Sunday, 8 December 2013

Second Sunday of Advent

Today is the second Sunday of Advent. So today we light the second candle of our advent candles.


The colour of this candle is purple, symbolizing the majesty of Christ, whose throne will endure forever.


There are several traditions about the meaning or theme of each candle. The scheme that accords best with the Common Worship Principal Service Lectionary for the second Sunday of Advent is The Prophets


Today we also pray for Peace.

For a child has been born for us, an heir given to us.
Authority rests upon the shoulders of the One who is named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace, whose authority shall grow continually;
and there shall be endless peace for the throne of David and for David's kingdom, established and upheld with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore.
The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.

Isaiah 9:6-7
********************
After the very sad news on Thursday night of Nelson Mandela's death, I listened to and watched much of the coverage about his life, work and amazing achievements.

I heard this song on the radio, Something Inside So Strong by Labi Siffre, which was inspired by some of the dreadful events that took place during apartheid.

I share some of the lyrics of this song here which are so very apt.

The higher you build your barriers
The taller I become
The farther you take my rights away
The faster I will run
You can deny me
You can decide to turn your face away
No matter, cos there's....

Something inside so strong
I know that I can make it
Tho' you're doing me wrong, so wrong
You thought that my pride was gone
Oh no, something inside so strong

The more you refuse to hear my voice
The louder I will sing
You hide behind walls of Jericho
Your lies will come tumbling
Deny my place in time
You squander wealth that's mine
My light will shine so brightly
It will blind you

Brothers and sisters
When they insist we're just not good enough
When we know better
Just look 'em in the eyes and say
I'm gonna do it anyway


Because there's something inside so strong
And I know that I can make it
Tho' you're doing me, so wrong
You thought that my pride was gone
Oh no, something inside so strong
Oh oh oh oh oh something inside so strong


********************
So, today as we pray for peace and think about the Prophets on the second Sunday of Advent, it seems appropriate to think also about the life and work of Nelson Mandela.  The peace that he fought for so peacefully through his entire life.

********************


I'm joining Floss in Pausing for Advent.  You can find Floss's blog here, and she details the other pausers in her sidebar, please go and join them and read what other bloggers are doing to Pause for Advent.

Amy

26 comments:

  1. Very appropriate to remember such a great man on the second Sunday of Advent. A lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some how it just seemed to fit together Jo. xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely post and photos ! Thanks for sharing . Have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, hope you have a wonderful day too. xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hope you are having a good weekend Kate. xx

      Delete
    2. I love your linking of Mandela and prophets and peace. Thank you x

      Delete
    3. The prophets and peace are the themes for this week for me in Advent, they just fitted so well with Nelson Mandela, it just seemed right to put it all together somehow. xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely thoughtful post Amy. Have a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, hope that you have a lovely week too. xx

      Delete
  5. It feels as though we have lost the world's grandfather.
    A lovely post,Amy.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does Jane, it is so sad, but he was a great age. xx

      Delete
  6. A very thoughtful post. The second candle is lit and Peace is what Mandela left behind, let's hope he has found peace also. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that he has found great peace indeed Chel. xx

      Delete
  7. A thoughtful and inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amy,
    We talked about Nelson Mandela at school and I could tell the eleven and twelve year old kids could not quite get their minds around his life and his work. I'm glad you posted about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way I hope that this is a really hard concept for children to understand, because that would mean that the world has changed so much it is not possible for them to comprehend the things that went on in the world decades ago. xx

      Delete
  9. A truly lovely and heartfelt post, Amy - thanks too for sharing this song. I grew up in South Africa and feel such a sadness for the passing of such an amazing man. He truly taught us what forgiveness and grace really is.
    Have a lovely week ahead,
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really sure what to say Gilly! Thank you for your lovely comment, it has moved me greatly. xx

      Delete
  10. I got the chills from your post friend. How appropriate to have this outstanding man be the emphasis of Advent today. Thank you for reminding us what the season is truly about and how we can do better as a people. I wish you all the best in the week ahead Amy....Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you thought it was appropriate Nicole. Hope that you have a good week too. xx

      Delete
  11. I'm just catching up as I've decided to do less blogging at the moment. Peace to you, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you have a peaceful advent and Christmas if I don't "hear" from you before then Linda. xx

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx