Monday, 2 September 2013

Mollie makes pretty rose cross stitch

Issue thirty of Mollie Makes included a Pretty Rose Cross Stitch kit.

 
Very enjoyable to sew and good instructions in the magazine, including a tutorial on cross stitch and very easy to follow diagram for the pattern.  I have not cross stitched in years (decades), but I really enjoyed this, and perhaps I will feel more inclined towards cross stitch in the future.


The idea was that you framed it in a small embroidery hoop to make a little picture.  I don't have one of those and not really anywhere to hang it up once it was done.  So, I decided to make it into something else.

There was lots of embroidery floss left over.


There was a small piece of lace included and a small piece of red and white spotted ribbon to add down the side of the cross stitch.  I liked the lace, but not the ribbon, so I added a small band of "half cross stitch" to hold on the lace.


Then I started to turn the piece into something else - can you guess what it will be?


First I added a border of red stitching to hold on the felt backing to give the impression of blanket stitch.


Followed by a row of green running stitch to add a little more colour and to reinforce the edge stitching.

 

Then came the stuffing - bet you know what it is now!


Then finally all sewed up.


Edges of the felt neatly cut with pinking shears.


Voila, one pin cushion.

To add to my mouse pin cushion.


And my flower basket pin cushion.


Not sure if I need three pin cushions, so I will keep the new one as a gift for someone.


Lots of fun to make though and much easier than my sardine fish which I made last month.  The fish are going strong still and look great hanging from my keys though!

Looking forward to the make from issue 31 of Mollie Makes - a little sausage dog!

Amy

Mollie Makes don't know I exist by the way, this is just a report of my crafting which I wanted to share.

17 comments:

  1. What a very clever gift to make from the cross-stitch kit - I like it so much better than just a little stitched picture! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chrissie, I am not very good at just leaving things alone, always have to fiddle just a bit more!!

      Delete
  2. That came out so cute, Amy. What a nice little gift, I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer, I was suprised at how well it went having not cross stitched for years. I might give it to my Mum when I see her at the weekend.

      Delete
  3. Hi Amy, just been reading some of your posts. Great idea for your cross stitch, much better than a picture.
    Your pictures of Lake Tahoe are amazing, I've read in books about it but never seen any pictures, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was nothing like that. It is magnificent, so beautiful to look at.
    And good work with your crochet, it's coming alon nicely, so will be expecting an updated post on it soon.

    Take care
    Sally xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally, Lake Tahoe is amazing, it is so blue and much bigger than I expected before I actually went. It is very beautiful, I would recommend it if you ever get a chance to go there. Thank you for your lovely crochet comments, I am still going so I'll update when I get a bit further along. It is going a lot slower now it is bigger as it seems to take so long to get round each side! It means it is growing though!!

      Amy x

      Delete
  4. So pretty ~ that rose with the little heart. And I love what you did with it!
    Such charming creations ~ all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope that the person I give it to loves it too.

      Delete
  5. It's so pretty - I love the way you made it your own. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gillian, - I have been inspired by you!

      Delete
  6. Lovely makes! I can see Eline's vintage cross stitch rose captured hearts of many crafters as I've seen this project on many blogs, including mine ;)
    I like how you turned it into a pin cushion - something different from a suggested option.
    I like the idea with the red blanket stitch and the red felt backing - it just looks good.
    and what a lovely sewn mouse too!
    thanks for visiting my blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment, I am not a "little picture" sort, but more of a "make something" sort, so I like to turn things into other things. I gave the finished pin cushion to my Mum and she really liked it.

      Delete
  7. So stinkin' cute! Well done, you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave it away to my Mum, she is worried that I will overtake her in the cross stitch stakes - no fear there, the crochet bug has bitten me!!

      Delete
  8. Hi, I was just wondering when you string the threads, did you use two or did you separated it individually?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I honestly can't remember! Probably three threads, so take a strand of embroidery silk, they are usually made of 6 threads. Take one out at a time until you have three and then thread together into the needle! Hope that is of some help to you.

      Delete
  9. Hi ladies

    Can anybody tell me please how I can get this book? Many thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx