Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Crochet a go go

So, giant granny is coming along, I got a little sidetracked with some cross stitch and gardening over the last week, but back on to it now.


I am not sure about the additional green that I have added in though.  What do you reckon?  I am not sure that it isn't a bit bright for the other green that I started out with.  Hubby says "it is fine" which somehow does not inspire confidence in my choice!

 
New Green


Previous green

Of course I cannot stick with just one thing!  So I started this little number - still very little - which will also be one big granny square.  I won't add any extra yarn to this one, I will just use all the multicolour yarn that I have and it will be what it will be.  It seemed as though the "holes" were a bit big to me on this one - using a half size up crochet hook than for my other blankie - so I have reduced the chain stitch to one rather than two between the trios and did a round of extra trios just to try and close up the gaps a little.  I will see how it goes and if I'm still not happy I will unravel it and start again with a different hook or less chain stitches.


Also got sucked into buying more yarn - I know, I know, I am supposed to be crocheting to use up what I have, not buying more.  Who can resist a 50% of sale though.  A small selection to hopefully make myself a new scarf for the winter.  I am trying to not start anything else yet though until I have finished at least one of the two blankies I now have on the go.



One thing I know for sure though is that I am a weave the ends in as I go sort.  I was leaving them on the green blankie until I got to the end to do them all at once.  They really started bugging me though, so I stopped crocheting and sewed them all in, and now I am much happier.  So I will be sewing my ends in as I go from now on!  Funny how we are all different about sewing the ends in isn't it!



Still loving my crochet though, but I do need to find a basket to store all my bits in as I am using my shopping basket at the moment, which is not very practical if I want it to go shopping.  Have to work out a way to sneak another basket into the house without hubby noticing though, which could be the difficult part...


Thank you for your encouraging comments on my first crochet post.  They were lovely to read and very useful to know that I seem to be on the right track.  I will keep you updated as I go!

Amy

20 comments:

  1. Oh I love making giant granny blankets! They are so relaxing to work on in the evenings, I find. Yours is looking lovely and I like all the shades of green.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, it is very relaxing just working away, watching tv or talking in the evenings. Glad that you like the greens, I just wasn't sure and as I said hubby's comments didn't inspire confidence!

      Delete
  2. hi ammy
    i love your giant granny blanket,it looks fantastic. like the colours from your new wool,too.
    have a nice day with your hook,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Regina, just on my lunchbreak from housework Tuesday, so no crochet for me until this evening, but then I will be going a storm again while I catch up on my tv watching. Hope you have a great day too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep going! It is lovely! Then you'll be able to get going with those GORGEOUS new yarns - the colours are so beautiful! :-) Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reassurance Chrissie, I did a bit while I was waiting for dinner to cook and it is amazing how it keeps growing! Amy x

      Delete
  5. I think your blanket is looking great. I like the two greens, they complement one another nicely. I weave in my ends as I go. I can't stand all the hanging bits, they get in my way. I don't do chains between my clusters on the sides of a granny square, I like the tighter effect I get without them. Everyone does it differently. Yours is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is suprising how the more you do the more you realise what you like isn't it. I like the effect on the greens one with the chains between, but not on the multi one. I have always been contrary! I have done a couple more rounds on the multi one and on the next round I was thinking of not doing any chains at all, but it is going a bit wavy so I might start it over and have no chains from the start. See, I am contrary. One day mine will look as good as yours do if I keep going... Thank you for the encouragement, much appreciated!

      Delete
  6. Evening Amy...
    That blankie is looking great!
    I made Miss V a big granny square afghan for her b'day...
    And...I just started another afghan tonight!
    Not a granny square...just DC...and into the back loop every other row...
    Gives a very nice effect...
    Don't you just hate "FINE"...what's up with that?
    What the heck does "FINE" mean, anyway?
    I think it means..."leave me alone, I don't care...so I'll just say it is fine" hahaha!

    Enjoy the rest of your week...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment Linda, looking forward to seeing your new afghan as it goes along! I agree with you about the "fine" grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!! I unpicked the multi colour one last night and restarted it - it went all wibbly - no chains and it is all flat and lovely now - yay. Amy xx

      Delete
  7. Your work is gorgeous!!! I need to pick up crocheting again!!! How wonderful to make your own blankets and as for the greens they don't bother me at all! My eye is drawn more to the beautiful design! Have a great Wednesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all the lovely reassuring comments about the greens, perhaps I have to forgive hubby for his "fine"! Looking forward to seeing some of your crochet when you get to it, love getting inspired by everyone else's work!

      Delete
  8. I love your green Granny Blankie and I think the choice of both greens work well.
    Keep going

    Sally xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of lovely projects - I think the greens work fine together. I always sew the ends in as I go, otherwise they drive me mad. And I do one chain between my treble clusters (trios), some prefer to leave no spaces. Each to their own I guess! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have restarted the multi one today after pulling it apart last night - it went even lumpier and wibbly and horrid. Now doing no chains between on that one and it looks soooo much better! You are right, we are all different - good hey.

      Delete
  10. Gosh I wish I could crochet. You are doing a great job. I am learning and lord knows I am trying, but I just can't seem to get my head around it. I will keep plodding along with it. Love the colours you have chosen. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep going, this is just my first and if you look back and see my "seaweed" you will see that I am not really any great crocheter. Anyway, you have lots of talents so don't worry if crochet isn't the best of them.

      Delete
  11. I see you are well away with your hooky projects already! And more yarn ready to go to? That's the way!! Love your new yarn colours, lovely combinations

    S x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't help collecting ready for the next thing! I am trying to discipline myself to finish something before starting another though....

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx