5 have really hit me! I will write them all down and put them up on my pin board. Always enjoyed when I have seen her on television; what a wonderful human being she was.

    ReplyDelete
  23. #2 resonates with me,along with "when you see crazy coming,cross the street!".
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was an AWESOME post! She was an outstanding example of what it means to live in peace...Maya Angelou is someone that did good for our world as your quotes showed and we are better for her presence on this earth. I think about that sometimes.....will I be able to make the world a little better before I go??? Thank you for reminding me about doing better and honoring a fantastic soul! A lovely weekend to you friend! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. A wonderful post, the last two got me. She certainly was a wise lady. I only discovered her a year ago, well her quotes, she will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Maya Angelou was an inspiring women, but also very compassionate and humble - her voice speaks to so many of us, and will continue to do so through her words and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an inspiring post Amy. I have come here and discovered you via your comment on Alice's post this morning. I'm so pleased that I did.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very inspiring, such great quotes and she had so many words of wisdom. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful words from a great lady. Thank you so much for sharing them, Amy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely post Amy, with some wise and wonderful quotes from this great lady. Thanks for sharing
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love Maya Angelou...she had such wonderful wisdom. I love her poetry, too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've heard of Maya Angelou but never read anything I can remember of her's. These are wonderful quotes and No4 is really something I need to work at. I must make some time to look into her work as she sounds like a very inspirational lady.

    ReplyDelete
  33. A lovely post Amy, with much food for thought ... thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yes! I love these quotes, so very wise and very true! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx