The idea was that you framed it in a small embroidery hoop to make a little picture. I don't have one of those and not really anywhere to hang it up once it was done. So, I decided to make it into something else.
There was lots of embroidery floss left over.
There was a small piece of lace included and a small piece of red and white spotted ribbon to add down the side of the cross stitch. I liked the lace, but not the ribbon, so I added a small band of "half cross stitch" to hold on the lace.
Then I started to turn the piece into something else - can you guess what it will be?
First I added a border of red stitching to hold on the felt backing to give the impression of blanket stitch.
Followed by a row of green running stitch to add a little more colour and to reinforce the edge stitching.
Then came the stuffing - bet you know what it is now!
Then finally all sewed up.
Edges of the felt neatly cut with pinking shears.
Voila, one pin cushion.
To add to my mouse pin cushion.
And my flower basket pin cushion.
Not sure if I need three pin cushions, so I will keep the new one as a gift for someone.
Lots of fun to make though and much easier than my sardine fish which I made last month. The fish are going strong still and look great hanging from my keys though!
Looking forward to the make from issue 31 of Mollie Makes - a little sausage dog!
Mollie Makes don't know I exist by the way, this is just a report of my crafting which I wanted to share.