Monday, 28 October 2013

After the storm

Today I am very thankful that the hurricane came, passed by and did not cause us any problems.  Truly thankful and grateful.  I am saddened for those who have suffered damage and loss of life however.

 
 
 

The trees at the end of our garden have been a cause of stress this year for me, due to the neighbours getting in a pickle about them, so I was very worried in case any of them came down.  When I got up at 6 am to have a look out of the window they were blowing from side to side in a way that I have never seen a tree blow before.  Although there are lots of leaves, twigs and bits of branches spread around the garden, the trees stayed put.



When I went out this morning there were lots of leaves and some bits of tree down on the roads, but no full trees and no chaos or commotion.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

It seems that almost every year that we have lived here we have lost one or two fence panels each winter, so I was expecting to find half the fence blown away, but although one panel has broken free from the post, all of the panels are still upright and attached.

 

The shed roof has not fared quite so well...  It was going to be in need of repair and new roofing felt, which we had already discussed.  Yesterday when the wind started to really blow it started to tear away the felt.  Hubby went out and nailed some pieces of wood on the torn area and it has stayed put, so at least we can repair it when we are ready, not because there is roofing felt scattered far and wide across the neighbourhood.


Now, this is really strange, normally in even the slightest breeze our plastic recycling comes out of the bag, blows around the garden and gets stuck in all sorts of places.  This time though it all stayed put.  Nothing has moved.  Weird huh.


Oh, and another weird thing, we had all this wind and rain - and believe me, it howled with wind here last night and this morning - how come all of the bits that hubby threw out of the door from the decorating cloths are still just sat here on the patio and have not moved at all.


So all told, a lot to be grateful for.  Trees intact, fence and shed roof fairly intact, garden not shredded and no going round hunting for bits of plastic in the plants.  There are still plants trying to flower and come into bloom - even after all this weather, amazing huh!

 
 
 

The birds appeared again this morning and had a mass munch on the feeders, so I have topped them up - I think they deserve it, don't you.


Oh, and little selfie because I noticed how funny I looked whilst I was out in the garden.


The sun is out, the sky is blue, the painting is finally done - that is another story - and we are safe and sound.  I hope that everyone else has managed to be as lucky and that those who have not will be able to sort themselves and their homes out quickly and with the minimum of fuss.

Amy

30 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you're ok and your beautiful trees too. Funny that the decorating bits are still firmly attached to the patio-typical...! I had to put my bird table in the garage, but the poor pigeons were so confused this morning, I had to go out before breakfast and put it back....happy pigeons once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you are OK too, and that your pigeons are alright! Amazing how the birds all disappear when the wind comes and the reappear as soon as it calms down again. xx

      Delete
  2. Glad you "weathered" the storm, Amy...but...man.....have you ever got LONG legs!!! hahaha!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need long legs so that I can reach to the top shelves of the cupboards in the kitchen 'cause that is apparently where I hide all the good stuff!!

      Delete
  3. Hello Amy, I am so pleased you weathed the storm and everything is intact. Yes, lots to be grateful for.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Irene, lots to be grateful for, and it's good to remember that sometimes. xx

      Delete
  4. Oh friend I am so glad you guys are ok!!!! Your blooms that pulled through the storm are beautiful!!! And yes I do think the birds deserve it!!! And you are so right we have much to be thankful for!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All things considered although there have been a lot of people with no electricity the country has really come through pretty well. I certainly agree that the birds deserve a few treats! xx

      Delete
  5. Ha! Great minds on the post title..
    It is such a worry when you have a lot of trees, I hope they are a good way away from your house. It won't take the squirrels long to polish off all those acorns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary about the titles huh! We were probably posting about the same time. I haven't seen any squirrels for a while, so I hope that they come and find at least some of these, there are a lot to pick up otherwise! xx

      Delete
  6. Glad you weathered the storm...yes, lots to be grateful for.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope that you were all OK at your house too Marianne. xx

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you didn't have more damage. We have some very serious windstorms a few times a year where I live and I'm always worried about my trees. They're not very tall but they're old. I hope the shed is an easy fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shed should be fairly straightforward and at least it can wait for a dry day as it didn't get any further damage. Hope that your trees are OK, it is scary watching them in the wind isn't it. xx

      Delete
  8. So relieved all is relatively well; nothing some raking and nailing won't remedy! I hear you on those trees; we have one in particular that I would not be sad to see come down, however.
    Enjoy the clean-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leaves would have come down any way at some point, so as you say, nothing some raking and nailing won't mend, so that has to be a good thing. xx

      Delete
  9. We are only just hearing about your storm on this side of the pond. Glad to hear you escaped any really danger and damage. I wonder where the birds go during times like this! Can't you just see them gripping their little toes to those swaying trees!:) Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I have pictures in my mind of little birds in the shrubs and trees clinging on for dear life! They seemed to be eating well, so they can't be too bad! xx

      Delete
  10. So glad you're safe and sound - it is really frightening to be in the eye of a storm! lovely photos:)
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I lived with tornadoes on a semi regular basis I don't get so worried, but I was worried about the trees! All OK though. xx

      Delete
    2. Hi Amy,

      So glad to hear that you are safe as the storms have been terrible.
      The trees are so beautiful and loved seeing your pictures.
      Have a good week
      Hugs
      Carolyn

      Delete
    3. Thanks Carolyn, some places fared a lot worse than us so we were very lucky. xx

      Delete
  11. We were fortunate too in that we sustained no damage, and like you I was expecting to see a fence post down.
    Love your selfie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you are ok Tracey, and that your fences are too!! xx

      Delete
  12. Glad you didnt suffer any major damage from the storm Amy. We got off lightly here too, had a short power cut but nothing major. Boy did the wind blow though! Few trees down locally, but the worst news was hearing about that poor girl who died in Kent when a tree blew down where she was sleeping. She was only 17. So very tragic. My heart goes out to her family and friends.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the news of those who have died, it is so sad, and makes me so grateful for those who got through without any incident. Glad that you are alright. xx

      Delete
  13. Im so happy you are ok.I heard the storm.was terrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly there have been a few deaths and damage to cars and homes, but we are so thankful that due to all of the early warnings and action taken not to allow trains to travel and so on that the problems were greatly reduced. So thankful that we did not have any problems at our home. xx

      Delete
  14. LOVE the over-filled bird feeder. You know how I love our birds! My husband hates that I overfeed them because he knows most of it gets gobbled up by the squirrels and chip-munks. But like I tell him all the time, Squirrels and Chippies must eat too!

    Glad you suffered no ill-effects from the storm. Hurricaines in England, what's the planet coming to! HA!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen our resident squirrel lately, but when he visits he eats twice the amount of the birds!! Good on you for feeding them all Janet xx

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx