Tuesday, 1 October 2013

Italy part 3 - Plants, a Fishing Village, and Shrines

We saw many plants on our trip to Italy, and I have tried to show you the most interesting ones here.  I haven't named them because the planty people will know them, and the rest of us can just enjoy them!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

There are two ports in Sorrento, one where the fishing village is, and a larger port used by the boats going to the cruise ships and the ferries going to Capri.  One day we went for a walk to the Porto (port) where the fishing village is situated.  This is our walk down from the town to the port.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

We saw many of these little religious shrines, plaques and niches in the walls as we travelled, here are a few of them.

Many of the churches are open for you to walk in, pray or just have a look round.  I didn't photograph any of them, as I didn't feel it was appropriate, but some of them were very beautiful.

As these little shrines and so on were just out and about, I thought it more appropriate to photgraph these.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

This appeared to be an old abandoned mill in a gorge pretty much in the middle of Sorrento.  It was beautiful to see, there were so many plants and it was so lush and green.

 
 
 
 
 
 

My next posts will be about our visits to Pompeii and Herculaneum!  Lots to show you from both of these places.

Amy

16 comments:

  1. I've loved looking through all your Italy photos, it all just looks breathtakingly beautiful. I visited Sorrento on a work trip years ago and I'd love to go back there some day. That abandoned mill is amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was stunning, and finding the mill was amazing indeed. I hope that you get to go back to Sorrento one day!

      Delete
  2. WOW!!
    Did you 2 stop for a breath!
    What an awesome photolog of your trip...
    How about a photo of you and hubby?!
    Did he finally pick a hat for the trip! hahaha!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, we did spend a fair amount of time sitting and people watching with a cold glass of something! Hubby did pick a hat - eventually!!!!

      Delete
  3. Still summer in Sorrento! Love all the little details you spied as well. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you and I are on a similar wavelength for all the architectural details having looked at your photos of your recent trip! The weather was wonderful, we were very lucky.

      Delete
  4. Such beautiful plants!!! So much variety and color! But I must say I was blown away with those photos of your walk down to the port! The gates and stone streets! And that gorge doesn't even look real!!! And all of the religious art work is so fascinating! I could get lost looking at all of these beautiful pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! Thank you for your lovely comments. The walk was lovely and just the sort of thing that I was hoping to find, so I was really glad that we went.

      Delete
  5. We were in that area a few years ago - one of our best trips yet! We ran out of time to go to Capri, so I'm looking forward to seeing you photos of what we missed :) Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have photos of Capri to come, but not lots as it was sooo busy. It was beautiful, but crammed! A lot of the flowers above were photgraphed on Capri though. Hope you get back there one day for a visit!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just what I needed as the sky turns grey and earlier evenings settle in. Gorgeous bursts of colour! I love Italy! Chrissie x

      I accidentally deleted Chrissie's lovely comment above! So sorry Chrissie! Hope you enjoy the colours and forgive me!!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pictures, I enjoyed seeing all those wonderful colourful flowers especially. I love Italy too!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen. Glad that you like Italy, I do too after our trip!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Nina, that means a lot to me as I love your pictures!

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx