Tuesday, 17 September 2013

Mollie Makes Jane Foster Sausage Dog

It is time for this months Mollie Makes again.  A bit earlier this month, as I am actually making the item in the month of issue of the magazine!


This little sausage dog is so cute, I just had to make him up.  Of course I can never leave well enough alone, so I have to improvise a little.

The kit included designs for the front and back of the dog.  I assume that the dashed line around the design is the line to follow for stitching.


I decided though that I liked the way this gave an outline and I wanted to keep this.  As I am greedy, I also needed two of these doggies as one was not enough.


So, a little thinking outside the box was needed.

I decided to cut out the designs to allow me to sew them together and leave a border to sew the dashed line around as an accent.  I also found some plain white fabric to use as the backs, which meant that I could have two doggies, not just one!


So after cutting out and pinning to the backing fabric I cut out again and then sewed the two layers together.


Then turned right side out.  I decided to do a running stitch in red along the dashed line before stuffing the doggie so that there would be a defined border all the way around.


Once this was done I stuffed little doggie and sewed him up!


Then I repeated the procedure and voila two little sausage dogs to play together.


Now, where do they look best together.  Here...


Or here...


Or here...


Or here...


Oh, looks as though they like my crochet basket!  Watch out doggies, you don't want to get tangled up in the wool there.

Hope that you have had fun making up your sausage dogs too.

Amy

Mollie Makes don't know I exist by the way, this is just a report of my crafting which I wanted to share.

34 comments:

  1. What cute sausage dogs! haha...they just make me smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy, it is amazing how much time you can spend wandering round the house finding cute places to put them!

      Delete
  2. hi amy,
    really cute!!!
    have a nice day,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regina, they were advertised in the previous months magazine and I thought they were so cute I was waiting all month to get them, so I had to make them as soon as I could!

      Delete
  3. How cute are those dogs!! Well done, Amy... Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet, still playing with them, moving them around to find a spot to sit, I might try my desk next!

      Delete
  4. The puppies are lovely! I wish I had this copy of the magazine, how often does the magazine come out? is it 4 times a year? Or once a month?
    I have the one that has the cross stitch in it.
    Much love,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy, not sure if it comes out monthly or 4 weekly, I think it is every 4 weeks, the one with the dogs came out in England last week of August/first week of September I think. Their website will tell you I am sure. I think they do US subscriptions as well. Thanks for your lovely comment as always! Amy xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Amy
    Seriously cute dogs - and inspired to make two for one , love them !
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, as you have two actual dogs, I think that you need two little doggies as well!!

      Delete
  6. Aww, they're so cute! They look like the best of friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are playing very nicely together!! And, yes, I am a bit dotty!!

      Delete
  7. I haven't made mine yet, but I really like yours better than the one in the mag! The stitched detailing is lovely, and much better that you get two for one - well done! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissie, I have to confess that one of the reasons for the stitching is all the trouble that I had with the fish a couple of months ago - they kept exploding when I put the stuffing in, and I wanted to avoid that with the doggies - and I did! I just had to have two of them once I realised that I could, who can resist twins!! Hope that you have fun making yours when you are ready. Amy xx

      Delete
  8. I love that sausage dog!! actually I love all sausage dogs - you are SOOOOOOOOOOOo handy!!
    really lovely!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to keep my hands busy, I can't sit still for long!! Thanks, Amy x

      Delete
  9. I absolutely love these sausage dogs!!! They are adorable!!!! Well done friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sitting in an armchair at the moment, looking very cute!!

      Delete
  10. Clever idea, sometimes being greedy is a good thing ;o) I like the fact thatvtheyvwill never be lonely xxx Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping that twins are twice as much fun, not twice the trouble!!

      Delete
  11. Thinking of a way to have two is clever! The tip about deeper stitching so that the item is easier to fill is good and looks very effective. I'm a sewing novice, so thank you for sharing about your projects and the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The double stitching helps when you are stuffing them as I hand sewed them so the seams are not as strong as machine stitching, but it seemed a bit much to get the machine out for. I like the decorative effect too. Hope you have fun with your sewing!

      Delete
  12. They are really cute. I love Jane Foster's work. I haven't bought Mollie Makes for the last couple of months, all those projects are just too tempting.

    Good luck with your new work venture, by the way. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian, not sure what I will be up to yet! Loving Mollie makes I have to say. But not made anything else yet - been crocheting instead. Oh well. Amy xx

      Delete
  13. Good dog...er...I mean job! hahaha!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs are good - the owner.... not so sure!! Amy xx

      Delete
  14. Aaaah, clever girl! What a good idea to make two!
    love it. mine is just put away in the box, waiting for its turn ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have to wait and see how yours turns out then Martha! I wonder how you will make him up when it's his turn!

      Delete
  15. Amy! I LOVE Mollie Makes. A friend and I made the woodland creatures a fox and a raccoon from felt. When I was in Finland on a rainy day I got a newer issue than we get here in Canada. I was 'over the moon'! Love your rendition of the doggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you can have fun making something when you get home then! I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with. Next month has two little felt fox brooches, so I am looking foward to making those. Glad that you got something cheery on a wet day!

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx