Thursday, 5 September 2013

Vegetable bake

I saw this on Pinterest and thought it might be something nice to try.  So, here is my version of events! 

I didn't follow a recipe, I just took inspiration from the picture that I found.

First I sliced two colours of courgette thinly.  I used my mandolin.  I can only use this when hubby is not around.  Earlier in the year I sliced the side of my thumb off using it, so it makes him a bit squeamish - sorry!!




Then some new potatoes.


I decided to place them into two cast iron gratin dishes that I had coated lightly with stir fry oil (olive oil flavoured with garlic and chilli).


I sort of layered the various veggies, but not in any strict sort of pattern.  Then I added some sliced tomatoes.


And some thinly sliced onion.  I wouldn't add whole slices of onion as I'm not sure they would cook at the same rate as the other veggies.  You could cook off some onions first though and add them I guess.


Now, the picture I found seems to show the veggies topped with cheese.  I didn't want to do this as it wouldn't go with the chicken that I planned to serve the veggies with.  So, I mixed up a little vegetable stock with some dried herbs and salt and pepper.  I poured a little of this into the base of each of the gratin dishes and topped with a little more seasoning.



Then I covered with foil, put in a couple of holes to vent any excess steam out and onto a baking tray to go in the oven.


Here they are all done and ready to eat.  I cooked them at 200 degrees c for  30 minutes.  I removed the foil for the last 15 minutes to allow them to brown on top.  A few of the onions got a bit too caremelized for hubby, so you might do better to tuck them in more than I did.



They were very nice and made a good all in one accompaniment to our chicken for dinner.  We are having the second one tomorrow with sausages - and I will add some cheese to the top of the veggies so they don't brown too much when I heat them in the oven!

Amy

6 comments:

  1. That looks delicious, Amy...
    And...gluten-free as well!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was even better the second day with cheese on top! I never thought about the fact that it was GF, I will have to go back and label my GF posts as such. I just become used to it and don't think about it so much now - you have set me off on another track....

      Delete
  2. Oh my - wish I could come for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only you lived closer!! It is really easy to make, so give it a go and let me know how you get on. Hope it tastes as good for you as it did for us.

      Delete
  3. That looks really good! I love dishes like that because everything is in one and it's so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is so easy isn't it. I also love things (like this) where I can make a load and it does for two days so the second day is just hotting something up and no chopping and slicing!

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx