Sunday, 13 October 2013

What a difference a day makes

Gosh, what a difference a day in the garden can make.


We got the leaves and apples raked up - yes, it will need to be done again, but little and often (well, quite a lot and often, but you get the picture!).

 
 

Table and chairs put away - it has rained since, causing the puddle!


Ornaments collected and put in the shed, and the lights and all sorts of other things.  Precious pots put away.  Plastic pots sorted and tidied up.


I cleared the veg beds of the last few stragglers and we put the bird table in one.


I "planted" the things from the precious pots I put away.  No idea if they will survive or not, but if I don't try, they certainly won't.  I thought that if I put them here I could wrap them in fleece when it gets really cold.  I don't have a cold frame, and there is no room at the inn (shed), so this will have to do!

Still in their pots

 

In the bed

 

Cutting back happened to tidy things up.


The lavender hedge got it's annual haircut.  From this

 
To this


The bench and table moved onto the patio in case we want to have a sit out before it gets toooooo cold!  The chiminea has gone away, but we can soon take the cover off if we want to sit out on bonfire night!

 

We wanted to make sure that our new table was alright over the winter and we don't have a cover for it, so we took the top off and put it in the shed and stored the base.


Umbrellas stored away - 'cause let's face it, there is no way it is going to be hot enough now to need to sit under an umbrella!  No more barbeques either.


Rocky is staying out though - he is a hardy (!) soul.


Pumpkin is waiting to go out on the step for Halloween.


We also got some real actual pumpkins to decorate the front step with - we are not pumpkin carvers in this house! - no more crysanthamum's at the garden centre though, but we got this pretty pot of flowers instead.


There are still some lovely mums in the garden though.


The grapes are ripe, but I ran out of time to pick them yesterday and today it is raining, so they will have to wait for a dry day.

 

The mushrooms are loving this weather.  I'm not loving the mushrooms however!


There are lots of berries around at the moment, the birds will be happy.

 
 
 

Still lots to be done, but I have ticked lots of things off my October List!!

Amy

24 comments:

  1. I spent a couple of hours in the garden yesterday too. It was lovely and warm, pottering around tidying up. Today however, is a different story! Cold, wet and windy from the moment we woke up! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definately colder today Sara, and very wet here. Hopefully it will bed my plants in though. Glad you had a nice day in the garden yesterday, it was definately the best day of the weekend!

      Delete
  2. Hello, Amy

    You have been busy. My garden needs a good tidy-up session sometime this week. I hope your plants like their new homes.

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope that you get out in the garden soon Karen, it is nice to get sorted out isn't it. I think that the rain today should do the plants some good - I hope!

      Delete
  3. You have been busy Amy, but it' a job well done, and another from your list.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene, and as you say, more ticked off the list - yay!!

      Delete
  4. It's a bit gloomy on this side of the pond today. Do you really not eat pumpkin pie in the UK? I remember years ago making one in Geneva, Switzerland from "scratch" to try and impress friends and forgot to put the sugar in...quite the disaster.
    In the meantime, you are festive with your garden cleaning and decorating. A bit under the weather here yet, so will have all of this to look forward to when I resurface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no pumpkin pie over here, mainly because of no thanksgiving! Sorry that you are feeling under the weather, I hope that you get to feeling better soon. Take care of yourself and stay tucked up in the meantime. Amy xx

      Delete
  5. A very busy day for you, but garden looks lovely
    Sally xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been busy in your garden Amy, we spent time out in the garden too yesterday! Those grapes look amazing!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it was the best day to get outside Sarah, especially if your weather today was like ours has been!

      Delete
  7. You certainly have been busy. And the grapes look fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am waiting until it is a bit drier and then I will pick the grapes and try and make some jelly - aggghhh - very scared as I have never done anything like that before!

      Delete
  8. Your garden never ceases to amaze me! And don't be afraid of jelly - it is soooo much easier than you think, but looks mighty impressive! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Chrissie, I trust you, so I will believe that the jelly will be OK! I'm sure that I will let you know, however it turns out... xx

      Delete
  9. Those grapes look so good! So much colour in the garden still, and I love that you have got those fantastic-shaped pumpkins. We don't have them here, but maybe I am looking in the wrong places. Halloween is not celebrated widely here, but I think it is gaining in popularity where we live. I'm looking forward to trick or treating with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that it is the wrong time of year in NZ for pumpkins, more of an autumn thing. What about some papier mache ones - you are so creative and crafty!! I hope that your girls don't offer to show their washing line trick for trick or treating... xx

      Delete
  10. You got so much done!!!! WOW!!! Your grapes, and your front porch are lovely!!! Your entire garden is still full of so much life! Mine is covered with leaves!!! Such beauty here friend...have an outstanding week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind Nicole! I can sympathise on the leaves, we have two oak trees and an apple tree the same size. Have fun raking up your leaves!! Have a great week too xx

      Delete
  11. You have been very busy! Love that pumpkin!
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne, he lives in a flower border for most of the year so he loves it when he gets to come out and play at halloween!

      Delete
  12. Will your geraniums last outdoors in the winter???
    I have mine potted up, and will over-winter in the house...
    Just need to give them a good spray with the Raid...and then in they come!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They might last, especially if I wrap them in fleece when it gets really cold. Depends if we get snow or not. Sometimes they last, sometimes not, depends on the weather gods. No where to put them in the house, all my surfaces are covered and we only have tiny window ledges, so they are no use. They have to take their chances in the garden! xx

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx