Monday, 29 July 2013

Weekend baking and cooking

After making the discovery of jam mountain when sorting out my cupboards last week I thought I had to do something about tackling it.

I decided to make some jam palmiers.  Palmiers are normally made with a sugary filling, sometimes they have savoury filling such as cheese.  I decided though to give some jam ones a try.



I had mixed results.  The jam I used was very thick, so it did not spread well.  This meant that I probably put too much on the pastry, so it came out of the pastry and made things rather sticky.  The finished articles tasted good though, and to paraphrase Rudyard Kipling's poem If, it is important to "meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two impostors just the same".

Although they didn't turn out quite as I would have liked, it was fun making them and they tasted great.


This is how I made them, next time I will use a thinner jam and slightly thicker rolled pastry.  I have a pot of lavender sugar in the cupboard, so I might try making some more another day using that sugar.  I'll let you know how they go if I give them a try.



I used 250g of ready made all butter puff pastry, which was half this amount.



Rolled out very thinly.  I think a little thicker would have worked better.



Then I spread the pastry with blackberry and apple jam.  I used a whole jar!  The lumps are the blackberries which were still whole.



One side rolled to the middle.



Then the other side.

 
I cut the roll in half to allow me to move it to a baking sheet.  This went into the fridge to chill for about half an hour.



Then they were cut into slices before chilling again.



I put 9 to a cookie sheet, and then into the oven, set at 200 degrees C for about 13 minutes.  Keep watching them though as you don't want burnt jam.



The final product after cooling down.  A bit sticky, but tasty none the less.

These were smaller than I would have liked, so instead of rolling in the long sides, you could try rolling in the short sides to get bigger palmiers.

I had better luck with the other 250g of the pastry.



Rolled out less thinly than before.



Cut into two rectangles.  A border is scored about 1/2 inch in from the edge.  I didn't want to use an egg just for this, but you could brush the border with a little beaten egg to make it go shiny after baking.

 
They were then spread thinly with pesto, topped with sliced tomatoes and olives, a little salt and pepper.  Into the oven at 200 degrees C for 20 minutes.



All done.



A very tasty lunch indeed of Pesto, Tomato, Olive Tarts!  If you are having them as they are they serve one per person, or if you add a salad you could serve one between two.

I hope that you had a lovely weekend doing something fun.  Thank you to those who have left lovely comments for me.  It is great to know that you are out there reading and to hear what you have to say.

Amy

4 comments:

  1. Amy this looks amazing!!! LOVE the combination of pesto, tomato and olive - fantastic :))
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, they were good. I will have to try with your suggestion of the feta cheese now though!

      Delete
  2. Also - very happy to follow you - I'm signing up!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, I have already been enjoying following you.

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx