Friday, 20 September 2013

Crochet update

The new multicoloured crochet that I started and then fiddled with went horribly wrong.


Wibbly does not begin to describe it.  I mean, have you ever seen crochet that is meant to be a flat blanket with waves like this.  I was sort of impressed that I managed to get it like this.  Please someone tell me that I am not the only one who has done this!


So, it was not going to get any better, I was sure of that, so I pulled it apart and started again.


I tried it with one chain between the trios, but I still didn't like that, so I started again with no chains and one on the corners, which I then increased to two on the corners.  Now I think that I should have done chains to start and then decreased the chains, not increased, but it seems to be working.  I am not going to unpick it again.

This is how it is looking at the moment.  What do you think.  I reckon that it is a big improvement from the first effort.  Not all wibbly for one thing!


This will only be a little blankie, because I only have 6 balls of this wool, but I can perhaps make it into a cushion cover or something.  Or perhaps just a very small blankie for one foot - ha!

Big green is going well, increasing all the time and getting more difficult to lug in and out of the basket I keep it in when not working on it.  I still need to get a new basket though, but I haven't seen one I like yet.  I will keep looking!


Oh, and I bought some more yarn!  To try and make a poppy for Remembrance Day in November.


Amy

16 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job! I like the idea of a one foot blankie! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have to fiddle about with crochet sometimes to get it right. I usually do one chain between the trios and two on the corners but sometimes it just doesn't look right, I think it depends on the yarn really. I love your big green blanket, it will certainly keep you warm this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo for your lovely comment, just went and had a look at your blog, and your ripple is beautiful! I am following you along now and look forward to reading your blogs. Hope to see you again here. Thanks again. Amy

      Delete
  3. It looks like you're improving a lot. Sometimes it just takes practice to get it right and I think that's happening for you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, I feel as though big green is going well for sure, and now I have redone the multi one that is much better as well. Thanks for the reassurance!

      Delete
  4. Even with wibbly wobbly projects there are lessons to be learned - I've advanced more with crochet after making a big boo-boo than by just following instructions all the time! Well done you for sticking with it, you'll have the warmest foot in the land... The big blanket is a beauty! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Chrissie, and so right, it is amazing by doing it a bit wrong what you work out isn't it. Looking forward to being able to snuggle up in the big one, perhaps I can crochet the little one on the bottom for one foot - ha! Not sure what the other foot will do... Amy xx

      Delete
  5. That multi-coloured yarn is pretty and you're crocheting is far better than any of my efforts, Amy! I used to crochet years ago but have now lost the skill of following patterns. Looking forward to seeing your crocheted poppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lin, I am not following any pattern, just making it up as I go along really, inspired by looking at other peoples blogs and tutorials. You should have a go free form and see what happens - it is easy to unravel if you don't like it, trust me, I have unravelled several times since I started!! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. I wish I could offer a suggestion, but I don't crochet. I have to agree with Chrissie that you learn more through the mistakes than anything else! I've learned knitting just that way, and am still ripping & learning as I go. I hope the rest of the foot cozy? is problem free. Your green & white blanket looks amazing ... I hope you finish it before the cold snap comes :) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of foot cozy, there might be something in that Wendy, I will have to have a think about that one!! Thanks, Amy

      Delete
  7. I think your doing great with your crochet. Like everything we learn, it takes practice. I know I made loads of mistakes and instill do if I don't read the pattern properly :)
    Your green Blankie looks brilliant.
    Sally xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally, it would have been better if I had used a pattern! Going ok now though, thanks for the encouragement. Amy xx

      Delete
  8. You are doing well with your crochet, just keep at it... It is definitely something that "clicks' with practice and patience!
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne, it does seem to be "clicking" now as you say! I'll keep going. Amy xx

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx