Monday, 16 September 2013

Leaving my job

Today was my last day at my job that I "quit" recently.  It was sad to say goodbye, but I know that I will keep in touch with lots of the friends that I have made - my diary will be busy with "tea or coffee dates" before I know it.


I decided they all needed a treat so that they would not forget me too soon.  Now I have to say that it was never mentioned as a requirement at interview, but you had to be a muncher to work in this office.  If cake, chocolates, biccies were not your thing you would struggle as a lot of munching happens.  Everyone is very kind and brings back lovely things from their hols or "just because" so the way to the hearts of this lot is through their tummies!


A large tin of chocs which are already on sale in the Christmas chocs display in my local supermarket - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!  Already!!!!!!!!!!!  Anyway, the munchers will like them.


I made a chocolate cake which was topped of course with sprinkles.  No cake is complete without sprinkles.  Even better I used my bundt tin again - and hubby thought it wouldn't get much use!


It didn't work quite as well as my last one did, as the ganache didn't thicken.  I think it was because I was using milk, rather than dark chocolate.  I didn't have any dark to hand.  It made more of a glaze than an icing.  Tasted good though.

Here it is before I left home this morning.


Here it is when I left the office at lunchtime.


It can't have tasted too bad!

A strange day really, I have never been so sad to leave a job as this.  When I quit I was worried that I wouldn't miss it, but I was missing it last week already and I hadn't actually left then.  As I said I will keep in touch.  There is a charity fund raising event at the end of next month, and a book sale....  You can guarantee I will get roped in for that little lot and I will be glad to be asked.

My colleagues gave a me a lovely bouquet of flowers and a card with lots of lovely messages which was very kind.


I also had a lovely card from a longstanding client thanking me for my help and support which was really touching and if nothing else that made the last 5 years of work worth it.


In a way a sadder day than I thought it might be, but a cheery one too.  Lots of good memories and good times to come.  No idea what the new times will be, but bloggies you can be assured that you will hear all about it here!


This is just the start of a new beginning.


Amy

12 comments:

  1. Best wishes to you now that you're moving on to a new chapter. It was so nice of you to bring them treats, and I am sure they appreciated them. It sounds like you are well-loved around there and I know they will miss you but it's great that you'll be in touch and continuing to help out sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. I got a little upset when it was time to go, and they all kept saying that I could go back which was sweet of them. Not sure what will happen next, but the journey of a thousand miles... I just have to hope they have some bake sale fundraisers to I can take cake in as that is always popular!

      Delete
  2. The cake looks delish, no wonder it quickly disappeared. Very best wishes for the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all said that it was very nice. I wonder if there was any left today!!

      Delete
  3. This is a lovely post. The cake does look delicious, and your flowers are so pretty! I'll be reading along to see what new adventures you find yourself in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have no idea what I will be doing next Leanne, and I'm in no rush, but you can be sure that I will share whatever it turns out to be...

      Delete
  4. Happy new beginnings to you Amy! That cake with the sprinkles made me hungry!!! It looks divine!!! And how wonderful that you were so appreciated!!!! Best wishes on your next step!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, this food thing on blogs is a terrible when you haven't eaten, I keep feeling hungry when I look at blogs!! Thank you for your good wishes, I better get deciding what to do....

      Delete
  5. Oh Amy,

    I'm sure it must have been difficult to leave your post and your coworkers. They're going to miss you and your wonderful baked goods. I'm certain of it.

    As for the ganache not setting, I don't think it mattered one bit. The cake looked divine and the cross section photograph of it made me want to have a slice with a nice cup of tea. Too bad we don't live near each other!

    Cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, sometimes you have to make changes don't you, I hope they miss me a bit though, it would be nice to be missed a little rather than not at all! Sorry I can't send you a slice of cake! Amy

      Delete
  6. Good luck in your new endeavor!
    Keep crocheting!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I'm still stitching away... Amy xx

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx