Monday, 23 September 2013

A little more Basildon Park

There is not really a "theme" for this post, other than it being a few of the things that I particularly like from the house.

 
 

These are chairs from Queen Elizabeth's Coronation 60 years ago and and from the Coronation of her father, King George.  If you attend a Coronation, afterwards, you can apply to purchase a chair - those from the Queen's Coronation cost Seven Pounds and Ten Shillings (about £330 now).

 
 
 
 
These lamp bases have been made from Chinese Medicine Dolls.  You took the doll to the doctors and pointed to the affected area of the body and the diagnosis was made!  They didn't come with outfits, these were added by Lady Illiffe.

 
This is the Bamboo Bedroom where the lamps are displayed.  The bed is not really bamboo, it is carved and painted wood.


These curtains and pelmets were also made by Lady Illiffe.  She was a very talented needlewoman.
 

Any ideas what the pink edged dish on the sofa table is for?
 
 
 
 
 

This is Lady Iliffe's china which we sometimes display on the dining table.

 

The Library.
 


This beautiful copper beech tree stands at the front of the house and the visitors love to stand by it and see how tall it is.

I hope that I have inspired you to visit your own local historic places and find out some more.  There is a lot to know out there, and there are a lot of people just waiting to tell you all about their favourite places!  Have a fun visit somewhere and let me know where you go.

Amy

Basildon Park know that I exist because I volunteer with them, but that is all. I am just sharing this with you because Basildon Park is part of what I do and love.

10 comments:

  1. I didn't know that about coronation chairs, how interesting. I love looking round historic houses, so much to learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, glad you found out something new! Looking forward to seeing you again. Amy x

      Delete
  2. That is very interesting about the coronation chairs. They were very expensive too! It seems like there's a bit of an Asian theme with the decor, what with the bamboo-look bed and the Chinese dolls. Was Asian-style decor popular at the time the Illiffes lived there? I could really use a bookcase like that one for my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are various Asian or Indian things in the house as the first person who built the house sir Francis Sykes had made his money in India. I love the bookcase too! Amy xx

      Delete
  3. I love that you pointed out that little dish. It is a curious one, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pine cones on the chairs reminds me of 'Sound Of Music', when Maria sat on the chair that the children had adorned! Love seeing all the details in "your" house. I too am keen to find out what the little pink dish is doing!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pinecones are to say Don't sit here rather than having little notices everywhere. The answer about the dish will come soon!

      Delete
  5. I cannot wait to hear the explanation of the dish and I LOVE the pinecones as a warning not to sit! Brilliantly English... Stern but subtle and very effective! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is so funny because we get little children gathering all the pinecones up because they think they are tidying up! It is so cute though, but the parents are so embarassed!!

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx