Monday, 30 September 2013

Italy part 1

After looking through just under 2200 photos today, I am no nearer deciding how to show them to you, other than picking a subject or two to cover in each post.  I thought about doing it day by day, but that was a bit back and forth, so I hope this will work better!

We flew to Milan and then on to Naples.


We are pretty sure that we went over the Alps, that is what we decided in any case.

 
 
 

The views were spectacular.


On the second leg of the flight we had the front row of the little puddlejumper plane that we flew on, so lots of leg room!


The journey from the airport to the hotel went at pretty high speed, but with a lovely lady driver who was very chatty.

 
 
 
 

I saw this shop window as we slowed down briefly on the way.

 

The hotel was lovely.
 

It was situated by a square with seats, some sort of monument.

 
 
 
 

The hallways were lit with these amazing lights, which I think must be Murano Glass.

 

There were two wonderful chandeliers in the hotel lobby.
 

There were wonderful views from the hotel.

 
 
 

We saw Mount Vesuvius in all sorts of guises, daytime in bright sun, in cloud, in the mist and of course at night.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Almost every day different cruise ships came and went from the bay.  We saw a lot of tour guides with a trail of people following them coming off the ships every day.  Some of them looked pretty miserable, it was not a good advert for the tours they were on!  There were happier people though on the little train that went round Sorrento.


We saw all sorts of boats from outside the hotel from cruise ships to sailing boats to rowing boats.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Some views from outside the hotel at night.

 
 
 

There were some beautiful sunsets.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

All of the surrounding streets were charming too.

 

You could just about make out our hotel from down in the port.


There isn't really a beach in Sorrento, but there are "beaches" that you can rent a sunbed on for the day.

 
 
 
 

The water was a wonderful colour.

 
 

The view from our room was not so spectacular, but we didn't spend much time in the room, so it didn't bother us.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A few more views!

 
 

More to come tomorrow!

Amy

12 comments:

  1. Oh that looks bliss! Beautiful warm summer weather, a real tonic for these grey English days.
    I had to laugh about the speed drive from the airport. We hired a car not far from there, it was an experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taxi driver on the way back to the airport was certainly an experience, he argued with the hotel porter and then dropped my suitcase on my foot! He definately knew what speed driving was.... Thanks for stopping by, hope to see you again:)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous photos of your trip! Love the shots of Vesuvius ... your hotel seems to have been in a perfect location. You make me want to go back to Italy again!! Wendy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were very lucky with the location, we knew about the park from looking it up, but had no idea that we would have such great views of Vesuvius! You will have to add Italy back on to your list of holiday locations. xx

      Delete
  3. Amy!! what wonderful photos - I feel like I've had a vacation - you lucky thing!! you really caught the feel - lovely
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, glad I gave you a little holiday too!

      Delete
  4. Ah, bella Italia! I don't think it's possible to take a bad photo of that place, even the scaffolding outside your window is stylish ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The building work amazed us, as they were there every day, but they were so quiet! I wish that English builders could work like that!

      Delete
  5. All of your views are amazing!!! And your hotel is so fantastic!!! You captured such amazing skies over the waters....and the water!!! My goodness!!! I really like the street shots too...the architecture is completely different from what you see around here. It has always been a dream of mine to walk around those streets and take in the culture. Keep the photos coming!! I can not wait to see more!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure if the architecture would be all that I hoped, but it was, and more. I have lots more to show you!

      Delete
  6. Really enjoying your vacation posts, Amy. It looks like you had a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Jennifer, still working through the photos - turns out I have about 1044 just from Pompeii and Herculaneum. I think that I take too many pictures. I promise NOT to show you all of them! We did have a great time though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx