Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Veggie pasta lasagna thingy

This was supposed to be dinner for 2 for one day, but it made rather more than I expected.  This was a good thing though because it lasted for 2 days.  Soooooo no cooking required on the second day - yeah!

Veggie pasta lasagna thingy is pasta shape of your choice or lasagna, mixed or layered with ratatouille and cheese.  It is delicious.

Here is how I made it:-



Cook one diced red onion in a drizzle of olive oil until soft.  You could add a little chopped garlic, but I faniced a garlic free day.



Add one chopped aubergine and a splash of sherry and water.  Stir together.



Add two chopped courgette's,



about 1 and a half chopped peppers of your choice (yellow and orange for me today),



1 tin of chopped tomatoes,



3 chopped fresh tomatoes, a good heaped teaspoon of mixed dried herbs, salt and pepper to taste.  Stir to combine.

Cover and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until all the veggies are soft.

Remove most of the veggies from the pan as this makes the next stage easier.



Add pasta to the pan that has been cooked for about three quarters of the time it says on the pack.  I used 250g dried weight of pasta.  Then return the veggies a bit at a time, stirring into the pasta as you go.



Add two to three heaped dessert spoons of pesto and stir in.  If you are using lasagna, add the pesto to the veggies, then layer lasagna and sauce and then continue as below.



Mix a small tub of ricotta cheese with some sour cream to make it "spready", I added a good grinding of black pepper as well.  You could use milk instead of the sour cream.



Spread this over the pasta and veggie mix. 



Top with some grated cheese and bake in the oven until hot and bubbly.  I used Gouda and Parmesan.  The Gouda melted rather than browning, so if you prefer a browner top I would suggest Cheddar.



Serve!

Notes and variations.

I didn't add a salad or any more veggies as it had a lot already, but it would serve 6 with a salad and some garlic bread.

You could swap the ricotta for cottage cheese or cream cheese (one with peppercorns is lovely).

It was tasty and easy to cook and as I said, made great leftovers on the second day, which made it even better!

Amended 6 Sept 13 - I use Gluten Free pasta for this as I am GF, sorry, forgot to say as it is habit to use it now.  You can of course use "normal" pasta as well I am sure!

Amy

p.s. when I finished writing and adding my photos I went back and read through and checked to make sure I had added the right photos and I just noticed that nearly all of these pictures include a spoon - you must think I am spoon obsessed.  It made me laugh at myself!!

p.p.s I wonder if it is appropriate to include a p.s. on a blog?

p.p.p.s do you think that anyone still uses a p.s. these days anyway?

p.p.p.p.s these are getting silly now, so I WILL stop!

6 comments:

  1. Ha!
    I still sue "ps's"...
    SO...
    I guess they are perfect!
    That looks delish Amy...and 2 meals makes it even MORE delish!!
    Were those eggplant and zucchini???
    Love that you use different names for things...I love everything British...I saw the Beatles!! haha!
    And...I am a 25 year Coronation fan!
    Anyhoo...enough about me!
    Great...informative...tasty post!!

    Cheres!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, yes indeed eggplant and zucchini! Another phrase for you is Corrie which is often used here instead of Coronation street. our overseas soaps are mostly Australian, so it's funny that you get English ones.

      Amy.

      Delete
    2. Oh we call it Corrie, here as well!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh this looks lovely and I will keep by me for when we have one of our dinners with the neighbours as two of them are vegetarian and I never know what to cook for them. This will be perfect, so thank you so much for sharing!
    Ellen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great - will definitely try it - will look for a dairy free alternative too
    Fil
    Fil’s Place - Old songs and Memories

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx