Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Vintage style cushions

A few weeks ago hubby and I rescued this fabric from hubby's family home.  It is genuine from the 1950's, and indeed, the rest of it is still hanging as a pair of curtains.  Not in a vintage style way, but because those were the curtains that were made for the space way back when and there they still hang.


The fabric is a very coarse weave, so I don't know what it was made for originally, I assume that it was for curtains, but I'm not sure.  It made it hard to work with though, because as soon as you cut it, it starts to unravel.


There wasn't really enough to do much with, but I thought that some cushions for the lounge might be an idea.  Now, I am not really great at sewing, I can do straight lines and basics, but definitely not zips!


I love my sewing machine though, it is older than me, and used to be my Mum's.  When I was little it did all sorts of fancy stitches, but now it only does straight stitch.  Oh well, that is all I need really.


So... rather than make some from scratch cushions to begin with, I decided to some some applique.  I found these two felt cushions and set to.


Taking inspiration from the little birds on the fabric, here is the first one!


I haven't done the more usual way of doing applique these days of using bondaweb, instead, I did it the old fashioned way of stitching round the shape, turning the edges under as I went, and then adding the decorative stitching afterwards.


Add some little button eyes, and voila, a couple of old birds....


For the other cushion I decided to go with one big bird.



I have some grey fabric leftover from my little curtain addition, so I might do another cushion with the vintage fabric on the front and the grey on the back.  I need to get a cushion first though!



Don't they look at home on the sofa!

 
*******************

I also wanted to share a little bit of loveliness with you.

Yesterday, while I was hauling the furniture around the lounge and cleaning and putting everything back into place after the decorating the doorbell went.

I hesitated to see if a small card would come through the letterbox or perhaps some junk mail.  Nothing.  The bell went again, so it wasn't a meter reader or someone trying to sell me double glazing.  I already have double glazing by the way!

I answered the door to find my neighbour with a big bag of enormous apples inside.  She has lovely apples growing on her tree, not like the acidic marbles that grow on ours.  I have been coveting her apples from over the fence.

My lovely neighbour made no mention of the falling down fence, did not ask when it would be repaired.  Nothing.

She just handed over the apples and said goodbye.

How lovely is that.

Now, I will have to get my apple gogger going, but that is a whole other story.

I do love apples, but not as much as lovely neighbours!!

*******************

Re the missing pictures from yesterday's curtain post, I have no idea where they went.  They were there on my computer, there in picasa, but not on anyone else's computer!  Weird especially as some showed, some not.  Anyway, I have done a re do of the post, so if you want to see my horrid old curtains or the great big gap at the bottom of the new ones, click back to the previous post and the pictures (should ha!) be there.....
 
Amy

30 comments:

  1. You clever duck! You have done such a great job with the cushions. I am green with envy over that material! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that you would love it! Wish that I lived closer so that I could join the travelling linen stash, I bet it will have some great things in it. xx

      Delete
  2. Terrific cushions, and don't they look lovely on the sofa with your new curtains behind! And lucky you with your lovely generous neighbour, what will you make with the apples I wonder... Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear probably stewed apples for the freezer is what I will make! Although I might try some sort of appley cake perhaps. xx

      Delete
  3. The fabric is very cute and I like how you made up the little birds. They'll match those new curtains! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, the plan was to try and coordinate with the curtains - I'm not just a pretty face ha! xxx

      Delete
  4. You know my pictures disappeared from a couple of my posts a while back and I have no idea where they went either!?! Strange!!! On to your lovely pillows!! They are outstanding! I absolutely am in love with them! In fact you have given me some ideas for Christmas friend! And the fabric is amazing! Well done indeed! And as for the apples...that is the stuff that makes life sweet! All the best tomorrow friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you have been inspired Nicole I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with! I agree the apple gift is exactly the sort of thing that makes life sweet. xxx

      Delete
  5. Your cushions look great! That was a very clever way to use the fabric and spruce them up at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I think making all new cushions would have actually been easier than your applique work! Good grief woman. Yeah You! That is amazing. I love the blanket stitch and the finished product is fabulous. Call Mollie Makes immediately! :) Well done Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about disassembling the cushions to use the back (and the zip!) and then just sewing the vintage fabric on as the front, but the fabric was so flimsy I thought this might be better. Envelope backs on any future cushions me thinks!! xxx

      Delete
  7. Your cushions are brilliant and your new found fabric is gorgeous.
    Sally xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic fabric, and I love how you've used it. Well done x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely fabric, and what a good idea following the design for the applique.
    Our neighbour gave me some apples a couple of weeks ago. I baked and baked until I was sick of the sight of apples! The results were appreciated though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that if you have apples this year, boy do you have a lot! They are so good though. Just off to start the apple gogging process!! xx

      Delete
  10. I wish I could sew!
    Cushions look fantastic. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that you have lots of talents Sara! Glad you like the cushions. xx

      Delete
  11. Those cushions are amazing, I love the bird designs and fabric. I'm so impressed with your applique, especially love the large bird, they look like really expensive designer cushions :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl - you are so kind. I have to admit that I probably like the large bird best! xx

      Delete
  12. Amy, yes, that is definitely 1950s fabric -- what a fabulous find! I hope you finished off those edges well as I know that is "one of those" kinds of fabric. I LOVE what you did with it -- your birds are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The curtains that this fabric came from have been hanging in my hubbys family home since the 1960's and came from their previous home I think. I don't think that I will still have curtains hanging up 50 plus years later after I first put them up! I like change too much. Glad you like the birds! xx

      Delete
  13. That fabric is stunning, you've done a great job of up cycling it into such a pretty design. You can always sew a cushion without a zip by making an envelope type finish which is super easy, only need straight line sewing :o) xxx Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have got another cushion middle so my next sewing project is to make the leftover grey curtain fabric and the remaining 50's fabric into a cushion - with an envelope back. As you say, I only need straight lines then!! Glad that you like the cushions. xx

      Delete
  14. Those cushions are just lovely and are so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done on the pillows! I love how sentimental you are... That fabric is wonderful and deserves a place in your home - a nice reminder of your husband's family home. Love it!

    Nice neighbor. Sure beats the nonesense we get from ours!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I do like a bit of retro, and for free too!! xx

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx