Thursday, 19 September 2013

Knightshayes Court and a junk yard

Looking back through my pictures to find something, I found these and realised that I had not shared them with you.  Don't you hate that!

It is even more annoying, because I have these pictures of a junk yard that we found one day, and I cannot for the life of me remember where it is or what it is called.  So if anyone has any idea, please let me know, because I would love to go back again.  It is somewhere in North Somerset, other than that, no idea!  As you can see, it is a pretty distinctive place, so perhaps someone will know where it is.


Not many junkyards have tanks, and I seem to remember there was a rocket and a selection of nose cones from some sort of fighter jet.

It was an amazing place, full of all sorts of things, my camera battery went flat I think, otherwise I am sure there would have been more pictures.


It was full of statues, metal ones and stone (or concrete I suspect in some cases), planters, seats, bricks, all kinds of "stuff".  The sort of place where you could have a real rummage.


As you can see it was a very grey day and I think it must have started to rain, because we didn't stay long.


If only I could remember where it was I would make a trip to go back and have another look.  They had an enourmous collection of saddle stones (the stone mushroom shaped things you can see in the picture above), mostly repro's I think.  If only I had the right sort of garden....  If only I could remember where this place is....

I also forgot to show these few brief pictures of Knightshayes Court, another National Trust property.  It is a beautiful Victorian house.  I only have a few pictures, but there are some lovely ones on the NT website, and the house is definitely worth a visit if you are ever in the area.


We have visited several times before, so I only photographed the gardens as I took these pre actually starting my blog.

 
 
 
 
 
These willow sculptures of the deer were enchanting.  If you just looked quickly and saw them out of the corner of your eye you would have thought that they were real deer just munching their way across the grass.

 
The views from the terrace of the house are stunning.


The gardens are beautiful too.
 

Can you see what is up the tree?
 

A giant salamander coming down the tree trunk.  Another of the willow sculptures.  My mum visited recently and she said they have added some more, including a horse which she said was wonderful.  So I need to go back to Knightshayes as well to see that!

It is a house and garden that is really well worth a visit.  I have never been in the autumn, but because there are so many lovely trees, I expect that it looks great with lots of colour and leaves to wander through.

Hope you enjoyed a brief view of these two places.  If you know where that junkyard is, please tell me!!

Amy

I volunteer with the National Trust at Basildon Park so the National Trust know that I exist because I volunteer with them, but that is all. I am just sharing this with you because it was an interesting visit.  As I have no idea where the junk yard is that is self explanatory!

22 comments:

  1. Once again, you visit the most amazing places! We should be so lucky to have a junkyard packed with those kinds of treasures here - I could go a little crazy in there :). The beauty of the English country estates is unparalleled, in my opinion, the manicured gardens and grounds are quite breathtaking. I'd love to go back and have a decent look around one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love poking around places. I was amazed to get to go to the junkyard place as Hubby is not one for just stopping and going in somewhere. He likes to be planned and organised, I am more a just go for it type. It worked this time though - just wish I could remember where it was..... Hope that you get to come to England and have a look round one day.

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness! When you first see those deer it really does look like they are real! I would love to take the kids there, we were watching "Call the Midwife" last night and there was a huge big field and my Hannah said to me "Mommy please take me to a field like that"... we just don't green gorgeous fields like that in Texas! As for the junk yard... That looks like heaven for a Sunday afternoon of just putzing around!! I'd have to buy one or two things!
      Much love,
      Tammy

      Delete
  2. There might not be big green fields in Texas, but there are plenty of other great things that we don't have here in England! We didn't buy anything as it was all pretty massive stuff, but it was certainly fun to look round Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, though I would definitely be more interested in visiting Knightshayes than the junk yard, I do hope someone will recognize it and be able to tell you where it is. It definitely looks unique! Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The junkyard was pretty amazing, so much weird and wonderful stuff! Knightshayes is a lovely place though, and it has wonderful interiors as well as gardens! You would probably really enjoy both of them.

      Delete
  4. I love junk yards! I see some stuff in those photos that I want! haha.

    LOVE the deer sculptures...those are the prettiest and most life-like I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you work out where it is Betsy and can find it, let me know!! I'll be there to shop with you. I could do with some big lumps of stone... The deer were wonderful. There is a tradition of willow weaving in Somerset (where Knightshayes is) and they make some wonderful things.

      Delete
  5. Now, THAT'S MY KIND OF JUNK YARD! I would love to have many of the garden pieces I could see in your photos in my yard!

    The gardens are spectacular!

    Thank you for taking me along on your visit!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well of course I wish that you could come along with me in person Janet!! I am happy to share this way though in the meantime. Amy xx

      Delete
  6. Junkyards are some of my favorite places to visit. That's something I did with my father when I was growing up and I have such good memories of it. There's always something interesting to see in a junkyard! This house is beautiful; I love these old houses and estates you share, they always capture my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to explore these sorts of places too, my grandfather was (to say the least) a pack rat so it always reminds me of him when I see this sort of sight. He would have been in his element! I love to share these places with you too Jennifer. Amy xx

      Delete
  7. Hi Amy, Thanks for stopping in at my blog, and I thought I'd visit you. I wish we had a junk yard like this! I'd choose the nice black horse statue ... perfect for my garden ;) The NT home looks amazing from the outside with those fancy leaded windows, and really pretty gardens. I'll be following along with you now. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, thank you too for visiting me! I hope that you enjoy what you find, and I look forward to "seeing" you again. Amy :)

      Delete
  8. OMG!!! Take me to that junk yard!!! ASAP!
    i love crawling thru junk, and finding a special treasure...
    Hope you find out where it is, so you can go again!
    LOVE those deer...

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No hints where it is yet Linda, but you never know! I will have to do some digging for the next time I am down that way to see if we can go back. There must be stuff there that I need....

      Delete
  9. Another one to add to my list of visits. I really want to rent a home somewhere very Beatrix Potterish and sit there for a month and paint scenes and live the life, one cup of tea at a time. I'll let you know when I'm touring:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to complete your wish Leslie to come to England! We really do drink lots of tea here, so you would certainly be able to fulfil one part of your wish.

      Delete
  10. That junkyard looks too cool! I could get lost in there! And oh my is that garden and house amazing! The pure expanse of grass and foliage is breathtaking!!! What I would do to just stroll through there for the day! Thank you for sharing such magic with us!!! All the best this weekend!! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gardens at Knightshayes are lovely, and you could certainly spend all day just wandering around. We always seem to be rushing on somewhere else, but we will go back! Hope you have a great weekend Nicole.

      Delete
  11. Wow what an amazing place!! more like a treasure yard!! so much to see - thanks for sharing :)
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on your viewpoint Mary, my Hubby sees junk for sure, I see treasure like you do!!

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx